Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #21
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Dog View Post
I'm in the process of replacing two 8D flooded lead acid batteries with six GC2 Golf cart batteries. I want to stay with flooded lead acid. The brands I am looking at all have about the same price for 220 amp hour models. In consideration is Crown, Interstate and Duracell.

Does anyone have experience with these brands that might help me make the best choice?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Wayne Prichard
1999 Island Gypsy 32

Crown's are excellent batteries, Duracell's are re-stickered East Penn/Deka, also a decent product.

Interstate is owned by JCI (Johnson Controls) and their GC2's have been made by various manufacturers over the years, including, at one point in time, US Battery. The JCI made GC2 6V batteries are less long lasting in our experience but today it is a guess at who actually makes their GC2 product as it changes..

If those were my only three choices I would choose the Crown product..

MarineHowTo.com
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #22

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Costco for sure, they just don’t always have them when you need them.
Bought Costco golf cart batteries when we were cruising Mexico, they were OK but didn't hold up like my Trojans did (7 years). Ended up replacing them after 3 years with new Trojans which cost a fortune down there as they had to be shipped from the US. The Costco batteries were, at the time, being supplied by Johnson Controls. Don't know if this has changed.

rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
If you go with Trojans and want bolt on terminals, I would suggest you go with the EHPT (embedded high profile terminial) post. The difference is the ability to stack more than 2-4/0 or 2/0 battery cables per post. With the standard post, the ELPT (embedded low profile terminal), you are limited to ~2. If you look at the lower right terminal, I have 1-4/0 and 2-2/0 lugs on the post. I would like to have a little more post height. It's an ELPT.

When we picked up our batteries, the seller went out of his way to stress that we use the correct torque for the nuts on the posts. He showed us 2 new batteries where a buyer (s) got a little carried away over tightening the nuts. Trojan lists the torque value at 95-105 in-lb for the ELPT or EHPT posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4B676F9-F0DD-4530-BE0D-806D6CBAA9C3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	87017  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #24
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post

I checked the specs. The Sam's Club battery (Duracell) is rated at 208 amp hours, the Deka is 230 amp hours which suggests to me that the two battery brands are not constructed identically. I am not surprised. Also, today's price at Sam's is $90.

#1 Not all Sam's locations sell the East Penn made products. If it says 208Ah, at the 20 hour rate, it is not the East Penn made GC2.

#2 The GC2 Duracell/East Penn products sold at Sam's are called the GC2 and the EGC2. If made by East Penn (again not all locations) they are identical batteries to the Deka GC10 (black case) and GC15 (gray case). I been to the factory, seen sticker application, & I have had my inside engineering contacts confirm the only difference is the sticker whether it is NAPA, West Marine, Sam's Club or others who hide behind the sticker..

#3 While the price is always good at Sam's, certainly better than West Marine who is selling the identical battery with a different sticker, the inventory can sit for a while depending on club location. If you are not in an area that moves a lot of GC batteries then you'll be better off finding a battery distributor that moves a lot of GCs's to industry or golf sectors in order to get fresh stock. We can actually buy the Deka product for less money at our battery distributor but we are buying wholesale not retail. For retail pricing it is really hard to beat Sam's Club, if you can find fresh stock.

MarineHowTo.com
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
I'll add my 2 cents about the Crown CG2 batteries. I have 4 on my boat which were relatively new but quite abused (undercharged for long periods) when I bought my current boat. They responded well to a proper charging routine and are still doing well at almost 7 years.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #26
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
If you go with Trojans and want bolt on terminals, I would suggest you go with the EHPT (embedded high profile terminial) post. The difference is the ability to stack more than 2-4/0 or 2/0 battery cables per post. With the standard post, the ELPT (embedded low profile terminal), you are limited to ~2. If you look at the lower right terminal, I have 1-4/0 and 2-2/0 lugs on the post. I would like to have a little more post height. It's an ELPT.

When we picked up our batteries, the seller went out of his way to stress that we use the correct torque for the nuts on the posts. He showed us 2 new batteries where a buyer (s) got a little carried away over tightening the nuts. Trojan lists the torque value at 95-105 in-lb for the ELPT or EHPT posts.

Larry: From the photo, it looks like the lower right terminal does not have a lot of room left on the lug (enough threads) to support those connections. I do wonder what circumstances would require more than two cables per post for a 12 volt application? Perhaps for combining batteries for a 24 VDC application?

I don’t have torque wrench in my tool kit so have been quite careful about over torquing.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #27
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Wayne
Take a look at RCs article on deep cycle battys.
https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/
I think he includes comments on those brands.
I I remember correctly he points out that they all make a "budget" line and a commercial golf cart quality line. So one point is to make sure you are comparing apples & apples.

I agree with Bacchus. Take the time to check out the information from Rod at the above website.
Most boat batteries (especially the house bank) are "killed" by their owners and live a "shortened life" compared to what is possible. Therefore, if you are not going to set up a complete system to properly maintain your bank, then you may just be spending more money on batteries than you needed to (and not really gaining any (or little) value). Overcharging and especially regularly operating at a "partial state of charge" (not regularly completely recharging to 100%) prematurely "kill" batteries. If you "look after" your batteries, you will get the most life and therefore value out of them, whatever brand you buy.
However, as Rod explains, some of the "cheap" brands are just that, cheap, and may not be a good investment.
Again, check out his information, you will probably learn a lot and probably ultimately save money as a result.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Larry: From the photo, it looks like the lower right terminal does not have a lot of room left on the lug (enough threads) to support those connections. I do wonder what circumstances would require more than two cables per post for a 12 volt application?...
Jim: It just barely supports the cables, probably 1.5 threads. It’s something that’s not right but I living with it till we replace the batteries.

You may need to stack three if you have Balmar alternator temperature sensor or their Smart Guage. It’s a tight fit if you’re using 4/0 cables.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Journey
Vessel Model: 1999 Island Gypsy 32
Battery Replacement

Thank you to everyone. I greatly appreciate the information. Will look in person this weekend. Nice wiring project coming up as well.
Gray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Hope, Idaho
Vessel Name: Mary Elyse
Vessel Model: 1964 Boston Whaler Eastport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Larry: From the photo, it looks like the lower right terminal does not have a lot of room left on the lug (enough threads) to support those connections. I do wonder what circumstances would require more than two cables per post for a 12 volt application? Perhaps for combining batteries for a 24 VDC application?

I don’t have torque wrench in my tool kit so have been quite careful about over torquing.

Jim
Here are FOUR stout cables on a lug, running three G31 batteries in parallel and wanting all cable lengths to be equal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	336A07E5-41F3-492E-914D-B35A1DC2F6E7.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	87021  
OldToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #31

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Trojan

I’ve got Trojan T105RE
Not much mentioned about them on these forums
I called Trajan 4 yrs ago when I installed them, their advice was to go with the “RE” version, some mystery carbon technology, but supposedly happier with the 80% SOG most of us experience. Regular golf cart batteries are usually fully charged at the end of the day. Most boats rarely see this.
The “RE” series stands for renewable energy, designed for use in off the grid systems.
Time will tell but 4 years and no loss of capacity.
Look at their website, the “RE” series has a much longer life span.

Life on the hook 6mnts/yr
1 hr gen charge per day, while I make water
780 watts solar topped off by 2pm most days.
Runs all my goodies incl ice maker and wash machine.
Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #32
FF
Guru

When lots of cables are required to be installed the auto style posts can use military style connections that make multiple connections easy.

No worries about over torquing a bolt set in lead. At NAPA https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_728223

Ordnance / Military Bolt Type Battery Terminals

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Spec...32180552&psc=1
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I just got 8 years out of my Sam's Club Duracells. Only lost the bank because shore power was down for a few months while unattended on the hard.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #34

City: Sodus Pt NY
Vessel Name: Steadfast
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Interstate GC2 Made by Trojan

FYI

Currently the Interstate GC2 batteries are manufactured by Trojan. It is the T-105. I was skeptical at first when my supplier told me that. However I did need some charging specifics for my solar setup that could not be answered by my local vendor. I was referred to an engineer at Interstate that also confirmed it. The smaller 6V GC battery is still made by Johnson controls. They are trying to regain market share in that sector and have recognized some shortcomings.

It may make it easier for some to find an Interstate dealer vs a Trojan dealer. They seem to have a larger distribution network. Certainly helps me, I have a wholesale acct with them. They deliver to my door once a week. They have a presence in most cities and seem hospitable to "walk in customers".
Mragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #35

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
When lots of cables are required to be installed the auto style posts can use military style connections that make multiple connections easy.

No worries about over torquing a bolt set in lead. At NAPA https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_728223

Ordnance / Military Bolt Type Battery Terminals

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Spec...32180552&psc=1
+1 on Ordnance clamps. My boat came with the accident-waiting-to-happen molded stud clamps. A stud actually pulled out while I was disassembling the bank for replacement. Ordnance clamps solve that problem and accommodate 4 lugs, 2 per side. Available at any battery shop. I stayed with Sam’s East Penn for batteries, and they’ve performed well. I thought about going with Rolls, but the distributor quoted me an 8 week lead time, which seemed nuts, and after wrestling my Interstate 8D start batteries out of the ER, I swore off 165 lb batteries anyway (I replaced the 8D’s with 3 Interstate Workaholic Group 34, they spin the 3208’s like a top).
Old 03-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Pay attention to anything that CMS writes about batteries and it is worthwhile to peruse and read the information on his website.

When I needed to replace batteries on my last sailboat, I used Costco GC batteries. At the time, they were made by Interstate batteries and were the same as Interstate’s “budget” GC batteries. The cost was about $100 per battery less than the Trojans if I recall correctly. I am not suggesting that the Costco batteries were “just as good” as the Trojan, but for my needs they were plenty “good enough”. If I was a full-time cruiser in a remote area, then the extra cost of the Trojan (or similar) might have been worth it.

As others have said, the most important thing is how the batteries are maintained. If you and your equipment are very good at maintaining batteries, then you will get good life out of both types. If you or your equipment aren’t, you are likely to kill off either type of battery in a hurry.

Another way I looked at it, was that I felt that the Trojans might give me 30% more battery life. They were going to cost me almost 100% more. Factor in the hassle of replacing them (not that difficult once you are configured for the GC batteries) and go the direction you are most comfortable with.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #37

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToby View Post
Here are FOUR stout cables on a lug, running three G31 batteries in parallel and wanting all cable lengths to be equal.
Nice Job!!!
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #38
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Very happy with my x8 Crowns, which replaced US Batteries. BUT when the Crowns go, they will be replaced by 3-4 Fireflys.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #39
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Very happy with my x8 Crowns, which replaced US Batteries. BUT when the Crowns go, they will be replaced by 3-4 Fireflys.
Why Fireflys? Most of us know the Firefly story but to offset the much higher cost than FLAs what advantages do you see? With some on TF already having them this may be a good time to advise us on - has the real world matched the sales promotion?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #40

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
I've been using Dyno GC2b batteries for several years and they've performed well. Made locally in Seattle and available through Fisheries Supply. Not sure if they're available elsewhere in the country.

Dyno offers two GC2 batteries: the GC2e and GC2b. The GC2e has 17 plates, weighs 61 lbs, and is rated at 225ah. The GC2b has 19 plates, weighs 67 lbs, and is rated at 235ah.

Here are the specs: http://www.dynobattery.com/SpecGC2.pdf

Also look at how many different GC2 size batteries Interstate makes! https://www.interstatebatteries.com/.../extreme-cycle

Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote