Active Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are sure it is updating? My Blue Chat app works but you can't update charts or download AC data. They killed it over a year ago.

This is my experience, no reviews newer than early 2017. I understand Garmin bought navonics and I do not want to spend money on something else that Garmin will stop supporting.

Mine updates

Are sure it is updating? My Blue Chat app works but you can't update charts or download AC data. They killed it over a year ago.

With no issue. I could not update on the old IOS running on the iPad 1. If you can update the IOS you can updste AC.

Gordon

Yes. There has been a shortage of reviews lately but I found one nearby dated 12-3-2018.

I do not have any compatible displays but previously used the AC website and android app on phones & tablets. I have submitted and read many reviews & entries but suspended all activity / use the last couple yrs.
When I saw recent Garmin announcements I went looking for the app and downloaded the Garmin AC app - Ver 14.0.232 - to see what was available.
While the chart function is crude at best w/o any connected / comparable unit one can search / scan to find facilities - marinas & anchorages in the area you are interested in.
You can open any of the facilities more more info, reviews etc
I have entered updated reviews for previously reviewed facilities from the app and you can edit existing info and reviews.

I updated Navionics on an Ipad and Iphone and have access to current AC updates. Just seems to be a transition issue with Garmin and others. Keep updating on AC, great for everyone. Just my simple opinion.

Just updated Navionics app on the iPad. It downloaded all the Active Captain inormation. This is far better than Blue Charts. Now you have the best charts made with Sonar Charts and the AC info is overlayed.
Looks like today things are much different than when all the Garmin and Siegel bashing took place a while back.

Reads like an infomercial. Jeff took a lot of bashing because he chose to defend dumb things done by Garmin in monetizing their purchase. Whether Jeff was a paid spokesman or defending his highly regarded AC out of pride I do not know. At any rate it is not the same animal. What peeves me most is the loss of the blog "Taking Paws".

Darn hope I didn’t step into something here. I really like the Navionics and AC integration. Meets my current needs.

IMO, the expectation that Garmin would keep AC in the form that existed at the time they bought it just did not make any sense, despite what they may have said at the time. Why buy something that someone thinks has value (why else buy it) if you are not going to turn it into something that gives you a return on your investment? Corporations rarely give stuff away for free. It kind of goes against their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

AFIAK, Garmin is not a charity. They see AC as an asset that they are going to exploit. If Jeff merely wanted to provide a service to the boating community for the greater good and wasn't looking for a return on his investment, he never would have sold AC to Garmin. I don't know what he sold AC for, but at the very least he seems to have gotten a new boat out of the deal.

Not that I'm knocking what he did. He came up with an idea and made it work (and probably spent a whole lot of time getting it there). A lot of people bought into that idea and made it something of value. When the time was right Jeff took the money and ran. It's the American way.

If all those people didn't put their whole life on Facebook for free, Facebook wouldn't be worth squat. Same thing happened with AC. Jeff got a lot of people to supply information for basically nothing, and then sold their contributions to someone else. Good for him.

Last edited:
IMO, the expectation that Garmin would keep AC in the form that existed at the time they bought it just did not make any sense, despite what they may have said at the time. Why buy something that someone thinks has value (why else buy it) if you are not going to turn it into something that gives you a return on your investment? Corporations rarely give stuff away for free. It kind of goes against their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

AFIAK, Garmin is not a charity. They see AC as an asset that they are going to exploit. If Jeff merely wanted to provide a service to the boating community for the greater good and wasn't looking for a return on his investment, he never would have sold AC to Garmin. I don't know what he sold AC for, but at the very least he seems to have gotten a new boat out of the deal.

Not that I'm knocking what he did. He came up with an idea and made it work (and probably spent a whole lot of time getting it there). A lot of people bought into that idea and made it something of value. When the time was right Jeff took the money and ran. It's the American way.

If all those people didn't put their whole life on Facebook for free, Facebook wouldn't be worth squat. Same thing happened with AC. Jeff got a lot of people to supply information for basically nothing, and then sold their contributions to someone else. Good for him.

Agreed. I just wish it still worked.

Bravo Zulu! Well put. God bless capitalism and Jeff. He did an outstanding service for us and now has one beautiful boat he deserves. A couple of things I am unhappy about though, roasted brussel sprouts and the demise of Taking Paws.

Bravo Zulu! Well put. God bless capitalism and Jeff. He did an outstanding service for us and now has one beautiful boat he deserves. A couple of things I am unhappy about though, roasted brussel sprouts and the demise of Taking Paws.

TakingPaws

Reports of a demise may be premature?

Working in IT with over 100k employees and millions of customers using technology and software we engineer and support every hour of every day, has taught me 1 very important lesson.

Contrary to most peoples belief, IT people(developers, engineers, product managers) cannot read the minds of our users.

If you arent happy with a product, we would love to hear the feedback so we can make it better. We only get a pulse on calls to the helpdesk. Watercooler chat is often unreported.

That said, If we aren't happy with an Active Captain feature, or bug. Let Garmin know!

Screenshot below with the Feedback outlined in Red.

1. Open the Active Captain App
2. Click "Settings" in the bottom left
3. Click the "Send Feedback" button

Type up what you like or don't, or provide a feature request for something you like. I think you will be surprised to see how quickly you get a response or see the feature!

Active-Captain-Feedback.jpg

Last edited:
Type up what you like or don't, or provide a feature request for something you like. I think you will be surprised to see how quickly you get a response or see the feature!

I wish I shared your faith in Garmin's ability to give a s**t about their customers.

I also worked in IT, and my group also cared about our customers. Our company leadership, however, had other priorities. We did what we could, but sometimes it takes more than good intentions to get something done.

My own experience with Garmin is that they want to focus on producing new stuff they can sell, not supporting the customers who bought last week's stuff. I have no doubt there are staff there who WANT to help, but when everyone is pulled off support to work on development, what can they do?

My own experience with Garmin is that they want to focus on producing new stuff they can sell, not supporting the customers who bought last week's stuff. I have no doubt there are staff there who WANT to help, but when everyone is pulled off support to work on development, what can they do?

I have zero direct experience with Garmin, but just looking at their product lineup would support this. Why are there so many models of MFDs? I found the same thing years ago looking at car nav systems, and I just threw up my hands and walked away. I couldn't tell the difference between most of them. It's the hallmark of a company that wants to always have something new to sell, and something that fits every need or desire. That's not bad in and of itself, but it has the consequence of creating a huge product line with exponentially more complex and costly support, especially long term for parts and repairs. You end up wanting to make older products go away just as fast as you make new products appear.

In contrast, look at Furuno who's MFD lineup includes a total of 5 full function models. TZ or TZ2. 2 screen sizes. And one black box model. And if you want to also count the legacy NN3D, there is another black box. And that NN3D black box has been available for about 10 years now, so gives a sense of product sales lifetime. Then they have 3 low end chart plotters with limited function. So worst case it totals up to 9 products.

Now compare to Garmin. They offer a total of 49 different chart plotters, ranging from high end full function, to lower end, limited function. That's 5x the number of models. It explains a lot of the behavior I hear about.

...Now compare to Garmin. They offer a total of 49 different chart plotters, ranging from high end full function, to lower end, limited function. That's 5x the number of models. It explains a lot of the behavior I hear about.

I think you might be on to something there.

They want to be the Apple of marine MFD's. They expect us to line up like lemmings every 12-18 months to shell out big bucks for "the latest thing."

That "legacy" device you bought last year? Get rid of that! It's ruining your image! The styling is so... last year!

That said, apparently there are a lot of lemmings out there, so Garmin can be successful with that business model. Hard to blame them for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom