Old 04-08-2019, 01:28 AM   #81
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Crown 235Ah golf carts are around $240 each. I expect my House bank to last 7 years, maybe 8 with these.
Are they 8Ds, the amperage sounds like it? Are they 6 or 12v? I`d be interested to know the source, not to purchase immediately, just for the future.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Journey
Vessel Model: 1999 Island Gypsy 32
Battery Replacement

Thanks again to everyone who commented on golf cart battery brands. I just finished the conversion and I wanted to give everyone an update (picture attached). I decided on the Crown brand at 220 AH. For the house bank two pairs in series/parallel gives me 440 AH which is over twice what was available in one of my 8D's. The house bank is also used to start the Cummins engine. My Aux bank is for windlass and bow thruster and is two Crowns in series at 220 AH. When I start the Cummins engine I do a momentary parallel of the house and Aux banks. Power to spare.

Not visible in the picture is a new Balmar SG200 battery monitor which has a shunt connected in the negative path of the house bank. I have found it to be a valuable addition to the system. In particular I find it helpful to see the current that is drawn by various devices as well as the state of charge. In the past I was using voltage as a proxy for state of charge. It also provides a state of health % which is, roughly speaking, the ability of the battery to be charged to its capacity when new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Journey Battery Config.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	87470  

Gray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #83
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88FuHwa View Post
I have bought Costco batteries and they are made by Interstate. Excellent experience and 40% less expensive than buying them at an Interstate store.
You may have to shop around because not all Costco warehouses have them in stock but they will order for you. Their website provides good information.
Interstate does not make batteries. Others make batteries that Interstate sells with their name on them.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #84
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Dog View Post
Thanks again to everyone who commented on golf cart battery brands. I just finished the conversion and I wanted to give everyone an update (picture attached). I decided on the Crown brand at 220 AH. For the house bank two pairs in series/parallel gives me 440 AH which is over twice what was available in one of my 8D's. The house bank is also used to start the Cummins engine. My Aux bank is for windlass and bow thruster and is two Crowns in series at 220 AH. When I start the Cummins engine I do a momentary parallel of the house and Aux banks. Power to spare.

Not visible in the picture is a new Balmar SG200 battery monitor which has a shunt connected in the negative path of the house bank. I have found it to be a valuable addition to the system. In particular I find it helpful to see the current that is drawn by various devices as well as the state of charge. In the past I was using voltage as a proxy for state of charge. It also provides a state of health % which is, roughly speaking, the ability of the battery to be charged to its capacity when new.
No boxes? No covers instead?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #85

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Gray Dog, thanks for sharing your decision. I have a question for all who were following your thread. It's not a total hijack of your thread due to my similar situation. I, too, am replacing two 8D's with 6-volt golf cart batteries. I noticed you said you are using your new Crown 440 amp hour bank as your house and also as start batteries for your single Cummins.

I'm leaning toward 8 Trojan T-105's and sticking with flooded lead acid, just as you did. My 2 8D's were house and start batteries for my twin Cummins 6BTA engines. Should I add a start battery (or 2) to the bank of 8 T105s? I feel like I should, but I would like to save the space. Any thoughts are welcome on this. Would using the 8 Trojan T-105s as start batteries in addition to house be a bad idea?
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #86
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Also went with Crowns 4 years ago. Very pleased with their performance. Due to my cramped battery area I also went with a watering system which makes them a snap to maintain..

Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #87
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Also went with Crowns 4 years ago. Very pleased with their performance. Due to my cramped battery area I also went with a watering system which makes them a snap to maintain..

holy moly that is cramped!

speaking of watering, my sam's club duracells held water levels nicely the past 5 months but probably because they were kept charged/maintained and not drained without a charge being present (winter storage). i was worried i hadnt checked on them over winter so relieved.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #88

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Heron, are those house only or do they also serve as your start battery/batteries?
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #89
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Do you have a genset with a dedicated starting battery? I think it is easier to make a case for a single House/Starting bank so longer as there's at least one other independent charging system aboard.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #90
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post

Did you go for Crown's own watering system or another ?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #91
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
Heron, are those house only or do they also serve as your start battery/batteries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Did you go for Crown's own watering system or another ?
This is my house set-up. With only 28 feet to work with this was a challenge. I have about 6" between battery tops and the cockpit so watering was a necessity. I used one of the commonly available kits off AMAZON. Can't remember the brand. I do have a #27 start battery as well, and a pair of Victron Amp/Hour meters to keep track of it all..