Adding an air horn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish I had the internal capacity for a compressor and storage cylinder to power and really good set of horns. As an experiment to get around the stupidly wimpy electric horn that came with this Pilot and at the same time avoid unsightly topside surgery, I elected to put a horn and tiny compressor right where the original horn was. Here is a photo which shows the wooden box covering the compressor behind the horn. Not tubing to snake through impossible places. Cost 17 dollars. It's quite loud. First horn got corroded in a hurry, despite the clear coat I sprayed on it. For another 17 bucks and a spare compressor, I got another horn and sprayed it with multiple coats of Plasticoat hoping for more longevity.

Attachments

• DSC02727.jpg
    DSC02727.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 31
Here are my notes from when i installed one two years ago.

Pair of used truck air horns on Kijiji - $60

MAKITA Quiet Series portable Air Compressor, Electric, 1 Gal. $250.

Air reservoir tank, 11-Gallon $100

Two air push buttons (one for each helm) and 50 feet air plastic air tubing plus hardware- $300

Easy to install. inflate kids rafts a bonus.

Turns your little boat into a REALLY BIG BOAT ! :)

Barry are those numbers right? You spent $700 on your horn and nearly half of that was for just two push buttons?

I have air shifting and throttle, so have 125psi air all the time. I bought an air horn off a scrapped ship. When I toot, everyone listens.

New question.....
I see a few air horns that have a small compressor, but no holding tank. Do they work well?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2TIHK...colid=Q7C8W8K6651O&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That looks exactly what I have. It works well, but isn't really loud. When I bought my first motorhome, I upgraded the horns from what had come with it, to a pair from the Western Star Truck store. With air brakes, lots of air pressure available. Then I took the original MH horns to the boat. The little compressor that ran the original pair could only run one of the real MH horns, so I went looking for an improvement. Harbor Freight had both a small pair on a small compressor and a small trio on a small compressor, each for $25 to $30. I tried various combinations, but none would drive both of the Real MH horns. At the present moment I am still not satisfied. I don't feel I need the Much louder MH horns enough to spend nearly $1 boat buck, so I will probably just re-install the original horns. It will definitely be better than a single big horn or a pair or trio of high pitched small horns that sound like there is a Fiat parked on deck.
I do like the Fiat sound in my dinghy though. I can definitely get your attention whenever I blast those, as coming from a 12' dinghy they sound pretty good.

I think the possible requirement for a tank comes from repeated use of the horn. You need to be sure the compressor+tank can keep up. A fog signal is probably the most demanding, but I'm not certain.

My 2008 AT34 came with one trumpet and a small 12vt compressor, no tank. Harbor Freight to the rescue. 12vt with a tank, 2 more trumpets. The Hatteras horns have nothing on me. Cant avoid or ignore my horns any more. Coming out of a side canal or a blind corner... that 'one long blast' has a new definition :lol: Added the fog horn control. Com'on fog.
I have have exceeded the CG regs for a 34ft boat. :D

New question.....
I see a few air horns that have a small compressor, but no holding tank. Do they work well?
Ours, OEM to IG and Integrity,single horn, seems to work well. Compressor gets an occasional drop of oil.

My 2008 AT34 came with a single trumpets, a small 12 vt compressor, no tank. Works well. Now, the AT36 come with 2 trumpets, not sure about the compressor.

Back
Top Bottom