Adding a hardtop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are ever serious Cruiser a large hardtop is a perfect place for solar panels.

My plan is to use 1/2" Nida core with two 10oz and one 10oz glass on each side.
$50 for 4x7 panel

NidaCore-Plain-Panels.jpg
est weight is 55lbs

I'll add 500 watts of solar, another 72lbs

using existing 1 1/4" bows, will add a few additional supports after seeing built

Last edited:
Can you comment about the weight of the Fiberglass over 1/2" Divinylcell foam? And, how rigid is it .... will it hold itself up without supports? Thx.

I'd suggest a conversation with Pipewelders, although reaching them by phone can be hard. They can give you all the pros and cons. Historically, the most popular material for hardtops on boats over 50' has been aluminum. Of course, for those most concerned with weight, there is carbon fiber.

Hard top is 1/2" divinylcell with 4 layers of glass on top, two on bottom. I'd guess it weighs around 300 lbs go 80-sf so a non trivial weight (though removal of the wood mast and ancient/heavy radar and mount offset at least half that.

Hard top is for three reasons. First, headed to the tropics and want sun/rain protection. Second, reconfigured seats into bunks - I used to love sleeping on the deck of a boat. Third, solar. Mounting 4x200w panels which will give 3-4kwh of juice per day (around 400ah). Enough to be net zero for most days.

Forgot to answer the question about rigidity. I can walk (carefully) on top of this hard top, though much of the strength is from the curved shape (8" side to side curve, plus the edge). It's a strong top.

I built one out of 3/4 nidacore. 5'x8' with two layers 1708 both sides if I remember right. Has about 1 1/2" of crown in it. Plenty stiff enough to walk on. Weighs 57 lbs.

I fabricated mine with 8 mm marine ply as a core, with glass and epoxy. I added a 50 mm hardwood around the perimeter to give it some beef, and two hatches to make in/out access easier.
Supported by 1 1/2" stainless tubing and 1" side struts. It holds 250 watt solar panel, antenna, lights and is walkable. Total cost for materials ~ $200.

As you can tell from the pics. Manufactured down under.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 48
I'd suggest a conversation with Pipewelders, although reaching them by phone can be hard. They can give you all the pros and cons. Historically, the most popular material for hardtops on boats over 50' has been aluminum. Of course, for those most concerned with weight, there is carbon fiber.

Thx,

Who is Pipewelders.... contact info?

Pipewelders builds marlin/tuna towers and hardtops and so forth, Big in the SF market, I think. Search engine should find them.

Atlantic Towers could be another useful commercial contact.

-Chris

The big question is always , do you need it strong enough to carry the weight of walking on it.

With a summer breeze on the way to S Florida , weak units with solar goodies might be found floating by.

The only problem w hardtops is weight.
I usta get honeycomb panels at Boeing Surplus but .....
One would be stuck w a flat top hardtop. And that would make a boat into a doghouse (visually). Not very graceful or classy.
Need it on my OB boat though.

The only problem w hardtops is weight.
I usta get honeycomb panels at Boeing Surplus but .....
One would be stuck w a flat top hardtop. And that would make a boat into a doghouse (visually). Not very graceful or classy.
Need it on my OB boat though.
If the shape isn't too bad, like the gentle curve of a hardtop. They can be bent over cheap wood forms and glassed over to hold their shape.

Ben,
“they” being the panels mentioned above or surplus aircraft panels?

Weight is a big issues, and need to research the materials mentioned to see what they weigh, how flexible and how strong they are.

Lots of choices.....

I realize not a trawler but a boat nonetheless. I am installing a top made by Atlantic Towers as we speak. Enclosure goes on next week.

Attachments

• IMG_5146.jpg
    IMG_5146.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 57
I realize not a trawler but a boat nonetheless. I am installing a top made by Atlantic Towers as we speak. Enclosure goes on next week.

Looks good, what material was used? Size and weight?

And did you install it yourself? A one man operation.... or two?

Thanks!

Ben,
“they” being the panels mentioned above or surplus aircraft panels?
The aircraft panels. I think we are thining about the same ones. They're about a half-inch thick and the honey cone structures inside are roughly 3/4 inch across. The flat sides are roughly 1/8th inch thick. These are the ones I have played with before. They are similar to Nida core. They have some flex but not much.

If using nida core going to one inch or more will only add very little in weight and cost. Thicker will make a big difference in stiffness. You can glass one side and it will still bend easily. Glassing the second side locks in the shape.

I think if you look at the cost of Nila 1/2" vs 1" it will be less for the 1/2" glassed correctly with same or better strength as 1".

I spoke to top manufacturer in Ft Pierce, that was his advice

Looks good, what material was used? Size and weight?

And did you install it yourself? A one man operation.... or two?

Thanks!

It takes at least 4 people to manage the top. I ended up having a yard do the install once I realized the difficulty in getting the too all the way to the bridge on my boat (stored on the hard). Total weight is under 350 pounds which is not too bad. Its about 10’x10’ roughly. All aluminum and powder coated.

That is one of the things I like about our hardtotop, mine weighs about 100 pounds and goes up in pieces. Easy 2 man install.

"Total weight is under 350 pounds which is not too bad. Its about 10’x10’ roughly."

It should be walkable at 3lb /sq ft.

Hardtop

I replaced the canvas and poor plastic windows on my Lien Hwa 12 years ago. I used Boat Board Lite and a stainless frame that attached to the radar arch. When you build the framework attach a slotted rail for the side curtains. I used Markalon that tips up, and used snaps to hold them out of the way. Be advised that the Markalon (maybe Maralon) does not like continued UV exposure, meaning constant for three years. I cover the windows when not going anywhere for awhile. All in all, it enhanced the look, the function and enjoyability of the upper helm.

Be advised that the Markalon (maybe Maralon) does not like continued UV exposure, meaning constant for three years. I cover the windows when not going anywhere for awhile. All in all, it enhanced the look, the function and enjoyability of the upper helm.

Might be that depends on which Makrolon you've got.

Our earlier front 3 panels were up 24/7/365 for 10 years... and only in the last year did they start to haze a bit.

Recently replaced those with Makrolon Marine 5, which is said to be more UV resistant. I have no track record with that yet, so can't say from first-hand experience.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom