ABYC Cite PLEASE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My thinking is if you added the second dbl pole breaker at the inlets you would be covered and negate the need to have ever dbl pole at the panel.
I'm surprised that even in that era when they offered a 50A option they only have sgl pole main breakers.
At least you are clear on ABYC and can make an informed decision.

I'm surprised that even in that era when they offered a 50A option they only have sgl pole main breakers.
At least you are clear on ABYC and can make an informed decision.

I'm surprised as well, as my panel was built from the factory with double pole main breakers on an 86 model (for 2x 50A 125V inlets).

Here is a pic of my panel. Two rotary switches (off, shoe, gen) and two circuit breakers. One for each leg coming into the boat. 20200410_175119_001.jpeg

I’m surprised but they do appear to be single pole.

John

After doing some studying and research with the help from TF, it would appear I have yet another hole to drill (about 3 in or so) and install additional circuit breakers.

Hell it's only money. But there is no way I am just going to rip out my electrical panel and rebuild it, just because ABYC "recommends" it. If I rebuild it, then it will get upgraded, but only then.

Putting a c/b on the neutral side on an AC circuit is just so foreign and backwards to me.

Isn't ABYC from California. Were they stoned when they adopted this "recommendation"?:eek::D:rofl:

Hi Alaskan Sea-Duction,

As I mentioned earlier, remember that neutral is...

-- The hot wire in a reverse polarity situation, which can go unnoticed, depending upon other safeguards.
-- Normally a current carrying conductor, just like hot.
-- Not normally bonded to ground aboard the boat, at least when on shore power so, absent other safeguards can develop a potential over length.
-- Has the capacity to carry loads to ground if there is no ELCI/RCD/GFCI

...we can also think about failure modes in biphasic situations like 2x30A or certain 50A service.

Risk management is always about the height of the fence. But, there are clear reasons for it to be this way in boats, especially that the "main" panel is just a subpage from the perspective of shore power and ground and neutral arent bonded within it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom