Advice on 1978 Puget Trawler or similar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorSam

I am buying a 78 Puget Trawler 37 foot with single Ford Lehman 120 engine. I have limited haul out time and limited shopping options so anyone know what zincs are typically used on the hull and what size prop(left hand of right) and zinc so I can have them ready for the haul out? Any photos of this type of hull out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome... and congratulations on your new vessel.

As for the size, most boatyards have zincs in all sizes available for purchase. Otherwise, go to Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender and buy them there. Inexpensive, fast shipping and they don't gouge you on postage. No tax either since you're in Michigan.

Good luck. Etc.

And congratulations.

I imagine that the only zincs you have to worry about will be the shaft zinc and possibly a zinc on the rudder. You can measure the shaft inside the boat and rudder zincs usually are round with a 1/4" thru bolt. As far as the prop goes you are going to have to wait until you are hauled out to find the diameter and pitch (it should be stamped on the hub). I imagine it is a right hand on a single. A right hand prop will walk the boat to port in reverse.

On my trawler I use shaft zincs, for which you need to know the shaft diameter, rudder zincs, for which you need to know where the zinc attaches, so that you don't get one that wont sit flat against the rudder, and a pair of hull zincs to which the bonding wires attach on the inside. The hull zincs I use are 6" square by 1/2" thick.
If you know that your moorage has no stray current in the water you may get away with less, but then, somebody new moves in and your zincs are gone in 4 months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom