Absolute Navetta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saraml

Vessel Name
Westward Drift
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hi everyone,

We are looking at buying an Absolute Navetta (either 52 or 58). It's a "fast" trawler and has some nice features. Anyone have any experience with Absolute yachts?

Also, the boats use Volvo IPS drives. It seems like folks either love them or hate them. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I love Volvo IPS from an operations stand point but I hate the required maintenance and expense. If money is not a concern then the IPS is the best thing out there. If money is an issue then you should think twice. Not just the maintenance expenses but the extreme depreciation that boats with theses systems experience.

Look at all the Volvo threads here. A friend was crewing on an boat that was being moved from Maine to Florida by a hired captain. It had the IPS drives. Don’t know if it was the IPS of just Volvo issues, but they had to leave the boat 3 times for weeks each time due to Volvo problems. Finally the owner told them to give up and called the dealer and told the dealer to get the boat to Florida since it was still under warranty. Volvo support isn’t good. I had a brand new boat with twin DuoProps and the only way to keep them running was that I sold boats part time for the dealer so he would pull parts off a new boat to keep mine running. If I didn’t have the dealer willing to scavenge parts off new boats it would have been down about half the first year. Never again. We were looking for a different boat recently and there were several that had Volvos that looked like they would meet our desires but I would not even look at them.

Hi everyone,

We are looking at buying an Absolute Navetta (either 52 or 58). It's a "fast" trawler and has some nice features. Anyone have any experience with Absolute yachts?

Also, the boats use Volvo IPS drives. It seems like folks either love them or hate them. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Are you looking at new?

Absolute Navetta is very similar to Azimut Magellano. They are not trawlers, but they are semi-displacement small motor yachts designed to appeal to those looking for spacious boats to cruise longer distances at moderate speeds. In that regard similar to the Beneteau Swift Trawler at a larger size range.

Where do they succeed? Great layouts, great space for their size. Comfortable cruising. Enjoyable family boats.

Where do they fail? They don't really but they are what they are. They are coastal cruising boats, not long range or ocean crossing. They are decidedly not KK's, not Nordhavn's but then most boat buyers don't own KK's or Nordhavn's. Note the Navetta is only designed to a CE Level B. Similar to Swift Trawlers.

So, let's back up. What is your intended use and intended cruising area? They could be excellent for your purposes or a mismatched choice.

Now as to the Volvo IPS. Volvo dominates the European market in this size range. Their reputation in Europe is excellent. Seeing an Italian builder go in this direction is very expected. Also, IPS is taking market share in the 40 to 65' range of semi-displacement boats. Princess was a leader in IPS and is exclusively IPS in those sizes. Sunseeker has moved that way. Prestige is exclusively IPS in those ranges. While not going to IPS, even builders like Riva have moved to Volvo in their smaller boats.

Volvo service in the US has lagged but is improving. IPS maintenance is slightly more expensive but easily paid for in fuel savings. Still, we had the choice on our last loop boat and chose not to go with IPS simply because we weren't confident in service expertise in all the areas we'd be cruising. Your ability to get the level of service you need may depend on where you are.

I ask if you're talking new as when you look at older IPS I'd be less confident. With new though I'd have to ask who is going to provide you warranty service, is there a dependable dealer in your area.

Thanks so much. Really helpful. We currently own a Beneteau Swift Trawler 44 and cruise in the PNW up into Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. We are looking for more room and comfort.

We are looking at a 2018 Absolute in FL and hope to cruise to the Keys, Bahamas and possibly up the ICW.

Thanks so much. Really helpful. We currently own a Beneteau Swift Trawler 44 and cruise in the PNW up into Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. We are looking for more room and comfort.

We are looking at a 2018 Absolute in FL and hope to cruise to the Keys, Bahamas and possibly up the ICW.

Well, the big question I'd have to ask is why is the 2018 available. What led the owner to sell it? I'd also definitely check service records and have both the boat and engine surveyed with a qualified Volvo surveyor doing the engine. If you like your Swift Trawler, you would likely also like the Navetta.

A boat in that price range should have a pretty complete owners maintenance log. What does it show in relation to the IPS drives?

Personally, I would stay away from it. I have softly grounded my boat a couple (few) times. The worst resulted in a slight "ding" to the prop. I waited until the end of the season to correct it. The other times were very soft and I was able to back down from both of them. It may have been a different story with IPS drives.

pete

Well, the big question I'd have to ask is why is the 2018 available. What led the owner to sell it? I'd also definitely check service records and have both the boat and engine surveyed with a qualified Volvo surveyor doing the engine. If you like your Swift Trawler, you would likely also like the Navetta.

People sell 2 year old boats for many reasons not related to the boat itself.. Probably may never know real reason for sale but its mostly irrelevant anyway. Agree hull and condition survey and Volvo tech engine, mechanical survey .

Back
Top Bottom