Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

City: Needham, MA
Vessel Name: Second Act
Vessel Model: Senator 35
Adding Ballast to stiffen Boat

Hi,
I purchased a 1986 Senator 35 Sundeck Trawler and we absolutely love everything about the boat except how lively she feels. When a sportfisherman goes by, the wake will rock the boat 20-30 degrees from side-to-side. Which is not only very uncomfortable, but down right dangerous at times.
I found an entry in the log book that in 2005 the PO had the cement and pig iron ballast removed and replaced with 20 Gallons of Chockfast Gray with Laminating Resin. I am sure the Chockfast and resin are not as heavy as the pig iron. The weight of Chockfast is 56lbs. per 5 gals. which means that 20 gallons only created 225 lbs. of ballast. I think this is why the boat is so lively. The PO is no longer available, so I contacted the company who did the work, but their files are gone and there is no record on exactly what was done and how they did it.
Does anyone have any experience with adding ballast to the keel to stiffen the boat?
My first thoughts, being an old sailor, is to add lead sausages to either side of the keel and then through bolt through the now resin filled keel. Creating a "bulb" keel similar to those on sailboats. If the sausages are tapered at the forward edges they might not create too much cavitation and that would keep the ballast as low as possible.
I am not sure how much weight to add, but I am thinking of about 500-1000 lbs. per side to give a total added ballast of 1000 to 2000 lbs.
I am concerned about if the boat would ride too low in the water and how it might handle.
I probably should consult with a naval architect for expert advice, but I thought I would throw to to the group for your thoughts.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Gardiner
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
That boat is probably a hard chine, semi displacement hull and those react to wakes with a sharper roll than a pure displacement hull that may roll farther but with a slower, easier motion.

Boats like this were built with ballast to trim the boat and not necessarily for stability. So I would consult with a naval architect to determine whether additional ballast will help.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Meanwhile, head into the wake and cut the throttle.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think the best place for damping the rate of roll w ballast is under the deck far out by the cap rail. Or if there’s little flare near the chine.
Ballast in the keel or inside on top of the keel will be too close to CG on most trawlers.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
Hi,

I am not sure how much weight to add, but I am thinking of about 500-1000 lbs. per side to give a total added ballast of 1000 to 2000 lbs.
I am concerned about if the boat would ride too low in the water and how it might handle.
I probably should consult with a naval architect for expert advice, but I thought I would throw to to the group for your thoughts.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Gardiner
Hi Jeff, The following post/threads are available to read and digest. I was not able to find my many post on the subject, however your inquiry mirrors my intitial inquiry to the forum a couple of years back. We are a 28 foot SD hull altho by hull design and formula we can not exceed hull speed of 7 knots so the title of SD is a streach, we are more full in the stern and react more towards FD in practice. Having said this, we had the same rolling effects you discribe, more total rolling than the 'Snap' effect a SD boat reflects. In the end we did the following. We added 1400, now 1500 lbs of 50# ingots along the engine stringers, and under the engine proper. We changed engines during the period adding 600# additional weight with the larger replacement engine. The effect is just totally outstanding!! You would not believe the stability of the boat in all quarters of sea action.
When it comes to finding lead ballast, read the thread below. You should be able to locate a junk metal yard. Junk lead when I was seeking, ran $1.20 (Seattle, WA.} I would suspect an additional charge to melt it down into ingot form. I was fortunate to find ingots already pored here in Ketchikan, which we agreed to add the cost of freight from Seattle to Ketchikan of $.20 cents per pound.
The last 100# ingots I added a barn yard gate handle to the two ingots. I located these in the aft cockpit area. When guest are on board and settled in I am able to adjust the trim by moving these two ingots to compensate.

Read 'Tad's' post within the offerings, he is the forum expert with sound advice.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

PS: We went from a 3 foot draft to 3.4 (sorry my error) draft following this ballast change.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ast-17766.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...bad-24212.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/$2-usd-per-pound-lead-36810.html

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Don’t know how much naval architects charge nowadays, but I’d think it’s less than the cost of a ton of lead for some simple calcs.
I put a ton of lead in my hull, and moved it several times, the results being nil to negligible.
It would have been much less work to hire someone to tell me that!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:16 AM   #7
Guru

Btw, I just stumbled onto your post, you might get much more response by posting under a more appropriate heading...
Old 07-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
Btw, I just stumbled onto your post, you might get much more response by posting under a more appropriate heading...
Why?? The title couldn't be any more clear or direct.

I think the issue was he didn't post it in the "General Discussions" area.

Btw, Jeff I see you're from Needham. Where do you keep your boat? I'm in Marina Bay in Quincy.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
Guru

The title of the forum that the OP posted in is “how to use the forum, site news, and account concerns”
One might note that there are several dozen forum titles, surely one could pick a heading that’s at least a little bit relevant to his query.
Just trying to help, I suppose the moderators will move it eventually.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Thread moved.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #11
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
The boat is hard-chined with a fairly flat bottom, it really wants to follow the face of the wave (snap-roll) . It sounds like the boat has excellent low angle stability, so it will take considerable force to change the motion. Adding 2000 lbs of ballast probably won't do much, but it will do something. By adding the ballast down low you will increase stability, and thus the motion will get faster.

Rolling chocks, bilge keels, bat wings, or stabilizers of some sort will significantly change the motion (damp out rolling), but any of them is a big project.

I would be very reluctant to reduce high-angle stability by adding weight up high, but that would slow the motion. It will take about 1500 lbs to sink your boat 1". I would try putting the lead inside on top of the chockfast, see if it does anything noticeable. The lead needs to be secured so that it will never move, ever!
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I am told, the greatest effect occurs when the ballast is located "high and wide" and secure it. Movable ballast will move at all the wrong times.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #13
Guru

Tad, enlighten my ignorance, please, what is a chockfast?
Google shows it to be a bedding/damping compound, but your usage makes it sound like some part of a boat that I’ve never heard of.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #14
FF
Guru

enlighten my ignorance, please, what is a chockfast?

On larger boats where engine weights are many tons building engine mounts to hold it in alignment would take too long.

Instead the engine , tranny , shaft are jacked into place , a well built under each mount pad and Chockfast simply poured in.

When cured the engine is bolted down hard , done.

I have used the Orange on smaller items and it works Great!

Chockfast Gray | Chockfast

chockfast.com/products/two-component-epoxy-chocking.../chockfast-gray/

CHOCKFAST® Gray is a highly flowable, two-component, thin pour “chock” designed to maintain ... When used as a chocking compound for machinery, the CHOCKFAST® Gray provides ... Two-Componenct Epoxy Chocking Compounds.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:28 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Maybe your expecting too much out of a little boat? Better weather awareness and laydays may be the easiest cure.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: TWILIGHT TIME
Vessel Model: SENATOR SUNDECK
Jeffg DALLIANCE I have the same boat 86 SENATOR SUNDECK i agree with the former head into the wake and reduce spead.
Twilight time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #17

City: Centreville, VA
Vessel Name: Monticello
Vessel Model: 1989 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Jeff,

I couldn't tell you about the lead sausages, I'm the wrong kind of engineer.

But I do see a cheap way to test whether the added weight will make your boat sit too low in the water. Put 5 gal buckets of water on your decks to see. A gallon of water weighs 8.34 lb, so you would need 47 buckets to get about 2000 lb. Be sure to spread them out, and put them over hard points wherever possible so you don't overload any point on your deck. I wonder how many buckets you could scrounge, borrow from neighbors, rent, etc?

Worst case is buying 4 boxes of 12 buckets each from some place. Uline sells buckets for $4.60 or less apiece. That's about $225 if you have to every one of them.
dacap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
probably cheaper to offer free beer to 10, 200 pound guys for an hour to come aboard.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #19

City: Needham, MA
Vessel Name: Second Act
Vessel Model: Senator 35
Hi,
I am at the Metropolitan Yacht Club in Braitree on the Fore River just beyond the old shipyard.
Jeff
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Interestingly I had chockfast put in certain places by my new stern tube 13 years ago. A feature of chalkfast that led to it’s use on Willy was the fact that it dosn’t shrink as it cures. So it didn’t break it’s bond to the hull, a box like shelf right under the starn tube and the tube. The “no shrink” feature is a wonderful feature of some structural applications. We’ve had no related problems.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote