Old 06-21-2020, 10:52 PM   #1

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: The Janie C
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42
ABYC codes

I am about to take possession of my Uniflite 42. After inventory (and if I'm lucky), I expect I'll have a bit of remedial wiring to do. (If I'm not so lucky, I'll have a LOT of remedial wiring to do.)

I'd like to have a copy of the ABYC electrical codes to help with the work and I can't find a single collection of "electrical standards" that covers the entire vessel. They sell them piecemeal at $50 a pop which would be about $500.

A-16 Electric Navigation Lights $50
A-27 Alternating Current (AC) Generator Sets $50
A-28 Galvanic Isolators $50

etc...

https://abycinc.org/page/StandardsSupp58

Is there a place to get a full copy of the electrical standards? It seems they'd be readily & easily available so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Tak
Ps. Also I can't figure out why my profile picture doesn't show up in my posts. I have the right size png file uploaded and have the "show profile picture" checked.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. T. MY $.02...Do what is necessary as advised by your surveyor. AYBC "codes" are suggestions ONLY. IF the surveyor OK's the electrical, you're good to go with your insurance company. I would suggest getting the newest copy of Calder's book and refer to that for your refurbishments. https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me.../dp/0071790330
Old 06-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. T. MY $.02...Do what is necessary as advised by your surveyor. AYBC "codes" are suggestions ONLY. IF the surveyor OK's the electrical, you're good to go with your insurance company. I would suggest getting the newest copy of Calder's book and refer to that for your refurbishments. https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me.../dp/0071790330
This
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I don't know that you really need an ABYC guide to do electrical. Understand the basic principals of installation (crimping, sealing, retaining, abrasion prevention). Understand how to size and fuse properly for load and distance.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Tak,
I was an electrical engineer in a former life and I have to agree with other repliers that the ABYC codes are written like Gov regs and not so easy to use in a practical setting, whereas the Calder book is much more practical and affordable.
I'd recommend a full assortment of the heat-shrink self-adhesive butt connectors of varying size, a good ratcheting crimper, and a good wire stripper.
One more thing if you don't have it: I'd recommend an electric label maker so you can label everything as you go along, these are priceless on a boat
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
In addition to Calder's book take a look at "Boat Owner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook" by Charlie Wing.

You'll be buying hardware. Hard to go wrong with Blue Seas hardware. Their web site and downloadable catalog are a wealth of information.

MarineHowTo.com is another great resource.

Regarding ABYC being "suggestions". It is correct ABYC standards are not law. However many surveyors inspect to current ABYC standards, insurance companies then expect you to correct the surveyor's findings to ABYC standards. In my opinion it's easier to follow ABYC standards as I go along than "correct defeciencis" after the survey.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takoradi View Post
I am about to take possession of my Uniflite 42. After inventory (and if I'm lucky), I expect I'll have a bit of remedial wiring to do. (If I'm not so lucky, I'll have a LOT of remedial wiring to do.)

I'd like to have a copy of the ABYC electrical codes to help with the work and I can't find a single collection of "electrical standards" that covers the entire vessel. They sell them piecemeal at $50 a pop which would be about $500.

A-16 Electric Navigation Lights $50
A-27 Alternating Current (AC) Generator Sets $50
A-28 Galvanic Isolators $50

etc...

https://abycinc.org/page/StandardsSupp58

Is there a place to get a full copy of the electrical standards? It seems they'd be readily & easily available so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Tak
Ps. Also I can't figure out why my profile picture doesn't show up in my posts. I have the right size png file uploaded and have the "show profile picture" checked.
This is one thing I really have against the ABYC standards. As a boat owner, wanting to have the actual list of standards even if they do read like government regulations was something I wanted as well and also looked for. You have to rely on hearsay and third party interpretations which is annoying unless you want to spend several thousand dollars to buy all the applicable standards, with the electrical alone at more than $500 as the OP states. Something reasonably priced for the boat owner/ DIY straight from the source that covered most things a boat owner might work with (Electrical, through hulls, plumbing, etc...) would sure be nice.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Good info above.

Welcome to TF.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If you research a particular subject enough...sooner or later you get an appropriate excerpt from the ABYC standards.

I believe Blue Sea has some online as well as Paneltronics .... https://www.paneltronics.com/Technical.asp?op=ABYC

There are other sources like when our member Boatpoker was discussing propane system installs....or just what some member quotes from something they had and several reputable members verify it (fact? no but good enough depending one the members)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
This is one thing I really have against the ABYC standards. As a boat owner, wanting to have the actual list of standards even if they do read like government regulations was something I wanted as well and also looked for. You have to rely on hearsay and third party interpretations which is annoying unless you want to spend several thousand dollars to buy all the applicable standards, with the electrical alone at more than $500 as the OP states. Something reasonably priced for the boat owner/ DIY straight from the source that covered most things a boat owner might work with (Electrical, through hulls, plumbing, etc...) would sure be nice.
Books like Calder's and Wing's fulfill that very purpose, as does https://marinehowto.com/.

I'd have to say 500 bucks doesn't sound unreasonable for the whole of AYBC's standards. Given other expert resources such as those mentioned, I rate them a "nice to have" for the amateur yachtsman, such as me.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Books like Calder's and Wing's fulfill that very purpose, as does https://marinehowto.com/.

I'd have to say 500 bucks doesn't sound unreasonable for the whole of AYBC's standards. Given other expert resources such as those mentioned, I rate them a "nice to have" for the amateur yachtsman, such as me.
$500 barely covers electrical. If it was for the whole of them, I could agree. I don't know how much the whole of them would cost. I have all of the resources mentioned above, most are excellent and have a reasonable estimation of what the standards are for most things I deal with, but that's not the same as having the actual standards. I'm surprised the government hasn't stepped in and created a set of standards, regulations and enforcement like they have with other transport industries. (Auto, Aviation, etc...)
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Regard the PS: the photo that shows up on your posts is called an avatar, see this link for more.......
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
One might think as often as insurance companies want you to follow these guidelines....they would somehow make them accessible to you....it's in their best interest.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
Tak,
One more thing if you don't have it: I'd recommend an electric label maker so you can label everything as you go along, these are priceless on a boat

Sledge, is there a particular label maker/labels that withstand the moisture and heat of the engine room?

Tak
Old 06-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #15

Thanks Psneeld. Very helpful.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Regard the PS: the photo that shows up on your posts is called an avatar, see this link for more.......

As the great American philosopher H Simpson would say, "DOH!"

Thanks

Tak
Old 06-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takoradi View Post
As the great American philosopher H Simpson would say, "DOH!"

Thanks

Tak
Looking good.........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have a Brother label maker and so far it has been very good.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I have used a Brother P-touch 1000 label maker as well, directly on high heat things like oil filters and heat exchanger tanks, intercoolers, etc to note hours and date of servicing. Not to mention a variety of other ER things.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #20
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Supposed to be a five day free trial or some such. Sign up. Download what you want then let it expire.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abyc, codes, electrical, standards