Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,986
[QUOTEAll advice has been excellent, I think the only advice I may not want to follow (but I hear you) is the wait until Spring. It's 7-8 knots cruise, therefore 19 hours (if I recall), and the local captain is not fazed by it.
][/QUOTE]

We went from way down inside Manhassett Bay to Mystic in about 13 hours in our Albin which is a 6.5-7 knot boat. It was 3rd week of May and we caught the outgoing current for much of the run. We ran right up the middle of the sound.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Jay Leonard

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,776
Congrats!! Nice boat, and do keep us posted.
__________________

__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member
 
CptnPete's Avatar
 
City: Scituate
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Morton & Hersloff Webbers Cove 40
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 48
Good for you and good plan! Weather window is probably your biggest challenge on logistics - sounds like winter is finally coming to southern new England and may be here for a while. There may be a slight window middle to end of next week, but the polar vortex gurus claim very soon after the cold winter shoe is really gonna drop.
CptnPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #24
TJM
Senior Member
 
City: Essex, Ct.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 230
A Krogen with a Lehman 120 ?
Awesome combination. I have twin FL120's and they run great. Fuel system is easy to bleed. Just as an FYI, we are in the water in Essex, Ct and the ice is beginning to form on the Ct river and flow south into the sound. If you need a hand during the journey let me know, I am very familiar with the harbors and the engines and a winter boat ride is awesome. We are live aboards and locked in by bubblers now.
__________________
Tom and Cheryl
"Harmony"
1982 41' President
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #25
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: Wrangell, Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,796
I hope you have a captain with some experience on Krogens.
The first time I ever had a fuel issue was in that exact trip you propose.
Caused by seas rough enough to stir the sludge at the bottom of the tank.

I see, you don't want to wait until spring. Ok, but wait until you have light winds, less than 5 knots and almost flat seas, less than a foot.

If you got such conditions, don't stop until you must.

A boat in the condition you describe can make the trip, but the rougher the seas, the more likelihood you have of something not working, breaking, etc.

Clean at least one fuel tank. Transfer all the fuel to other tank, open inspection port and make sure you don't have gallons is rusty water and or sludge in the tank.
Change all your fuel fliters.

Wair for the right weather.
Do not go with any head winds, no matter how light.
Good luck
__________________
Richard on Dauntless,
New York

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I hope you have a captain with some experience on Krogens.
The first time I ever had a fuel issue was in that exact trip you propose.
Caused by seas rough enough to stir the sludge at the bottom of the tank.

I see, you don't want to wait until spring. Ok, but wait until you have light winds, less than 5 knots and almost flat seas, less than a foot.

If you got such conditions, don't stop until you must.

A boat in the condition you describe can make the trip, but the rougher the seas, the more likelihood you have of something not working, breaking, etc.

Clean at least one fuel tank. Transfer all the fuel to other tank, open inspection port and make sure you don't have gallons is rusty water and or sludge in the tank.
Change all your fuel fliters.

Wair for the right weather.
Do not go with any head winds, no matter how light.
Good luck
Richard, your wisdom is invaluable. I might end up having to wait to Spring, I'm just trying not to. Mother nature will decide.

Planned on waiting for decent weather. My personal aim was greater than 32 degrees, winds less than 10, and seas less than 2-3 with a window of 3-4 days (trip is two). Maybe that's too aggressive.

Sludge in the fuel tank is currently my biggest concern. Does anyone know what it takes to polish without a polishing system on board?
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #27
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Richard, your wisdom is invaluable. I might end up having to wait to Spring, I'm just trying not to. Mother nature will decide.

Planned on waiting for decent weather. My personal aim was greater than 32 degrees, winds less than 10, and seas less than 2-3 with a window of 3-4 days (trip is two). Maybe that's too aggressive.

Sludge in the fuel tank is currently my biggest concern. Does anyone know what it takes to polish without a polishing system on board?
The thanks need to be emptied, cleaned, and probably new fuel. I would not polish what is in there given your comments about the boat sitting so long. You will likely need to bring the boat to a yard capable of such services as many marina locations will not let such activities be performed on their grounds. This probably means splashing boat and getting a tow to such a yard.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #28
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Ok, short but momentous update, and I'll probably start a new thread when I have time. Boat appears to be mine now... knock on wood.

42 Kadey Krogen. 120 HP Lehman. Neglected cosmetically, maintained to a basic standard in my book mechanically. I will be cleaning it out first, then spending time with it, then moving it. I'm closing to booking a delivery captain and mechanic to help move it.

Liability insurance was easy to get, hull insurance is proving to be very difficult.

All advice has been excellent, I think the only advice I may not want to follow (but I hear you) is the wait until Spring. It's 7-8 knots cruise, therefore 19 hours (if I recall), and the local captain is not fazed by it. I'm hoping to get a window where it is not snotty. What that definition is.... up for debate. If that is not possible, I'll consider myself forced to wait...

I'm a person who researches and prepares fastidiously, I have copied down every single suggestion in the thread and am reviewing the big logistical challenge. Exciting times ahead.
You do not say where you are going to end up in RI but you may find that hull insurance is required at marinas. Whether you intend to stay at a marina or just have it hauled there it is typically required where we are in the NE.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #29
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,153
feb/ march is early to expect settled weather.
It is good to ride the ebb out of the sound and the flood into RI to add to your speed.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #30
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
feb/ march is early to expect settled weather.
It is good to ride the ebb out of the sound and the flood into RI to add to your speed.
I was able to do just that pretty well with a 15-18 knot cruise.
Not so helpful when I had the 6-7 knot trawler.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #31
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,153
Easier than bucking the tide. It is a tactic from sailing days
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #32
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Easier than bucking the tide. It is a tactic from sailing days
How do you not buck the tide when you leave NYC and head for RI with a 6 knot boat?
The only answer is to time the tides and travel for less than maybe 6 hours a day.
With hitting stops (marinas) along the way on each leg that will lead to a longer trip and maybe a 4 day travel time.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
How do you not buck the tide when you leave NYC and head for RI with a 6 knot boat?
The only answer is to time the tides and travel for less than maybe 6 hours a day.
With hitting stops (marinas) along the way on each leg that will lead to a longer trip and maybe a 4 day travel time.
8-9 knots methinks. I'm planning for 7, 19 hours of travel.

I don't think the ebb/flow once reaching LI Sound is that dramatic in terms of speed, is it? Just looked it up, less than a knot...
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #34
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
8-9 knots methinks. I'm planning for 7, 19 hours of travel.

I don't think the ebb/flow once reaching LI Sound is that dramatic in terms of speed, is it? Just looked it up, less than a knot...
Yes, travel on the LI sound can be impacted by tides, winds, currents, etc. Sailboaters who travel at similar speeds as you specifically plan their trips around. If you have overall bad conditions you might run a couple knots slower. I did a similar trip up to RI recently and with the tides, winds, currents in my favor I usually was 3 mph faster. On this particular trip I was 3 mph slower. You do not want to travel during borderline freezing temps because the water will freeze all over your boat and decks.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
City: Marion, Massachusetts
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 390
You want to hit the Race at the right current conditions and preferably not an opposing wind. Itís discussed pretty well in Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book. If you donít have one, itís essential for that neck of the woods.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF1984 View Post
You want to hit the Race at the right current conditions and preferably not an opposing wind. Itís discussed pretty well in Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book. If you donít have one, itís essential for that neck of the woods.
I'm hiring a captain, but I'll educate myself as well, thanks for the heads up all.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #37
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
8-9 knots methinks. I'm planning for 7, 19 hours of travel.

I don't think the ebb/flow once reaching LI Sound is that dramatic in terms of speed, is it? Just looked it up, less than a knot...
The Eldrige book is the best answer above for tidal flow both near NYC and out in LI sound - we always had one on board. Tidal flow is about twice what you think in the middle of the sound at full run Ö.and can be easily 4X that at various spots near NY and out at the Race.
What about the destination and your insurance? Has that been addressed?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #38
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
8-9 knots methinks. I'm planning for 7, 19 hours of travel.

I don't think the ebb/flow once reaching LI Sound is that dramatic in terms of speed, is it? Just looked it up, less than a knot...
Does this say that you are planning on a continuous 8-9 knot cruise from a 42 with 120 hp?
Also consider how many stops and what mileage will they add to the trip.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Destination and insurance are all set.

I was planning for a slower 7 knots. I'm going to check the power/speed curves again to be sure that's achievable.

I keep hearing a lot of flows/tides/ebbs = fast, but the data I find online suggests 0.75 knots maximum. Can anyone speak to it being faster in the middle of the sound? Sure, exiting the East River it will be up to five there (and will be timed), but once in the sound I'm not seeing the currents everyone is talking about... (again, I'm not the captain on this trip, but I'm going to study like I am).
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #40
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Destination and insurance are all set.

I was planning for a slower 7 knots. I'm going to check the power/speed curves again to be sure that's achievable.

I keep hearing a lot of flows/tides/ebbs = fast, but the data I find online suggests 0.75 knots maximum. Can anyone speak to it being faster in the middle of the sound? Sure, exiting the East River it will be up to five there (and will be timed), but once in the sound I'm not seeing the currents everyone is talking about... (again, I'm not the captain on this trip, but I'm going to study like I am).
Your much better off with the 2019 Eldrigde book for like $12 but if you want to just play around this will likely answer your questions.

ftp://ftp.library.noaa.gov/noaa_docu...Sound_1979.pdf
__________________

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×