Administration Has Stopped All Recreational and People to People Travel To Cuba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
Mr. m. You bring up the main point of travel IMO. Cultural experience.

You want a 'cultural' experience, go up into the hills of KY. The depressed employment of 'coal country' is enough to avoid the these places especially if you are driving a big brand new pickup truck.

Seriously.... Even if every ogher country thinks Cuba is a great place....if travel restrictions force US citizens from abstaining awhile longer....well?

What the heck is the big deal?

I have never met anyone who has seen even a fraction of the world.....move along and support the government of the country you live in...right or wrong.

Change policy....but not by flagrantly breaking the law.

What if you leave from Canada or the islands in the St. Lawrence that belong to France?
May lower your chance of getting caught, but it is still completely illegal.

And note that this is NOT any change in the law. The law is exactly the same as it has been for decades. This is just the Trump administration deciding to enforce the law the way it is written, as opposed to the Obama administration, which decided to significantly relax the enforcement.

It isn't a passport stamp that will get you; it is the air surveillance cameras, whether satellite or plane that will tattle your presence. Don't for a second think the U.S. government doesn't have a record of the name & home port of each & every small yacht in Cuban waters. This I know. The photo(s) of your boat will be tacked on a wall someplace. Before you set your anchor, they'll also have the skinny on you & any crew. Our gov't might do stupid things, but our intelligence agencies are are not only smart but vigilant, & they have electronic equipment most of us can't even imagine.

Do you really think that any government agency has the time and resources, which are enormous as you describe the situation, to track a few harmless pleasure boaters who travel to Cuba. Forgive me, but that is preposterous never mind extremely difficult. Think about it, how would "they" get sufficient horizontal surveillance to read the name of a boat, that is, if the name is not obscured as many are. These agencies have far more important tasks. You say you know this. How? Enlighten us please.

As for passports, the Cubans don't stamp them. They want foreign currency and will do nothing to impede getting it. Personally, I have no interest in going to Cuba for many of the reasons stated by others already but worrying about being observed by the US government is certainly not among them.

It isn't a passport stamp that will get you; it is the air surveillance cameras, whether satellite or plane that will tattle your presence. Don't for a second think the U.S. government doesn't have a record of the name & home port of each & every small yacht in Cuban waters. This I know. The photo(s) of your boat will be tacked on a wall someplace. Before you set your anchor, they'll also have the skinny on you & any crew. Our gov't might do stupid things, but our intelligence agencies are are not only smart but vigilant, & they have electronic equipment most of us can't even imagine.

So where ya stowing all the tinfoil on board? Must have quite an array of the hats...

TSA knows a lot of things... but mex-cuba travel without passport stamps hasn't stopped a number of folks from getting world traveler registration, and they have a WIDE range of info.

I have never met anyone who has seen even a fraction of the world.....move along and support the government of the country you live in...right or wrong.

Change policy....but not by flagrantly breaking the law.

I agree that flagrantly violating the law is almost always a very bad thing.

I also feel that the best way to “support” our government is to call out actions it makes that are morally wrong, economically stupid, or simply illegal. I’ve had lots of opportunity to support the government over the past couple of years.

Greetings,
Mr. cj. 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.'

200.webp

Have you suffered going to the Atlantis resort? Ugh, it's as bad as a cruise ship.

I did see it, and it looked ugly! I also saw some beautiful abandoned homes on the Point cut off by the Atlantis resort. The story I was told is once that place was built they cut off any land access to the properties, and some were abandoned.

Not a lot of experience. My take is it can’t possibly totally be our fault.

The one and only cruise ship I’ve ever been on was Royal Caribbean, and it was filled with nearly 50% non-Americans by my estimation. This was just this last February.

I was also a little surprised that RCI (Royal Caribbean) may be based in Miami, but is incorporated in Liberia. Founded in Norway. And a mess of acquisitions since, many not based in the US.

Should we be blaming the Norwegians and Liberians for all this, and also half the ship of not Americans? Yes, I know that’s ridiculous.

I don’t doubt your experience and things you view as negative. I tend to agree with your sentiments, even if I haven’t experienced them directly. Just not the “Totally ruined it” being an American only activity.

The cruise in February was my first ever, part of a 16 person family trip celebrating my in-laws 50th. Would not have been my choice, but was a neat experience. I’d much rather have a small boat and go myself, and I love the idea of leaving only footprints. I can surely see impacts of 5000 people on a ship on a small island.

It’s just not any one nation’s fault.

I guess the bigger question I have is what realistic things can be done?

For example, being only a Great Lakes and river boater my entire life until now, the idea of pumping anything but water overboard is appalling to me. But I’ve also learned a lot (here) that tells me in some cruising cases, this is the best option sometimes.

Is it realistic to have pump out facilities more accessible to all?

First, as to surprise over Royal Caribbean. All you have to do is look at Carnival's Annual Reports and find US taxes paid. Then you realize why they are flagged elsewhere, to avoid taxes and to avoid having to follow US employment laws.

Now, as to someone else's fault, no this is a one sided thing. Cuba welcomes US visitors. The current administration has decided no more direct travel. So people will continue to fly to the Dominican and from there to Cuba or other similar routes as they've done for years. Boaters have done similar but with the patrolling of the seas by the USCG that is more perilous than is flying. We just can't be sure as the administration has escalated this matter.

"it is the air surveillance cameras, whether satellite or plane that will tattle your presence. Don't for a second think the U.S. government doesn't have a record of the name & home port of each & every small yacht in Cuban waters."

Satellites may zip by overhead , but their photo recon works just fine at lower angles.

What was WOW! a few years ago by our 17 gov agency's that keep track of us all,is now common off the shelf commercial product.

Googled your home street lately?

"it is the air surveillance cameras, whether satellite or plane that will tattle your presence. Don't for a second think the U.S. government doesn't have a record of the name & home port of each & every small yacht in Cuban waters."

Satellites may zip by overhead , but their photo recon works just fine at lower angles.

What was WOW! a few years ago by our 17 gov agency's that keep track of us all,is now common off the shelf commercial product.

Googled your home street lately?

Lower angles? You must be kidding. How is a satellite going to get a picture of you stern HORIZONTALLY? Please. And even if it could, the satellite cannot orient itself to the direction a boat is heading. Methinks you ascribe far too much capability. In any case, the satellite folks have better things to do with their eqipment to potentially nab a couple of pleasure boaters going to Cuba.

The US has a very accurate accounting of vessels that visit Cuba. As a friend of mine found out.

Plus we had a decent idea back in the 1980's with low tech....guess what is available today? Satellites included. In the 80's were were tracking prop noises with sub gear and cataloging them...still think the Gov't is clueless?

I also feel that the best way to “support” our government is to call out actions it makes that are morally wrong, economically stupid, or simply illegal. I’ve had lots of opportunity to support the government over the past couple of years.

Bravo, mon ami!

I'm glad someone over there is doing the right thing :thumb:

...Among a plethora of other reasons the Cuban embargo is a left over from the era where "Commies" were the flavor of the day as far as necessary enemies of the US goes.

(Underlined bit mine).

Why does it seem necessary for the US to always have an enemy?

Anybody want to take a stab at it, or provide a link to someone who has?

(Underlined bit mine).

Anybody want to take a stab at it, or provide a link to someone who has?

Same answer as to the question of why we fight so many wars (so badly):
Power/Money.

If it wasn't profitable, we wouldn't keep doing it.

We go with our strengths. :lol:

I don't think the US is all that unusual. Adversaries are handy things. They serve as a foil to a particular party, policy, or political agenda. Those contrasts setup the "us vs them" and since no one wants to be a "them", they tend to fall in line with the rest of the "us".

The US is far from perfect but also far from turning a blind eye to many international wrongs.

I would love to sit back and let other powerful nation's be a world super power and let them call the shots.

Hope you all enjoy that ride.

Greetings,
Mr. MM Re: post #47. Read Orwell's 1984 and take note of the purpose of the daily 2 minutes of hate and of Emmanuel Goldstein's role.

DD Eisenhower was spot on with his warning about the dangers of the military industrial complex. Cuban embargo is a small part of the scenario.

Lower angles? You must be kidding. How is a satellite going to get a picture of you stern HORIZONTALLY? Please. And even if it could, the satellite cannot orient itself to the direction a boat is heading. Methinks you ascribe far too much capability. In any case, the satellite folks have better things to do with their eqipment to potentially nab a couple of pleasure boaters going to Cuba.

There's a lot more going on in that part of the world than "a couple of pleasure boaters going to Cuba." That's why gov't entities keep track, & the innocent intents of pure pleasure & cross-cultural interaction may not be apparent at first glance when a U.S. boat makes for Cuba. In 1994 I was adrift (no engine/no wind) very close to Cuban waters, & for a while didn't know if we were going to end up in Cuba or Florida. If I'd had no choice because of mechanical/weather circumstances, of course I'd have made the most of it. As an anthropologist by trade (long retired), the thought of Cuba was enticing, but I'd never deliberately risk becoming a political pawn/object lesson & the resultant additional consequences just to satisfy my curiosity. As Fate & the Gulf Stream had it, the crew eventually ended up in a motel in Key West, watching TV & eating a pint each of Hagen-Daz. I'll be headed south again, but cautious where the new bow points.

Just got to coal country eastern KY in my new Cad XT5, daughter has been here two years with Americorp, wonderful people, different, but really friendly and polite, complementary on my ride, however have seen quite a few $80K pickups...

"Why does it seem necessary for the US to always have an enemy?"

Our freedom & capitalism create success , dictators and buroRats can only destroy .

We defend our freedoms , which creates multiple enemies.

Expand your horizons by going thousands of miles to stay in a hotel nearly like the one which is only blocks from your own house. Congratulations.

Not everyone chooses to travel to another country only to stay at a Hilton/Marriott and eat at McDonalds or Starbucks. For that matter, travel within the US can still be interesting and enjoyable if you get off the beaten track.

Expand your horizons by going thousands of miles to stay in a hotel nearly like the one which is only blocks from your own house. Congratulations.

Americans have destroyed everything, especially the US. That is why we have 58.5 million foreign born people living here. We fooled them. (58.5M according to the UN DESA) https://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/migration/data/estimates2/estimates15.asp
Americans have destroyed everything....

Quite a thought on the anniversary of DDay.....no wonder people think that way about the US...because they don't think.

Thirteen countries took part in D-Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom