Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #41
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Full Disclosure: I have never used AC because I rarely get time on pleasure (unfortunately) boats these days. The forums and boating mags keep me up to date on many of the goings on in the yachting industry.
Maybe I'm missing something, but Jeff and his wife are putting HUGE amounts of effort into this business and it is based in integrity. For him to try to mislead a group of cruisers by changing a "Rating" would be suicidal in the long run. His public face , from my perspective is everything in this endeavor. He seems like a straight shooter to me. Doesn't mean something won't fall through the cracks, but he knows his reputation and street cred are on the line.
I applaud his efforts and wish him good fortune for taking the entrepreneurial risk! Hopefully it will pay off in spades, then he can laugh years from now when people call him an overnight sensation.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #42
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Hard to believe the negative comments here directed at AC and Jeffrey. AC is one of the cleverest and most useful cruising assets, period. I think the principal critic above just doesn't get the AC concept at all. I don't blame Jeff for checking out...he's got better things to do
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
I don't blame Jeff for checking out...he's got better things to do
I just hope he's still monitoring this thread so he knows there are many if not almost all that support AC.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #44
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
The joy of this site is that the opinions, contributions, knowledge, personal experiences that we post are entirely gratuitous. You can like, reject, ignore, enjoy, "aha" any comment or post you read. You don't even have to read them if you are pre-prejudiced against the writer. It's entirely a co-op community.
I think if you replace the words "this site" in the first sentence with "Active Captain" you will have made my point very succinctly. Thank you!

As for the contention that legions of drones are writing AC reviews, I see absolutely no evidence of that. Every review I've read, whether I agree or disagree, seems sincere.

My only complaint about the quality of reviewers is directed at those who write just a few words, or don't update the details section, or don't update the price for the slip or mooring they just stayed at. To me that's almost worse than writing nothing at all. Although even in that case, at least I know the place still exists.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

My only complaint about the quality of reviewers is directed at those who write just a few words, or don't update the details section, or don't update the price for the slip or mooring they just stayed at. To me that's almost worse than writing nothing at all. Although even in that case, at least I know the place still exists.
I think many reviewers don't realize they can change and update the other areas, see that information as something the site does. They just think of writing their review.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #46
Guru

City: LI or Fla
I never knew you can update your original review until I was going to review a marina we were at and it prompted me to update existing one, which I did and it was a better more comprehensive review. Great resource, only wish it would work on the iPhone.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #47
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think many reviewers don't realize they can change and update the other areas, see that information as something the site does. They just think of writing their review.
How do you update a review that you posted on AC? I posted one last week and got my easts and wests reversed -. How do I fix that?

I see how you can edit the details by scrolling over and the Edit button pops up. Presumably Jeff or Karen has to authorize the edit once it is made. But I don't see how to edit my review. This is an anchorage BTW.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #48
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I'm touched by all of the wonderful things written in this thread - thank you.

No one in the boating world deserves a critical review about their product or service more than me. I certainly have it coming. Please know that suggestions and negative comments are heard and even desired.

We're far from wiping our hands from the development of new capabilities and ActiveCaptain is far from perfect. This is a journey for all of us. Our job is to try and do the best job possible and I strive to do that every day.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #49
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
By way of full disclosure before I comment--I have ZERO connection to AC other than being a very satisfied user.

I just checked and I have 836 posts on AC. I've used it and relied on it and loved it for several years. I enjoy reading the reviews and as I do with Trip Advisor and other review sites, I tend to disregard the reviews that are very far out from the majority of them. Some times people have a bone to pick with a resort or marina and they post negative comments about it. I understand that and can make my own decisions about how much weight to give to someone's comments.

For the record, I enjoy reading AC and use it extensively when planning future trips. Thanks a bunch to the owners of the site for putting together a great site that has become one of my favorite tools to use.

GFC
Ok I got tired after 3 pages. GFC's comments are spot on as are B&Bs.

Being new to boating, not understanding all the cruising guides out there, I came upon Active Captain and found it useful.

Bit that was before I got the gps puck to work on the laptop. once that happened, my world was transformed. No longer did I have to know the names of each bend in the icw.

I could make tomorrow s cruise plan and instantly see what was accessible and/or adjust the trip accordingly.

Now that I am in Europe, I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss AC.

Just as b&b mentioned, buying products on Amazon, many times you need the reviews to figure out how to install it or get it to work.

AC is the same way, there is always a range of opinion to guide your own decision.

Coming into strange marinas, even with the Google sat picture, is still so much MORE stressful not having the experience of others to learn from and plan for.

So far in these first weeks, that has been the most stressful part of th is cruise, far worse than the crappy wx or being on a relatively tight time schedule.

Finland, Sweden and Norway will be some of the best cruising grounds I may ever see, yet not having anchorage information really will take some of the fun out it for me.
In the US, someone will have mentioned: "watch out for that big assed rock just past the entrance" or "it gets shallow on the NE corner."

And the the guides trying to be a European AC are only electronic versions of the printed guides.

And if you don't like ac, then don't use it.

Lastly, for the negativos, you bring up an example of companies using boiler plate reviews.

Yes, that is actually cost effective if:

you are selling millions, and
your customer base is to lazy to actually read even a few reviews, but instead just look at the number for the avg review. "Look honey, it got a 5, it must be good"

And they don't notice that 90% of the reviews are ONE line.

Ok. I have guilted myself into writing reviews for AC during my summer travels.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #50
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Now that I am in Europe, I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss AC.

Ok. I have guilted myself into writing reviews for AC during my summer travels.
Good, gotta start getting more European info somehow, you're in a good position to lead by example.

Glad Jeff has been seeing this. I too like AC very much, especially the marina info. And I've tried to do my part, as well.

-Chris
Old 06-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #51
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I am sitting here wearing my AC hat too. I have done several bad reviews of marinas over the years. I am especially hard on marinas that share the heads/showers with the Tiki Bar...or any bar for that matter. Usually the problem is that those who build marinas and resorts and bars are not used to spending the night there. None of my reviews have been edited out and I have jumped on some of the best ones.

I think that AC has done a terrific job and criticizing Jeff is akin to criticizing Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi or Harry Chapin or my next door neighbor, Ed.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post

I think that AC has done a terrific job and criticizing Jeff is akin to criticizing Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi or Harry Chapin or my next door neighbor, Ed.
Wifey B: Omg, you didn't really type that....it was dictated and that was spell correct? Now your next door neighbor Ed...that dude I don't know about. You have just written a classic humor line.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #53
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What do you figure, that if they see that they'll give you good service thinking you'll review them? lol

That's sort of the rub... We have a great old time Hardware store near the boat- unique in many ways and close to the marina. A couple of times now I have mentioned the AC site and possible benefit of that kind exposure to the owner. HoHum.. No interest at all.
So far as my hat- it now has character with a few drips of 5200 on top- I just wear it to hopefully perceived as a gnarly old Salt. You can't just purchase an AC cap. U gotta earn it too!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 06-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #54
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Active Captain and Cruisersnet are two of the best tools everybody should study and use before making any trip!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Active Captain and Cruisersnet are two of the best tools everybody should study and use before making any trip!
We use both and also Waterway Guide.