Abydos (wrecked off Iceland in 1907)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katyrrell

I'm interested in this ship and her crew. I found her on wrecksite but the administrators were unable to find anything about her crew. They suggested I try a trawler forum and see what happens.

The ship was built in 1905 by Cook, Welton & Gemmell but on 20 March 1907 she ran around and was wrecked off Iceland. Her IMO/Off. no. was 118949 (if that makes any sense to anyone).

My great-great grandfather was lost there when she wrecked. I'm trying to find out more about the crew - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

We're mostly guys and gals floating around trying not to wreck. Mostly just talk about boats we currently own, how to fix them, improve them and the like. Good luck with your search.

You might try the g captain and yacht forums sites with the same question. The Iceland Maritime History Museums may have leads too

I'd start with Loyds Registry or the Mercantile Navy list.

Vessels lost at sea were almost a weekly event in 1905 and despite the fact there was loss of life, this tragedy would only have been covered by the local newspapers in Iceland. If you contact the main library in Iceland I'm certain that they would have a news clipping on microfilm. This would be your best source versus more formal records because it would give the human side of the story, often in great detail.

Good luck & let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom