Old 10-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Active Captain Interface

It looks like Active Captain has "updated" its user interface. I've only played with it for a few minutes but so far I don't like it. Comments?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: NC
People on CF are commenting that they do not like the changes. The New ActiveCaptain - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The tab that lists your own routes is gone. I hope my routes are still somewhere in the cloud but I don't know how to access them with the new Live Map interface.

It also says Test Live Map, so maybe it is just a Beta version for all to use ;-).

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Stooooooooooooooooopid. Want my opinion? Told him we'd never do the ecard thing long ago and it stands, but easy enough to enter garbage and get in. Find marina? I don't want to find a marina. I want to find a city. I don't know the marinas there yet, until I find it. It's like trying to find "pneumonia" in the dictionary when you don't know how to spell it. Guess I can use google maps and find marinas in an area, then go to AC.

Ok, I'm calmer now. Found the way to the old stuff. Click on "More" and then "Live Map (Flash)". That gets you back where you were and all your routes and everything. Now, as long as they don't eliminate that and force you to the new trash.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The tab that lists your own routes is gone. I hope my routes are still somewhere in the cloud but I don't know how to access them with the new Live Map interface.

It also says Test Live Map, so maybe it is just a Beta version for all to use ;-).

David
Wifey B: Go to "More" and "Live Map (Flash Version).
Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Guru

Wifey B: I hadn't looked till you guys mentioned it. Don't mess with things I like. I don't like restaurants that I go to for one thing taking it off the menu or screwing around with it. Like it always came with normal mayonnaise and then one day you order it (menu hasn't changed) and it's got some freaky mayo that tastes like

You can still get to the old though, once you wade through it.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #7

Just tried it again and got a "can't connect to database error" and it won't let me log in. It really is a Beta test system -.

But if it really is a non Flash interface, that is a good thing as maybe it will run on tablets.

Davd
Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Login does nothing and I don't do Facebook. Now what?
I sent an email via the Contact Us link.

Hmm. Automated response...

Message body

{phrase var='contact.auto_responder_message'}

Regards,

The ActiveCaptain Admin Team
activecaptain.com
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Guru

We're still logged into it and on the flash site. Working like always there. Haven't tried the beta again.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
BandB: you obviously didn't get the msg ( I think there were actually 2) from AC asking that we be patient during the server/new GUI changeover. Its not like you are at a restaurant paying for a restaurant meal...its a free service!! and a pretty complicated one too I'd say.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
BandB: you obviously didn't get the msg ( I think there were actually 2) from AC asking that we be patient during the server/new GUI changeover. Its not like you are at a restaurant paying for a restaurant meal...its a free service!! and a pretty complicated one too I'd say.
Wifey B: I got the message and we also made it clear in the past we didn't like eboatcards and never would participate in them and now you're channeled through eboatcards. All this for them to gather more info on you and be able to market to you. Then trying to push you to their facebook group as well. I also know you don't do your testing on your customers. You do it in some sort of controlled test environment. Free service? Yes, sort of. But my participation does bring the service money and I've probably stayed at as many marinas advertising there as anyone. Also, note, that we've paid and continue to pay plenty to Garmin. I don't like that my normal access without eboatcards was no longer possible.

And that's simply my opinion which I do have a right to express whether you like it or not.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
Guru

Wifey B: I left this out. I also do not like that he tells you not to send individual complaints or problems, to post them on face book. Well, some of us choose not to be on facebook or not to be in his facebook group.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I left this out. I also do not like that he tells you not to send individual complaints or problems, to post them on face book. Well, some of us choose not to be on facebook or not to be in his facebook group.
If you're talking about "you know who", he threw me off his Facebook group for disagreeing with him.

That's fine for a personal page but "customers" shouldn't have to kiss his backside to not be locked out of customer support.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #14
Guru

Hubby B: The one thing I don't understand is bringing live a new interface but without the functionality of the old, so driving people to still use the old. I understand the move away from flash. We have no flash on any of our websites. However, on the new interface you don't have your routes, you can't search except to search for a marina. You go to a new interface lacking the functionality of the old and you will receive complaints and people will continue to use the old as long as they can. That isn't a matter of new bugs, it's a basic design feature. It's their product, they can do with it as they want, but I don't understand bringing it live in it's current state.

I feel like they will work it out, but perhaps they should have done so before bringing it live. I've also heard issues from those using other chart software and hope that doesn't mean less support for them. We use it independent of any chart software so not impacted.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
If you're talking about "you know who", he threw me off his Facebook group for disagreeing with him.

That's fine for a personal page but "customers" shouldn't have to kiss his backside to not be locked out of customer support.
Well, he's thrown some off AC for comments they made here, not about the product, but toward him. When it was under his ownership, that was his right. Not sure how Garmin would feel if he did so today.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Seems to be working now.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Seems to be working now.
Was always working for us. Just the new landing page and the new map were issues for us. But we've had no issue getting in and once we found the old flash, it works like it always did. We couldn't get the functionality we're use to out of the new non-flash map. If anyone has figured out how to get routes up on it or to search by city on it, please let us know, then we'll try it again.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #18

More bug reports as sooner or later AC will see this thread:

The new test Live Map only starts up in full world view and strangely for a marine program, it starts up in Map format, not NOAA chart format. The old one retained your mode preference and zoomed to your last location.

Also the Flash version pans, but sometimes does not zoom. It also opens in a full world, map mode.

David
Old 10-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Active Captain Interface

Quote:
Well, he's thrown some off AC for comments they made here, not about the product, but toward him. When it was under his ownership, that was his right. Not sure how Garmin would feel if he did so today.

He kicked people of for either.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #20
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:

As we know from AC's esteemed creator, that makes you an ignorant Luddite. Welcome to the club.....