Howdy! My wife and I have an accepted offer on a 2001 Mainship 390. We are super excited, and got to actually see her on Friday for about 4 hours. Yes, we put together an offer on the boat without seeing it....also using a buyer's broker. If you really want an "in demand" boat right now, you should consider doing the same!
The survey is scheduled for about 3 weeks from now, and sea trial hopefully shortly after. I'm looking for help/opinions on a few big items. The basics of the boat:
2001 Mainship 390
- Yanmar 6LP-STE 300HP, 15xx hours. NOT affected by the Yanmar valve issue.
- Kohler 8KW gen, 114 hours
- Freshwater only. 2nd owner. 300 hours 1st owner. 15xx hours now.
(there's obviously more but this is all for now)
- The boat has been on the hard since Fall 2019. Inside, heated storage the entire time.
Like every boat, there is a story. I believe this is a good one, but have some questions and looking for guidance. The former owner is unavailable, but I have a ton of service records and more on the way. Trying to organize this in a "important stuff first" and will add pictures if I have them. Thanks in advance for your help!
Grounding event, August 2018
Insurance repair. Trying to get more details and pictures, but here is what I know:
- 100 hours of fiberglass repair and woodworking
- 1/2 gallon west system hardner
- 32oz 105 resin
- Qty. "4" fiberglass - biaxial cloth/ per ft.
- 1.5 gal seahawk AF33 bottom paint
- Rudder, prop and shaft removed. Prop and shaft sent out for repair.
- Shaft replaced..maybe? Is $1000 enough to replace a shaft?
Hoping I can get more details, but based on the data above, how big of a deal was this? Obviously this will be a focus of the survey.
Monster bilge pump, maybe installed after the above event?
- Johnson Pump 4000. Were these stock, or is this added? I've never seen a pump so big, the picture does not do it justice. It's HUGE!
The swim platform
- Has one access panel. Opened and it was sealed well. Like opening a can of peanuts...you know, that sealed sound? It's been out of the water since Fall 2019. It was very moist, and the bilge pump was trying to run. Check valve holding water, bilge pump trying to pump every few mins.
- Listed as "Reinforced swim platform and resealed in 2014"
The access - Is this stock? I thought there were supposed to be 3? (Mainship issue, used to be foam filled, removed foam and did something back in 2002?)
The inside - So, it was wet, after a whole season of being out of the water, inside heated storage? So it's sealed really well? Or it does leak, and the water can't get out? Also, note the cruddy wiring job to the bilge pump using what I'm assuming is solid core household wiring. Yep, on the list to fix.
I've read so much on these platforms. Some are supposed to drain into the main bilge. Some are not, that's what the pump is for. Not sure how to feel about this one.
Port sliding windows frozen shut
- These windows...circled in yellow -
- Frozen means they move a little, but it seems to me the sliding tracks, the felt-like soft window sealing stuff? It's hard, and the windows don't open. I didn't try too hard, but almost feel if I had been able to get it wet, they would move. The windows on the other side move fine. Maybe this was the side open to the weather in the slip?
Look at the attachment point to the rudder post. This HAS to be just an indicator device for the AP, right? 2 hose clamps and a weak looking piece of aluminum can't be the autopilot steering. Am I correct this is the indicator?
Hoses from Kohler Generator up through step to AC/Heat?
These hoses run from the gen up to under the step, which I believe houses the salon AC/Heat unit. Yes, I see the hoses are cracked a bit. I should replace, right? The black hoses with green stripes:
Is this the heat? Or to assist the heat?
Those are the main items I have for now. I've got lots of documentation to go through, this owner was on top of it and did a lot to keep this boat in great shape. Once we are "final final" I'll tell the larger story...and yes with tons more pics. Thank you all for your advice!
If you think of any other problem areas I should dig into, I'd love your thoughts!