An Accident Waiting to happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
Yesterday I was on the boat checking lines etc for some predicted heavy weather when a large sports style boat backed up past me to their pen.

There was this old guy driving from the flybridge, and his wife at the stern out on the Marlin board with boat hook in hand.She was holding on to the transom with one hand and reaching out with the boat hook in the other.

About three feet beneath her were two presumably large props churning away. If she slipped or over balanced I think an extra from 'Jaws' would have had more chance than she would.

I guess it begs the question, should I have wandered up to the skipper and his partner and given them the benefit of my observation, only to receive the succinct Aussie two word reply concerning sex and travel? :ermm:

Yep. How would you feel if nest time your watching, the accident happens?

Esh that's a tough one. Might make you feel better to say something, but doubtful it will change their behavior. Maybe it never occurred to them how dangerous it is though and they just might listen? I guess all in worth saying something...

What, me fall in?...never......
Hey, talking checking your lines...you might want to fold and secure your bimini as well Andy. Check what we had pass through on my Deja Vu post, and it's heading your way, with predicitons wind strength might go up again. It is now accepted it was a cat 1 cyclone as it went over us - not just a tropical low...

I might have said something to him in private. He may not have realized what she was up to?

My europa has me blind to the finger pier unless I leave the helm, and when I first got the boat I was trying to get alongside the dock with a stiff breeze holding me off. I was just getting ready to tell the wife I was going to abort when I look over and she was ON THE DOCK. It sent a chill up my spine just thinking of it.

We sat down later and I told her she was NEVER to leave the safety of the passageways while the motors were running, unless I cleared her to. The scarey part is she realized the danger, but thought it was my expectation that she do that because some of my male friends have done the same thing.

I realized that responsibility (control & coordination of my crew) had gotten away from me. I think your dock neighbor could use that reminder. It sure outweighs the thought of someone getting hurt.

I watched a event unfold just like yours in Florida. A storm with 50 knt winds was passing Charlotte Harbor. A 50 footer came flying into the marina and was attempting to moor on the wall. A young lady jumped down to the swim platform to help secure lines. The captain was backing too fast so he goosed it and off the platform went the young lady between the concrete wall and the back of the boat. My heart went to my throat until she popped up behind him. Worst part of the story is the captain wasn't fit to drive the boat, nor was anyone else on the boat.

I had to read the thread first, then come back after I chewed on it for a while. In past situations where I've reacted out of genuine concern, I have found many people giving no-contest to what I say. Maybe it's something in the sound of ones voice, but regardless, I would have said something even knowing that the sex and travel comment was coming.

If you can say it in a way that doesn't challenge or belittle them. "Hey, I was just noticing... You might want to just consider that if..."

You know, just be friendly about it.

Tom-

Andy,
Seems to me there are 2 reasons to say something, in the nicest possible way.
1. There is a fair chance they will listen and learn. That in my view overcomes the risk of the silent upward pointed middle finger, or being told to.....
2. If they keep doing it, and it eventually ends badly, and you stayed silent, you will feel bad not having done what you could to save them from themselves.

You were right to be concerned. Sportfishers have low freeboards by design in the cockpit. We were fishing a tournament. While following a large sprortfisher through some rough seas I saw a crewman sitting on the back corner covering boards. He lost his balance, and fell over unnoticed by anyone on the boat. We didn't have a transom door, so two of my anglers pulled him into our boat. I called the boat that lost him. They met us, and the crew member swam back over to them. It made me extremely cautious about that sort of thing.

I wouldn't be too worried about what they think of your mentioning it. You are just doing what you can. There are plenty of ways to couch the words. Even if they seam offended, you will make them think. They don't call them accidents for nothing.

Andy, maybe just write it in a note, under heading concerned marina friend..."the other day I happened to see you coming into your berth...."...kinda thing.....and tuck it in the door or somewhere else where they would be certain to see it and it not get lost. Just a thought.

I guess it begs the question, should I have wandered up to the skipper and his partner and given them the benefit of my observation, only to receive the succinct Aussie two word reply concerning sex and travel? :ermm:

That's a tricky one since what looks dangerous to one person may not be or feel dangerous at all to another. If this lady does this as a matter of course, she may feel totally safe and secure. If she was clearly uncomfortable and scared, that's a different scenario.

We see people standing on swimsteps (I assume that's the same as your Marlin board) all the time as a boat comes in for a docking. On some boats, like American Tugs, that's the only way onto and off the boat. So the line handler opens the gate, steps out and over to the dockside end of the swimstep holds onto the transom (or not) and when the boat arrives at the dock he/she steps off with their line.

While this situation could develop into a disaster if the person fell off, the fact is that this could be said about anything, even crossing a street.

The other fact is that it's impossible to know how secure a person feels when they're doing something unless you're that person doing it. I don't like manmade heights (airplanes and cliffs and things are not a problem). So when one of my cameramen climbs into a snorkle lift bucket that takes him 120 feet in the air I feel that he's nuts and that he's doing something incredibly dangerous. But I know that in reality, it's no more dangerous than driving on the freeway to the location where he did this.

So in this particular instance if it looked like the lady with the boathook was doing something she always does in this situation I'd leave them be. If this is how they prefer to operate their boat and if they feel it's totally safe then they will most likely tell you---- as would I--- to go sex-travel.:)

So I tend to leave people to their own devices unless it's very obvious they are scared or in trouble. From your description, it doesn't sound like the lady with the boathook was either one.

Last edited:
Or if you feel so strongly about the situation that you want to say something.

Wonder over there and help them land the boat and then kindly comment to the lady, in a concerned voice. "Be really careful about standing on the swim step while your husband is backing the boat." "If you slip and fall in, he would back right over you and you know those propellers are churning away right underneath your feet." "It would be bad!"

If she is already concerned about her safety, that visual description should convince her to rethink the situation. If not, you tried. . . You can't be everybody's keeper all the time!!

Larry B

Be sure to talk to him in a polite, non-confrontational way.

"Listen up, dumbass..."

Wonder over there and help them land the boat and then kindly comment to the lady, in a concerned voice. "Be really careful about standing on the swim step while your husband is backing the boat." "If you slip and fall in, he would back right over you and you know those propellers are churning away right underneath your feet." "It would be bad!"
But if you hear the husband exclaim "Rats! They`re onto me! Hope I didn`t damage the gearbox with all those swift jerky fwd/reverse- reverse/fwd changes", just get out of there.

This past weekend a dock neighbor's wife climbed to the top of their mast to pull cable without wearing a safety harness. I said nothing as her husband described her as the 'risk taker.' Really!!! It isn't in my DNA to not say something, even if it's in the way of a joke to alert the senses. Yes, she came down the mast without incident, but this only reinforces that her unsafe behavior is proper for the task. Had she slipped and knocked some flesh off her shins it may have served as a wake up that prevents a fall to her death in the future. I said nothing either, but should have.

Different perspectives. You did say she was holding on to the transom and so, apparently, was aware of the potential for a fall. It seems like she was taking adequate precautions from her perspective. Did it look like they were practised and knew what they were doing or were they unsure about it?

Some people go out on the large ocean in small boats... isn't that dangerous, at least to some?

In my experience, people don't like being corrected by total strangers. My marina is also a drystack marina so there are many very inexperienced boaters in the slips on weekends and holidays. I will often help them dock their boats if the dockhands aren't around. I try to help by saying things like "It would be better if you got your docklines and fenders in place before you come into the marina." but they usually just give e a dumb look or an even dumber response.

But who is to say that "my" way is the right way anyway? I have no badge or stripes on my sleeve.

I may say something to them if I'm helping them (as above), but I wouldn't walk down the dock and start criticizing another boater's way of doing something.

Not boring you are we Hendo?

In this particular case, I would not say anything unless I could see a definite way to improve upon the way they are doing things. Other than that it is just a matter of being careful. But in the case of the lady up the mast, I would have said something. It is just too easy to send her up with a safety tether that could save her life. Or maybe the husband was up to something....;-/

Must be a slow news day. Coming up on 30 posts and the whole issue should have stopped at post #2 with a succinct MYOB. If there were kids involved I could understand the urge to butt in but in this situation ........ while you're butting in anyway, why not explain the deficiencies in their anchoring gear or maybe you could explain to them why twins are inherently less reliable.

MYOB folks.

My wife has a saying, "you can't fix stupid". She should know she has tried for years.

Bottom line for me is if a persons operation of a boat will effect me directly in some way I will speak up. Other wise I think of what my wife says and sit back and enjoy the show.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom