Access Issues To Flybridge On GB36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the right boat I'd install one of those chair lift things on the stairs like that lady had in "The Farmer's Daughter".

Coming from sail to trawl I found the fly bride on my GB32, and then my MT34 was something I only use for getting in and out of the slip. I don't care for the feel of the boat up there, and don't like being that far removed from the sound of the engine.

You may find you feel the same way, making the ladder less of an issue.

I knew a guy in a wheel chair that used to hoist himself onboard snd up to the flybridge of a 33 Egg Harbor sportfish.

Having trouble with 2 or 3 steps is different than someone who cant do steps at all.

Ingenuity is gold. Most boats in this class are going to have steps, no elevators, lifts or hoists.

If the boat fits except for 3 steps ....and single level houseboats are out of the question...I doubt you will find a boat without steps someplace. So just fix the steps....its not that hard.

Use the boom & electric winch. (Just kidding). Is she a candidate for knee surgery? Even with a sedan there are always lots of steps required in and around trawlers, with potential to fall. Fixed piers, transom steps, into dinghy, out of dinghy, etc. Bad knees are frustrating. And, Welcome to TF!

There are people who design house modifications for people with mobility issues. Might sound overkill, but they are likely to have the ideas already developed in their mind. Get one onboard, with whoever is going to make the modified steps or whatever is selected, you might move things along quickly.

If your hart is set on a particular boat do the best you can to make it work. My advise however is to pick a boat that fits your needs and abilities. Fly bridges have there place and for some are a necessity they are nevertheless an added danger for some folks. Have you anticipated your wife's trouble with steps getting worse over time?

I just saw what might be a GB 42 with a staircase made of stainless descending from the FB onto the aft cabin top. Not sure it it were custom or not, but appeared quite formidable and sturdy

We sold our last boat due to the 7 step ladder to the flybridge. We couldn't get the dog up to the bridge. We bought a sundeck trawler because the steps were divided into smaller sections. The previous steps to the bridge from the sundeck were beautiful fiberglass steps, but were skinny and somewhat slippery. I removed the steps and made new wider steps out of C channel aluminum and put Seadeck nonskid on them. The dog has no problem going up and down now and it is also easier for us also. I would second the suggestion of making new steps from the aft deck area and putting up a sturdy handrail, unless the boom is usable as a handrail.

Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely check in on the GB forum to see how other GB 36 owners have dealt with this.

We also have a tri cabin. All steps are navigable at the pier. Can she manage them in a 3' chop with 3 second frequency (Chesapeake Bay is my reference)? Different animal altogether.

IAGBO

Bruce, this a redirection to the GB Owners site. I hope it helps give you some ideas. I also put this link on the site itself. I noticed that you logged in. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely check in on the GB forum to see how other GB 36 owners have dealt with this.

I'd do whatever it took to make it easy for her now and in the future. If that was not possible, then I'd get another boat. I love flybridges but they aren't right for everyone. You can find a boat without one but with a lot of space, especially if it has a Portuguese bridge and a nice aft deck.

Safety first, always.

Back
Top Bottom