Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Smithfield
I have a davit with a 120V hoist. It does OK but it is hard on the braking system. I had the same davit for 10 years and replaced the hoist motor once. If you are anchored and your genny fails you got to go to plan b.

motoryacht lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
No shortage of 12v vehicle recovery style winches on eBay for $100 delivered that are good for around 3000lb.
Know more than a boats with them on with no dramas yet
Tempted to get one as we have 3 speed trailer hand winches. Easy on the light end but the 30hp end on an 800lb outfit gets a bit heavy.

Once lifted we have spectra strops and hooks to take the load off of the winch

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #23
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
No shortage of 12v vehicle recovery style winches on eBay for $100 delivered that are good for around 3000lb.
Tempted to get one as we have 3 speed trailer hand winches. Easy on the light end but the 30hp end on an 800lb outfit gets a bit heavy.

I have been struggling with how to improve my hoisting of a 750 lb load, my Caribe 12 with Honda 40. The present setup is traditional style davits, so the bow is lifted separately from the stern. Weight distribution is roughly 250/500. The winches I am presently using are single speed self tailing sailboat winches. Everything except the dinghy came with the boat. The original load was a Whaler 9, so less than 1/2 the present weight. I have already changed the lines from a 2 part tackle to a 4 part. That has helped, but is not enough. A year or so ago I bought a 12v ATV winch thinking this could lift the stern more easily. When I thought about the installation, I realized I would need to run two 25' cables the size of my finger. That would be both inconvenient and expensive. Then I would need to build something to protect the steel cased winch from the salt environment. Time to re-think.
Today I was in Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo (My all time favourite Chandlery) and a pair of triple shiv blocks leaped into my hand. They may be the solution, as a 6 part tackle will require 2/3 the energy for 1.5 times as long, to lift the stern of the dinghy. I think I can manage that!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #24
Guru

Yep, can be a problem.
I have a box already built into the top deck which will mean about 4 ft of cable and most winches come with that amount.
Drop one of our original and still OK 200AH agm batts which are doing nothing in the box and a $50 solar panel on top to keep it charged is what I was thinking.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Nick Jackson Co, is one that uses hoists. .
Very popular and common in the PNW. Mine has been going strong since new, 15 years. Made locally. And if I ever run into trouble I can grab a bottle of wine and head to Keith's local repair shop on Saltspring Is.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #26
Guru

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Our 10' Rigid dinghy with all of the accessories and 15 hp four stroke outboard weigh in around 575 with a full tank of gas. We ended up replacing our DC winch (proper definition) with a 110 ac hoist with a 1200 lb dead lift rating. Honestly, it was almost a bit too strong and tended to snap-lift the dinghy. We wouldn't hesitate to switch to ac again, though. Worked great for our needs.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #27
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Very popular and common in the PNW. Mine has been going strong since new, 15 years. Made locally. And if I ever run into trouble I can grab a bottle of wine and head to Keith's local repair shop on Saltspring Is.
Tom: you are most welcome to do just that! Though I have little to offer should it be electronics that fail.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but as I still have enough energy to hoist using the manual winches, it isn't rising on the list very quickly."

Plan B might be a small reduction gearbox and a rechargeable power drill .

Hold it in place while in operation,

Done!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #29

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Google Ultimate Cranker for one of many electric sailboat winch handles.

I have no connection or interest - it's just the first one I came across, knowing they are out there.

A bit pricey, but so are 3-sheave mid-size blocks with ball bearing sheaves.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Hoists are valuable due to their braking function. A winch will "work", since in a davit system it is pulling horizontally, but I can't imagine not having one without a brake unless your dinghy is ultra ultra light.

Plan B for us involved snap shackle quick release and towing.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #31

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

I'd add to this that you should convert to synthetic line vs the cable that will rust and get frayed ..
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You may have a hoist. The term winch is used pretty freely. I'm sure there are winches that are used for hoists successfully. I apologize if I've ruffled your feathers. I'm only bringing it up from a safety standpoint for those who are considering building or changing their systems.
As a PM job this week, I had our Maxwell windlass solenoid swapped out for a new one. The unit is a sealed "box" and well marked. The markings say Maxwell Winch Solenoid.

As an aside, I have been around many large mine hoists. Brakes, variable speed, reversing, AC to DC drives etc. as you say Larry, never heard these hoists call winches. Somebody better tell Maxwell and others to use their Funk and Wagnalls.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
A windlass is a winch.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I'd add to this that you should convert to synthetic line vs the cable that will rust and get frayed ..
Yep.
$107 with spectra already fitted.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/1530127656...c096defff38c7f
Old 05-10-2018, 04:30 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
The PO installed a 120VAC hoist on my boat. It worked OK, but had manual/free-swing rotation. That rotation was at times far more 'exciting' than I cared for. But had I been able to convert it to 230VAC/50Hz I likely would have kept it. As it happened the manufacturer said 'sorry, parts are no longer available to convert to 230VAC'.

So the obvious choice, as I was in Port Townsend at the time, was a Nick Jackson unit. Hoist 12V, and hydraulic boom lift and rotation also 12V. Five years and no issues apart from a little rust on the hydraulic ram. My dingy is an 14' AB aluminium which runs about 800# from memory incl. Honda 40. About the same the PO's GRP Novurania & 14'/Yamaha 50.

I think 12V is a good way to go, but would only ever use a device (whatever you want to call it) that powers down as well as up, and has a locking mechanism (eg brake) in the event of motor failure. I never want that much weight able to swing loose. Beware the manual rotation systems!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #36

City: Florida
Vessel Name: MOJO
Vessel Model: Beebe 49-10 Passagemaker in steel
I converted my anchor windlass from a 1/2 hp DC motor to a 3/4 hp AC motor. This was after I rebuilt the DC motor twice and replaced it once. Not sure why it kept failing, but I suspect it was under powered for the job & maybe the wiring was undersized resulting in low voltage operation. Just a guess since for some reason I never measured the voltage when under load (duh). Anyway, the AC motor has been working great for 5 years now. I do have start the generator to run it, but that's no big deal. I used a solid state dc/ac solenoid to activate the motor - dc input to the pick and ac to the load. The hand control was on a cable and I wasn't comfortable with a handheld ac controller standing in the rain on a steel deck! I later added a wireless remote which works great. If I had (have) to do it over again, I'd definitely stick with the ac motor - much less expensive than dc, easier to wire, and more reliable. Via a turning block and block and tackle, the windlass is also used to raise/lower the dinghy its deck cradle.

MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davit, replacement, winch