AC/DC Receptacle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troubadour

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TRAVELLER
Vessel Make
42' CHB Present
Anyone know where i can source a replacement for this receptacle. Can't seem to locate one on the internet.:banghead:

Thanks...

Attachments

• DSCN0985 (600x450).jpg
    DSCN0985 (600x450).jpg
    155 KB · Views: 106
Troubadour,

I have some, if you really want to stay with that type; I changed all but one of mine, the one under the aft locker.

Let me see what I have left, I may have tossed the cover plates. How many you looking for?

I only need one (1) but will take several if you want to get rid of them. The only reason I'm staying with this design is it is located under my fridge and I don't want to hard wire the DC side of my fridge.

Last edited:
I have four. Not sure why I was saving them, nostalgia maybe - no other value except to you. Can not locate the covers at the moment, but I have saved everything else, so they may still turn up. I will look some more.

I can send you 3, keeping one as a souvenir, with the caveat that you will not horde them. If someone, someday is looking again, you should pass them along.

PM me with your address and I will mail by slow boat. If you want them Priority 1, FedX Overnite, send me your billing #......

Thanks...will send PM.

The upper one is a standard 120 V, 15 amp grounded receptacle turned sideways from the normal orientation. The lower one is a standard 120V, 15 amp ungrounded receptacle, flipped upside down and wired for 12V. If you accidently plug your 12V cord into the top receptacle it could prove interesting.

Also I am sure that the NEC does not allow mixing 120V and 12V in one box.

David

From back in the day when boat builders figured captains were smarter than a box of rocks. :D

The upper one is a standard 120 V, 15 amp grounded receptacle turned sideways from the normal orientation. The lower one is a standard 120V, 15 amp ungrounded receptacle, flipped upside down and wired for 12V. If you accidently plug your 12V cord into the top receptacle it could prove interesting.

Also I am sure that the NEC does not allow mixing 120V and 12V in one box.

David

Actually they are not standard in the US at all. I had (emphasis on had) a bunch of those on my 41 President. I have replaced them all with US-standard 120 outlets and removed the few that were DC outlets. Those covers are two-part and the inside pops out. Once you get the inside part of the cover off the screws are accessible to remove the outer part of the cover. The outlets are individual blocks that are crimped into a steel frame.

Marty.....................

The easiest to install DC outlets are 240V sockets and then 240V plugs.

In 15 or 20A they match 120v in terms of looks.

The sideways blade slot keeps dummies from putting a 120V plug into the socket.And maintains polarity.

They make a great replacement for cigar lighters as a 12V power source as they can carry 15 or 20A for long periods of time with out heating up.

They also fit into std house exterior covered boxes , for spotlight or other on deck use.

Last edited:
I have three of these things, I put those child safe plastic things in the 12v ones to keep idiots like me from plugging something into them. I did rig a small inverter to plug into the 12v socket.

Back
Top Bottom