Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #41
FF
Guru

"it is the air surveillance cameras, whether satellite or plane that will tattle your presence. Don't for a second think the U.S. government doesn't have a record of the name & home port of each & every small yacht in Cuban waters."

Satellites may zip by overhead , but their photo recon works just fine at lower angles.

What was WOW! a few years ago by our 17 gov agency's that keep track of us all,is now common off the shelf commercial product.

Googled your home street lately?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #42
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"it is the air surveillance cameras, whether satellite or plane that will tattle your presence. Don't for a second think the U.S. government doesn't have a record of the name & home port of each & every small yacht in Cuban waters."

Satellites may zip by overhead , but their photo recon works just fine at lower angles.

What was WOW! a few years ago by our 17 gov agency's that keep track of us all,is now common off the shelf commercial product.

Googled your home street lately?

Lower angles? You must be kidding. How is a satellite going to get a picture of you stern HORIZONTALLY? Please. And even if it could, the satellite cannot orient itself to the direction a boat is heading. Methinks you ascribe far too much capability. In any case, the satellite folks have better things to do with their eqipment to potentially nab a couple of pleasure boaters going to Cuba.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The US has a very accurate accounting of vessels that visit Cuba. As a friend of mine found out.

Plus we had a decent idea back in the 1980's with low tech....guess what is available today? Satellites included. In the 80's were were tracking prop noises with sub gear and cataloging them...still think the Gov't is clueless?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #44
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I also feel that the best way to “support” our government is to call out actions it makes that are morally wrong, economically stupid, or simply illegal. I’ve had lots of opportunity to support the government over the past couple of years.
Bravo, mon ami!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dh. Commendable. Easy to say but hard to do particularly in these trying times.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #46
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

I also feel that the best way to “support” our government is to call out actions it makes that are morally wrong, economically stupid, or simply illegal. I’ve had lots of opportunity to support the government over the past couple of years.

I'm glad someone over there is doing the right thing
Old 06-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #47
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
...Among a plethora of other reasons the Cuban embargo is a left over from the era where "Commies" were the flavor of the day as far as necessary enemies of the US goes.
(Underlined bit mine).

Why does it seem necessary for the US to always have an enemy?

Anybody want to take a stab at it, or provide a link to someone who has?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #48
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
(Underlined bit mine).

Same answer as to the question of why we fight so many wars (so badly):
Power/Money.

If it wasn't profitable, we wouldn't keep doing it.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #49
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
(Underlined bit mine).

War is big business and business is booming.

https://www.eurekastreet.com.au/arti...s-war-industry
Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #50
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

We go with our strengths.

I don't think the US is all that unusual. Adversaries are handy things. They serve as a foil to a particular party, policy, or political agenda. Those contrasts setup the "us vs them" and since no one wants to be a "them", they tend to fall in line with the rest of the "us".

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #51
Guru

The US is far from perfect but also far from turning a blind eye to many international wrongs.

I would love to sit back and let other powerful nation's be a world super power and let them call the shots.

Hope you all enjoy that ride.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #52
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. MM Re: post #47. Read Orwell's 1984 and take note of the purpose of the daily 2 minutes of hate and of Emmanuel Goldstein's role.

DD Eisenhower was spot on with his warning about the dangers of the military industrial complex. Cuban embargo is a small part of the scenario.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #53
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Lower angles? You must be kidding. How is a satellite going to get a picture of you stern HORIZONTALLY? Please. And even if it could, the satellite cannot orient itself to the direction a boat is heading. Methinks you ascribe far too much capability. In any case, the satellite folks have better things to do with their eqipment to potentially nab a couple of pleasure boaters going to Cuba.
There's a lot more going on in that part of the world than "a couple of pleasure boaters going to Cuba." That's why gov't entities keep track, & the innocent intents of pure pleasure & cross-cultural interaction may not be apparent at first glance when a U.S. boat makes for Cuba. In 1994 I was adrift (no engine/no wind) very close to Cuban waters, & for a while didn't know if we were going to end up in Cuba or Florida. If I'd had no choice because of mechanical/weather circumstances, of course I'd have made the most of it. As an anthropologist by trade (long retired), the thought of Cuba was enticing, but I'd never deliberately risk becoming a political pawn/object lesson & the resultant additional consequences just to satisfy my curiosity. As Fate & the Gulf Stream had it, the crew eventually ended up in a motel in Key West, watching TV & eating a pint each of Hagen-Daz. I'll be headed south again, but cautious where the new bow points.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #54

City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
Just got to coal country eastern KY in my new Cad XT5, daughter has been here two years with Americorp, wonderful people, different, but really friendly and polite, complementary on my ride, however have seen quite a few $80K pickups...
Old 06-06-2019, 05:32 AM   #55
FF
Guru

"Why does it seem necessary for the US to always have an enemy?"

Our freedom & capitalism create success , dictators and buroRats can only destroy .

We defend our freedoms , which creates multiple enemies.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #56
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. FF. Hahahaha....
Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #57
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Expand your horizons by going thousands of miles to stay in a hotel nearly like the one which is only blocks from your own house. Congratulations.

Americans have destroyed everything, especially the US. That is why we have 58.5 million foreign born people living here. We fooled them. (58.5M according to the UN DESA) https://www.un.org/en/development/de...stimates15.asp
Old 06-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #58
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
Expand your horizons by going thousands of miles to stay in a hotel nearly like the one which is only blocks from your own house. Congratulations.

Not everyone chooses to travel to another country only to stay at a Hilton/Marriott and eat at McDonalds or Starbucks. For that matter, travel within the US can still be interesting and enjoyable if you get off the beaten track.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post

Americans have destroyed everything, especially the US. That is why we have 58.5 million foreign born people living here. We fooled them. (58.5M according to the UN DESA) https://www.un.org/en/development/de...stimates15.asp
Americans have destroyed everything....

Quite a thought on the anniversary of DDay.....no wonder people think that way about the US...because they don't think.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #60
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thirteen countries took part in D-Day.