Active fin stabilizer retrofit - I have pushed the 'button'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrisHamish

Vessel Name
Beluga
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi everybody,

After reading many helpful threads here about active fin stabilizers, and following one trip to Sydney and two trips to the Whitsundays (all from home port in Brisbane), I have succumbed and ordered a set of active fin stabilizers.

I got quotes from Trac and Naiad. The Trac quote was about AUD45k higher, so I opted for Naiad (Model 252, 7.5sq foot fins and the new Datum controller). Cost estimate is around AUD75k installed, including the 'pads' which the stabilizers attach to. All work done by the Naiad Australian rep and a shipwright in Brisbane.

I will update this thread with progress/tips/suggestions on the way through, in case others are considering a similar project at some stage.

H.

Dear H.
I think you've made a great choice. I too retrofitted my 46 EU with Naiad 252 system. S3 Maritime in Seattle did the work. Has worked very well for approx. 200 hours of service.

H
You won't regret it or begrudge even $1 of the cost. My Naiad's were installed in the US in mid 2013 and have been flawless. Over 700 hours now. Mine are the same model as yours, but I have the MultiseaII controller. Not sure how much improvement the Datum will bring - my unit is very good. Once I get back to Brisbane from the Reef I'll be hauling out and Naiad seals (3 yearly service) will be done.

Your prices seem in broadly line with what I obtained prior committing to a US install before importing my boat, after allowing for exchange rate variations over the period.

I have the same model Naiads with the datum controller. The datum features an adaptive setting that automatically adjusts to the sea state so there is no further input needed. There is also a setting that allows manual adjustment, but I never use that.

Here is a pic of my Datum controller. IMG_1476461815.881645.jpg

Thanks for the great replies guys, I will post updates as the work progresses.

Twistedtree, I read the blog on your 47 some time ago with keen interest thanks.

Brian, I passed Insequent in Mackay marina on the way up to Hammo this year, and again at Nara Inlet one day in late Sept. You have done a great job bringing Insequent up to spec - she looks like new.

Hamish.

Thanks Hamish
Glad the $$$ spent hasn't been wasted, and that folks do notice!

And so the work at last begins...

Attachments

• Stabs 1.jpg
    Stabs 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Stabs 2.jpg
    Stabs 2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Stabs 3.jpg
    Stabs 3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 172
W O W. Major surgery. :popcorn:

The ABT Tracs are tge best thing about our boat. Worth every penny the PO paid.

Hope it all goes smoothly.

What have you chosen as the pump for the cooling water for the hydraulic oil tank?

I ask as I am running an Oberdorfer electric unit. The motor is fine but I had to replace a pump seal. At the time of instal the guys said an hydraulic pump would be the best option as they basically never need maintenance.

Curious if you considered the Seakeeper Gyro. There are pros and cons, one of which is a less invasive retro.

I'd like to hear Hamish comments on that.

In my case I did. There was one available in Seattle when I was there, cost was about the same as Naiad's. But the only place to put it was where the Onan genny sat. Nowhere else to move that big lump, and if you have a Seakeeper you need a genny to get the most out of it. ie at anchor.

Subsequently I ditched the Onan and completely re-fitted the ER. During that process the Seakeeper and a genny could have been well positioned, but by then the Naiad's were already installed.

Curious if you considered the Seakeeper Gyro. There are pros and cons, one of which is a less invasive retro.

It is less invasive. Just dop in in for the most part.

The only problem is finding room for the unit. It's about the size of a generator.

So look around your bosat and think serously about where you'd fit another generator. Not an easy thing for allot of boats including mine.

I'd probably have one if I could figure out where to put the blasted thing!

Hi Guys,

Re the gyro option, I did consider it (I liked the Seakeeper brand) and have nothing at all against them, its just that we could not easily/conveniently fit it anywhere. If we left the engines and gen where they are, the only location would be to put it right in the middle of the walkway between (and hard up against on either side of) the engines. Thereafter any kind of access to the forward part of the engines would be a contortionist nightmare.

And as my boat is a late 2006 model, the engines and gen are all still fairly 'new', so I didnt want to go moving any of that.

Hence we came back to fins.

I suspect both gyros and fins would be less work to install as part of a new build, but on a retro the gyro is a much easier solution (if you can find somewhere clear to fit it).

Brian, I will find out about the pump for the cooling water for the hydraulic tank. Thanks for the tip.

H.

On my 7ft Wesmars there is no separate cooling water pump. Cooling water is supplied as part of the RW loop. Never had a heating issue, knock on wood.

On my OA456, the cooling pump is installed in the most remote corner of the ER and is a real pita to get to. As you look at installs, consider how you will get to it to change the impeller. Also, the hydraulic fluid reservoir wad placed about 3-4 inches below the ER ceiling. Topping-off hydraulic fluid, should you ever need to, requires a funnel and hose. Another pita.

Even with the couple of pitas, the best feature in the boat.

Gordon

Me likee

On my 7ft Wesmars there is no separate cooling water pump. Cooling water is supplied as part of the RW loop. Never had a heating issue, knock on wood.

I wish the PO on my boat would have thought of this one. Would have simplified the whole mechanism.

Gordon

No turning back now...

Attachments

• Hull 1.jpg
    Hull 1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 121
  • Hull 2.jpg
    Hull 2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Hull 3.jpg
    Hull 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Hull 4.jpg
    Hull 4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Hull 5.jpg
    Hull 5.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 145
Almost finished. Launch tomorrow, trials later this week or early next I expect. Inside of the boat very clean now, huge amount of work from the dust!
Will update on the sea trial shortly.
H.

Attachments

• Final5.jpg
    Final5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Final6.jpg
    Final6.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Final1.jpg
    Final1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Final2.jpg
    Final2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Final3.jpg
    Final3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Final4.jpg
    Final4.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 170
'Beluga' was back in the water last week, first test run yesterday afternoon on a pretty flat Moreton Bay afternoon. Took her half way between RQYS at Manly and Sandhills at the southern end of Moreton Island, exposed to any swell running through Rous channel, and turned her beam on to the swell (such as it was).

I had a 1 litre bottle of water with me, the kind you buy at any service station. Tall and thin, with a narrow circular base. Without the stabilisers on, and as expected, when I placed the bottle next to the flybridge helm within a few moments it toppled over due to the gentle roll. An app I had running measured the roll at about 6 degrees each way. Turn the stabilisers on, and the bottle didn't move and instead stayed upright. The app showed the roll now at just under 1. I admit this isn't the best test, because it was pretty calm, but it bodes well...

As for the job, others like TwistedTree did the retrofit themselves and hats off to those guys, what a massive effort! As it was, even with others doing the actual work for me, there was still a lot to do as an owner with regular visits to the site and the inevitable variations and so forth. It was actually a very big project, but 'Beluga' is now spotlessly clean and you would never guess at the amount of mess created at the time.

Special thanks to those TF members who offered suggestions along the way. They were all good ones and actually helped me to suggest some mods before the oil cooler and so forth was finally positioned. TF really is such a good place to share ideas and knowledge.

Works were done by David Glenn boatbuilders and Clayton from Seairland Brisbane (the local Naiad dealer). Totally recommend both.

H.

Yes, Clayton is on the ball. Glad to hear you have it finished and are back in the water. You will soon get accustomed to zero roll !

If all stabelizers were strong enough to use as bilge keels (to allow taking the ground as desired ) , it would be far easier to justify the initial cost and installation cost.

If all stabelizers were strong enough to use as bilge keels (to allow taking the ground as desired ) , it would be far easier to justify the initial cost and installation cost.

Balancing cost, comfort, safety and just plain fun is what the boating business is all about.

I think that's the least of people's concerns when the consider adding stabilizers.

It's really all about comfort and safety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom