Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Abrasive blasting in pnw

While not wanting to hijack chester613's post regarding cost of bead blasting, his post did tickle a question I've had for many moons regarding media blasting in the Pacific Northwest, at least in the Puget Sound area in Washington State. So far, I haven't found a recreational marine repair facility (ie-pleasure boat yard like CSR), nor a government-owned port facility (Port of Everett, for instance) that will allow media blasting of any kind while hauled in their yard. Several regional portable media blasting companies are most happy to come on site and perform such a service (they do it for graffiti removal, for instance), with due concern and adherence to sound environmental practices, but the yard owners all say "NOOOOOOO-not nohow, not no way". Nor do the yard owners provide such a service (at whatever price) themselves.

Sanding or chemical removal (with provisions for tenting, ventilation, containment entrapment, collection, and disposal, etc.) seems to be the only local options I can find to remove failing bottom paint.

Any ideas?

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Try Ocean Pacific in Campbell River, BC.
Have no connection.
Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Try the other end of the sound (Tacoma) and call Modutech Marine. Years ago they blasted an Al hulled vessel parked next to ours. It is not a DIY yard.

Modutech Home Page
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Try Ocean Pacific in Campbell River, BC.
Have no connection.
Ted
Was just talking with them, and they do sand blasting on bottoms. They use silica sand, which is apparently illegal to use now in the US; they have a rigid environmental control system using hoarding etc.

I have no connection with them other than being a very satisfied customer.

Campbell River Marine Supply and Boatyard - Ocean Pacific Marine
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
The "media" (silica) used in sand blasting evidently may cause cancer in California. I am glad that I don't live there.
Try the term "water etching" that is what I had done last trip to the ship yard in Pensacola-same results-removed everything down to the steel.

dan
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
While we had our boat hauled at Seaview Boat Yard in Bellingham, a company came in and media blasted and large fiberglass boat right next to us. They had to tarp it all off,but were done in one day. Also, check out a company called MMLJ Manufacturing and watch their videos. There are alot of people who have set up a mobil business using their equipment ( maybe the guys I saw used this stuff). Seaview will know how to get hold of someone. They also let you do your own maintenance.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
While not wanting to hijack chester613's post regarding cost of bead blasting, his post did tickle a question I've had for many moons regarding media blasting in the Pacific Northwest, at least in the Puget Sound area in Washington State. So far, I haven't found a recreational marine repair facility (ie-pleasure boat yard like CSR), nor a government-owned port facility (Port of Everett, for instance) that will allow media blasting of any kind while hauled in their yard. Several regional portable media blasting companies are most happy to come on site and perform such a service (they do it for graffiti removal, for instance), with due concern and adherence to sound environmental practices, but the yard owners all say "NOOOOOOO-not nohow, not no way". Nor do the yard owners provide such a service (at whatever price) themselves.

Sanding or chemical removal (with provisions for tenting, ventilation, containment entrapment, collection, and disposal, etc.) seems to be the only local options I can find to remove failing bottom paint.

Any ideas?

Pete
Townsend Bay Marine in Port Townsend. I know it is allowed there. Also Latitude Marine in La Conner could do it. Both yards have confirmed this with me. Perhaps ask about glass blasting, which is around 60% of abrasive blasting, but if all you need is to go down to stable substrate it apparently works well.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Thanks everybody. Three good leads-Townsend Bay Marine in Port Townsend, Latitude Marine in La Conner, and Seaview in Bellingham. I wonder why the majority of the yards closer to Everett are so goosy about professional blasting. I get it regarding prohibitions on amateur do-it-yourself-ers for blasting. I have less empathy for prohibitions on experienced professionals with sound environmental practices, first-class equipment, and skilled operators. Finding a yard that will actually allow them on-site to do their job is like finding hen's teeth. Methinks they're spooked by the same yahoos that have proposed a no-discharge zone for all of Puget Sound. Thanks again.
Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Seaview West at Shilshole blasted my steel hull to spec 5 a year ago in their yard which is going to be closer to you. I do not remember if they subcontracted this out or not but clearly remember the environmental fee to haul off the substrate after they blasted.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
Guru

City: Anacortes
Last time I had a good ten years of paint taken off my 48, the yard used fein vacuums and orbital sanders. This equipment is not new or novel, and can even EPA compliant on things like lead. I watched as one guy and another part time stripped my entire bottom in one day. There was no tenting and no dust, and even the operators did not have to cocoon themselves as was the prior norm. It was fast, efficient and the boat was painted the next day.

Kind of took what had previously been a big deal down to what is now just few hours of un eventful labor. Makes me wonder now why I would do it any other way in the future. That's a big statement having previously tented boats and worn full gear to sand a boat, or watched as a neighbor boat sent dust onto my freshly polished top sides.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote