Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #61
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,911
Winter storms suck anywhere , including LI Sound.

With a chart book to show the many harbors an inshore passage , seldom more than 15 miles between anchorages , so hardly a risk for a super storm.

Sure it might be cold , but you will have all the anchorages to yourself , and in a real emergency , the USCG will still have operating boats.

A good test run, a few fuel filters , an anchor drill and a nice weather report would be all that's needed for a safe trip.

Its rare but the highest current I have ever encountered (my home waters for 40 years) in either the East river or LI Sound has been 5 K.

There probably will only be commercial fuel open , no marinas , at Port Judith , New Bedford and other commercial ports.

Enjoy the trip .Don't let the folks that have never had the pleasure of winter operations scare you.
__________________
Advertisement

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Winter storms suck anywhere , including LI Sound.

With a chart book to show the many harbors an inshore passage , seldom more than 15 miles between anchorages , so hardly a risk for a super storm.

Sure it might be cold , but you will have all the anchorages to yourself , and in a real emergency , the USCG will still have operating boats.

A good test run, a few fuel filters , an anchor drill and a nice weather report would be all that's needed for a safe trip.

Its rare but the highest current I have ever encountered (my home waters for 40 years) in either the East river or LI Sound has been 5 K.

There probably will only be commercial fuel open , no marinas , at Port Judith , New Bedford and other commercial ports.

Enjoy the trip .Don't let the folks that have never had the pleasure of winter operations scare you.
I view fears/valid risks as manageable with preparation. As people bring risks to this thread, I am either able to address them with some prep, equipment or not. And if there are too many not handled, we simply won't go.
__________________

bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"Life is risky but we can affect it quite a bit."
- new boat , unknown machinery
- no sea trail of merit
- unknown fuel condition
- no hull insurance
- no tow boats on water
- very limited LEO assets available
- virtually no rec boats monitoring radio or in sight
- cold 10X more risky then warm weather
- no reasonable need to move boat now
- unfamiliar with boats handling
- unknown cruise speeds and fuel burn
- unfamiliar with route and sea states

I am really not sure if there is any measurable reason to make the trip rather than prepare and wait.
I'm going to address each one of these, some valid concerns IMO:

- new boat , unknown machinery
[Will do a shakedown with mechanic, and hired captain comes with mechanic mate who will review as well.]
- no sea trail of merit
[Same concern repeated]
- unknown fuel condition
[I will know it before trip. I will either remove old fuel or polish. If polishing comes up with too much junk, will not go until tanks cleaned.]
- no hull insurance
[I was able to secure hull insurance]
- no tow boats on water
[Not true, I verified]
- very limited LEO assets available
[Don't know what you mean]
- virtually no rec boats monitoring radio or in sight
[In sight... ok, not so sure about radio...]
- cold 10X more risky then warm weather
[Agree, though 2X, 5X, 10X is really hard to quantify]
- no reasonable need to move boat now
[Lots of reasons, slip expensive in NYC, boat is not wrapped therefore open to elements, boat is distance enough away that I can't attend to the protection I want to do soon, seller needs slip back (but is patient), marina may not take kindly to new owner in slip, do not want run in with NY tax folks...]
- unfamiliar with boats handling
[Hired captain, and how does anyone ever leave the first time? Every first trip you are unfamiliar.]
- unknown cruise speeds and fuel burn
[Disagree, the KK42 is well documented]
- unfamiliar with route and sea states
[Hired captain from local area]

At the moment I feel comfortable that I can address every issue but the weather window. I feel that I will find that by the time I'm ready (probably mid February) that the weather windows will be one or two days long, which won't be enough for me. If they are three/four days I think it could be done. Again those parameters are:
  • 3-4 days window
  • Less than 3 foot seas, maybe 2 foot along route
  • Temperature greater than freezing
  • Winds less than 10? 7?
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #64
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,911
Winter storms are well shown on local TV days in advance .

The usual is a front of a day or two duration , followed by a bunch of cold clear fine weather.

If caught in an anchorage for a couple of days , how will the boat & crew be kept warm?

NYC winter is common mid 20's at night , mid 30's daytime.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #65
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
I'm going to address each one of these, some valid concerns IMO:

- new boat , unknown machinery
[Will do a shakedown with mechanic, and hired captain comes with mechanic mate who will review as well.]
- no sea trail of merit
[Same concern repeated]
- unknown fuel condition
[I will know it before trip. I will either remove old fuel or polish. If polishing comes up with too much junk, will not go until tanks cleaned.]
- no hull insurance
[I was able to secure hull insurance]
- no tow boats on water
[Not true, I verified]
- very limited LEO assets available
[Don't know what you mean]
- virtually no rec boats monitoring radio or in sight
[In sight... ok, not so sure about radio...]
- cold 10X more risky then warm weather
[Agree, though 2X, 5X, 10X is really hard to quantify]
- no reasonable need to move boat now
[Lots of reasons, slip expensive in NYC, boat is not wrapped therefore open to elements, boat is distance enough away that I can't attend to the protection I want to do soon, seller needs slip back (but is patient), marina may not take kindly to new owner in slip, do not want run in with NY tax folks...]
- unfamiliar with boats handling
[Hired captain, and how does anyone ever leave the first time? Every first trip you are unfamiliar.]
- unknown cruise speeds and fuel burn
[Disagree, the KK42 is well documented]
- unfamiliar with route and sea states
[Hired captain from local area]

At the moment I feel comfortable that I can address every issue but the weather window. I feel that I will find that by the time I'm ready (probably mid February) that the weather windows will be one or two days long, which won't be enough for me. If they are three/four days I think it could be done. Again those parameters are:
  • 3-4 days window
  • Less than 3 foot seas, maybe 2 foot along route
  • Temperature greater than freezing
  • Winds less than 10? 7?

We have boated out of Northport LI for the past 30 years - made similar legs to that trip maybe 60 times or more over that period.
I would delay the trip and deal with the handleably issues at hand - shrink the topside, travel by car to the boat and deal with some of the mechanicals, get practice with the machinery and familiar with the boat, and travel in a few months when conditions improve dramatically.
FWIW - these items that were unclear....

- no tow boats on water
[Not true, I verified]

Towers in our location are unmanned and not ready to roll, these are franchises where they have other jobs/concerns when the phone goes dead in the winter. A tower 50 miles away is a long haul and a long wait at best.
- very limited LEO assets available
[Don't know what you mean]

LEO is law enforcement - as I posted above, just in our small area these boats number at about 15 in the summer within 10 miles. Best case is 1 or 2 in the winter and at the docks not on patrol.

- virtually no rec boats monitoring radio or in sight
[In sight... ok, not so sure about radio...]

Dockmasters, clubs, boaters on deck are all but zero in our area of LI sound now. That goes up to dozens by the start of the season.

- unknown cruise speeds and fuel burn
[Disagree, the KK42 is well documented]
OK so whet is it then? MAX WOT? High cruise speed at what RPM and fuel usage? Constant cruise speed at what RPM and fuel usage?

*]3-4 days window
- What stops (destinations) are you planning on making?

[*]Less than 3 foot seas, maybe 2 foot along route
-Not all that predictable to this extent - can change within a day rather easily.
[*]Winds less than 10? 7?
- Wind direction is more important than speed.

FWIW - I have done all of our own maintenance these past years on a few boats...including engines , cutlass, shafts, transmissions, thru hulls, tank cleaning , etc
When we bought one of our used boats in Haverstraw in January we left in there and I worked on it in place while the weather mostly cleared.
We really like boating , it should be fun Ö these are not paths I would take for reasons listed Ö.good luck.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
- unknown cruise speeds and fuel burn
[Disagree, the KK42 is well documented]
OK so whet is it then? MAX WOT? High cruise speed at what RPM and fuel usage? Constant cruise speed at what RPM and fuel usage?

*]3-4 days window
- What stops (destinations) are you planning on making?
[*]Less than 3 foot seas, maybe 2 foot along route
-Not all that predictable to this extent - can change within a day rather easily.
[*]Winds less than 10? 7?
- Wind direction is more important than speed.
Thanks for your thoughtful input. I am carefully working out the details, second visit to the new boat is this Monday (worst possible cold day coincidentally)

Answers to the above:

Cruise speed and fuel burn: http://krogen42stout.com/s/graph.pdf

Stops not planned yet, working on that.

Waves: Yeah, I was afraid of this, and is the wisdom I was looking for...

Winds: I'm not as concerned, not a sailboat, but I'm open to thought. Obviously a lot of wind against a current will cause problems, so really just looking for the best possible combination of weather.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #67
Veteran Member
 
CptnPete's Avatar
 
City: Scituate
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Morton & Hersloff Webbers Cove 40
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful input. I am carefully working out the details, second visit to the new boat is this Monday (worst possible cold day coincidentally).
Sounds like you are planning well. Our 140Mi 2 day April trip last year in some of the same waters had a 4 day weather window. Shore was close by. Water was 38 degrees. Wind 10 knts on stern then beam then bow. Here's a vid of our ride:

It was a great trip and glad we made a go of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0104.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	84411  
CptnPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Winter storms are well shown on local TV days in advance .

The usual is a front of a day or two duration , followed by a bunch of cold clear fine weather.

If caught in an anchorage for a couple of days , how will the boat & crew be kept warm?

NYC winter is common mid 20's at night , mid 30's daytime.
Warm crew =
Primary: Espar
Secondary: A generator and electric heaters.
Tertiary: Maybe a small honda backup gen.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #69
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful input. I am carefully working out the details, second visit to the new boat is this Monday (worst possible cold day coincidentally)

Answers to the above:

Cruise speed and fuel burn: http://krogen42stout.com/s/graph.pdf

Stops not planned yet, working on that.

Waves: Yeah, I was afraid of this, and is the wisdom I was looking for...

Winds: I'm not as concerned, not a sailboat, but I'm open to thought. Obviously a lot of wind against a current will cause problems, so really just looking for the best possible combination of weather.


"Winds: I'm not as concerned, not a sailboat, but I'm open to thought."
In Long Island sound the wave action is more of a function of wind direction as opposed to just wind speed. Not having to do with sailboats or power just how the waves build due to fetch.

- Have you priced moving the boat overland? The mast is already down and its a 15' beam.
- Have you seen the bottom of that boat that has not been hauled in 5 years?
-Stops not planned yet, working on that.
That will be part of the challenge as they add greatly to time and distance when considering a short sunshine day, tidal currents and the weather.
- This is likely a better feel for speeds based on a model with a 135 in excellent condition.
http://www.curtisstokes.net/pdf/traw...-stevedore.pdf
Cruising Speed: Cruising Speed: 7 kn Max Speed: Max Speed: 8 kn

Here are some pictures I would want to carefully inspect the bottom and running gear myself.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...-42-103428076/

https://www.popyachts.com/trawlers-f...ew-york-161408
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"Winds: I'm not as concerned, not a sailboat, but I'm open to thought."
In Long Island sound the wave action is more of a function of wind direction as opposed to just wind speed. Not having to do with sailboats or power just how the waves build due to fetch.

- Have you priced moving the boat overland? The mast is already down and its a 15' beam.
- Have you seen the bottom of that boat that has not been hauled in 5 years?
-Stops not planned yet, working on that.
That will be part of the challenge as they add greatly to time and distance when considering a short sunshine day, tidal currents and the weather.
- This is likely a better feel for speeds based on a model with a 135 in excellent condition.
http://www.curtisstokes.net/pdf/traw...-stevedore.pdf
Cruising Speed: Cruising Speed: 7 kn Max Speed: Max Speed: 8 kn

Here are some pictures I would want to carefully inspect the bottom and running gear myself.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...-42-103428076/

https://www.popyachts.com/trawlers-f...ew-york-161408
That's the boat we are talking about just in case I've not been clear. It's cosmetically terrible, but it's been maintained by a mechanic for the past five years. Diver on it every year to do zincs. Was hauled three years ago.

That cruising speed matches my plan.

It's 20 feet tall. I feel that's too tall to truck reasonably. Open to thoughts on that though.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #71
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
That's the boat we are talking about just in case I've not been clear. It's cosmetically terrible, but it's been maintained by a mechanic for the past five years. Diver on it every year to do zincs. Was hauled three years ago.

That cruising speed matches my plan.

It's 20 feet tall. I feel that's too tall to truck reasonably. Open to thoughts on that though.
I hope you have seen the bottom. In some marinas zincs need to be changed every three months. That potentially leaves 9 months of metal being eaten. True story: I know someone who has a friend that bought a brand new 500k boat in Nov a couple years ago. It was left in water Dec through Mar for winter. IIRC it started to sink but was caught and upon hauling all metal was pretty much eaten. I think $200k in damage. His insurance initially denied but eventually covered, in subrogation now. Guess what it was? He had a powered amp for his HDTV antenna and the coax somehow came in contact with metal on the boat and cause electrolysis over a couple months that basically destroyed the boat. I believe whoever installed/connected it (factory option but I dont remember if installed/connected by the dealer or factory) made a mistake somewhere along the way. As soon as I heard that story, I went to unplug my HDTV amplifier. I only plug it in if I need to use it now.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #72
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 796
Is that mold in the cabin??
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #73
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
That's the boat we are talking about just in case I've not been clear. It's cosmetically terrible, but it's been maintained by a mechanic for the past five years. Diver on it every year to do zincs. Was hauled three years ago.

That cruising speed matches my plan.

It's 20 feet tall. I feel that's too tall to truck reasonably. Open to thoughts on that though.
Please note these items...
- It's 20 feet tall
Have you measured it from keel to top of fixed structure?
Or at least measured from waterline to top of fixed structure?
- That cruising speed is for a very clean boat with a 135 hp engine and good prop.
- The add says it was hauled 5 years back, your initial post says that the thru hulls are original.
- You have no real idea what the prop, strut, shaft, cutlass etc looks like
- No sea trail numbers
- Does your insurance have a clear rider on cruising this boat in the NE in the winter months? (in writing)

I would price moving it by land ...lift it onto the truck ...move and then block it at the destination.
This cost would be offset by hauling now, seatrails, a captain, fuel polishing now ,trip prep costs ,trip issues, trip time and the possible breakdown or delay miles away from home port for days/weeks/ or months.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #74
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Is that mold in the cabin??
Yes - and many leaks and mechanical concerns that I can see.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Lots of leaks on decks over years, but slow and from topside attachments. No leaks in bilge or hull, I was on it for a couple of hours, never pumped or raised level. Mechanical concerns, please list them, I'd be interested in your review in addition to the two mechanics that I'll have going over it.

I will price it by land just for fun. My measurements are from the plans, keel to top of fly bridge without mast.

I'll look for the rider, but why does it have to be included? The policy does not have any time restrictions, only a 75 miles from coastline restriction.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Is that mold in the cabin??
Yes, very light mold, almost hard to find, the kind you'd see on something that was left empty for a couple of months. I've bought and sold many vehicles/real estate in my life, and I expected a lot more on a boat left empty for two years.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #77
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Lots of leaks, but slow and from attachments. Mechanical concerns, please list them, I'd be interested in your review in addition to the two mechanics that I'll have going over it.

I will price it by land just for fun. My measurements are from the plans, keel to top of fly bridge without mast.

I'll look for the rider, but why does it have to be included? The policy does not have any time restrictions, only a 75 miles from coastline restriction.
"I'll look for the rider, but why does it have to be included? The policy does not have any time restrictions, only a 75 miles from coastline restriction"

All of our insurance policies for all of our past boats on Long Island included a layup period in the winter months - does yours not have a layup period? They also included a home port and limits based upon intended usage. They also all required a survey at 15 years and then at intervals after that age.
If your policy has no such issues then you are AOK.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #78
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Lots of leaks on decks over years, but slow and from topside attachments. No leaks in bilge or hull, I was on it for a couple of hours, never pumped or raised level. Mechanical concerns, please list them, I'd be interested in your review in addition to the two mechanics that I'll have going over it.

I will price it by land just for fun. My measurements are from the plans, keel to top of fly bridge without mast.

I'll look for the rider, but why does it have to be included? The policy does not have any time restrictions, only a 75 miles from coastline restriction.
"I will price it by land just for fun. My measurements are from the plans, keel to top of fly bridge without mast."

20' from lowest point to fixed upper structure - I find that hard to believe but its not my boat.
I will guess its closer to 18' with the prop on and topsides cleared of all removable items. Removing the prop may help with getting it lower on a trailer. A trucker familiar with these may be able to haul this at night with chase vehicles if and where necessary.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
No layup on policy.

Draft is 4'7" and height from waterline is 15+.

Edit: 14' , so 18' 7"
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #80
Veteran Member
 
Dcbeach's Avatar
 
City: Stamford Ct
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Salty Lady
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 59
As a KK- 42 owner, I can only advise you that the worst ride Iíve experienced in 40 years on the water was entering Long Island Sound from the East River into a 4í head sea. The very short period almost knocks your teeth out at any speed.

The best move I made was having the tanks cleaned, not fuel polished. If you have never seen the interior of a 40 year old diesel tanks bottom with the inches of almost solid sludge, then I recommend you research it. That sludge would probably never be an issue unless the seas turned against you. At the point it begins to break up, you will be clogged, not just the filters, but the pick up tubes.

Pick your weather window for your trip, then schedule your tanks to be cleaned.

For me, that piece of mind of cleaning the tanks was paramount. But after seeing the tanks condition when drained, that made the decision a no brainer.

The KK-42 will take you anywhere, in any weather, you just might not enjoy the ride.

Iím sure you will enjoy her.
Iím in Ct, PM me we can talked to
__________________

Dcbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×