City: Sydney
14.816 kph here

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We cruise often at 8 MPH.

Knot really; usually somewhere between 7-8.5 kts. Waterline length is 43' so our economical speeds would theoretically be between about 6.5 kts and 8.8 kts... and at the lower end of that range would use less fuel...

But at the same time, we're usually balancing speed versus sea states versus backwash/froth rocking our aft-mounted dinghy too much if we go too fast but not on plane versus engine temps.

For the latter, we usually need around 1200 RPMs to get temps over the thermostat opening and steady within the (lower end of the) recommended operating range. After we reach that point, we can eventually move to lower RPMs without losing temps...

But it usually happens that about 1200 RPMs (plus/minus 25 wherever I can get the engines synced on a given trip) usually gives us about 8 or 8+ kts with no current to speak of, or about 7 kts into a stiffer current.

But then sometimes we run at 20 knots.

All good.

-Chris

Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #23

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
aren't you dudes something real Admirals of the ocean sea!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #24

City: Lutz
That's funny, The ICW and the Okeechobee waterways have mile markers. Guess all those people in boats on them are not "real boaters" (maybe robots?) lol And the amateur Previous owner I bought my trawler from had all his instruments set to miles ---- he had only traveled 3600 miles every year for the past 15 years round trip from Maine to Stuart Florida using miles-he evidently was not a "real boater" I wish I was a real boater . I have only traveled in my own sailboat s over 26000 nautical miles offshore in the past 47 years.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:13 AM   #25
Guru

When I am in an area that uses regular miles I set my GPS that way. When I am in an area that uses nautical miles I change again.
No big deal.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #26
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
What indicates it as the sweet spot?
She is quiet, nice smooth ride, gauges look perfect, handles well.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Speed consideration in a trawler is a bit of an oxymoron, kind of like "sailboat. racing". If the excitement of slicing through the waves with your combover flailing in the wind is your idea of proper boating, perhaps a trawler isn't the best choice.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #28
Guru

City: Trenton
I do 1750 RPM. It seems way faster to say.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #29
Guru

City: Northport
Whenever we were happy to go slow we did 6-6.5 knots (45-47' boats) because that was a very quiet and efficient speed. There would appear no reason to exceed that unless we were wanting to go fast which would be sacrifice the efficiency.
We often went fast but it was not a matter of stepping up 25% in speed for a 75% increase of fuel use per mile. ( 8 vs 6 knots)
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #30

City: Tacoma, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
To the original question, itís not just length, but also beam. Most trawlers increase the beam along with the length, keeping the same basic ratio intact, meaning the same basic max speed, give or take a knot.
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
That's funny, The ICW and the Okeechobee waterways have mile markers. Guess all those people in boats on them are not "real boaters" (maybe robots?) lol And the amateur Previous owner I bought my trawler from had all his instruments set to miles ---- he had only traveled 3600 miles every year for the past 15 years round trip from Maine to Stuart Florida using miles-he evidently was not a "real boater" I wish I was a real boater . I have only traveled in my own sailboat s over 26000 nautical miles offshore in the past 47 years.
Do you call the pointy end the front, the other end the rear, one side the left, and the other side the right? I have no issue with dirt dwellers not learning the nomenclature of boating. It just seems to me that if you have enough of an interest to buy a boat and cruise, you should strive to use the nautical terms.

Btw, in case you weren't aware, the ICW was laid out and marked by government employees (not mariners) for Inland (inside the line of demarcation ) navigation. That's why I differentiated myself from a land locked boater in my previous post.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
6.15 knots for Willy.

Sweet spot is a willy nilly expression that can mean numerous things.

1. Least vibration or noise is probably the most common.
2. Least fuel consumption. But that’s actually a speed almost
knows and it may be only about 4 knots.
3. Hull speed. Many think most things magical happen at hull speed.

And there are others like what the wife likes or what da book says. I think lots of us may just notice that even a bit above a certain rpm the noise seems to suddenly get a bit objectionable. Mark has said for years one knot below hull speed but that’s basically for his WLL and a full disp hull. Few fit into that slot on this fourm. 1 1/2 knot would be closer to cover all. And w many or even most SD hulls here hull speed would be hard to beat. After all SD hulls are designed to go faster.
But re fuel burn one knot below hull speed is a very good target to shoot for. Bigger boats burn more fuel and saving more would make even more sense. I thought the first time Mark said that, it was a good rule of thumb.

But sweet spot may just mean what speed we like the most. My point is that the “sweet spot” is not well defined at all but being inspecific on this forum has it’s advantages. How I got to 6.15 knots? Over time I noticed I very often picked 2300rpm and one day I did some back and forth runs and for all practical purposes the GPS said the average was 6.15.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #33
FF
Guru

'Most trawlers increase the beam along with the length, keeping the same basic ratio intact, meaning the same basic max speed, give or take a knot.'

Changes in the L/B ratio do not matter at displacement speeds till about 6-1 is reached.

More wetted surface at 6-1 means slower speed for same fuel burn, but less wave making at a higher speed is why skinny boats are built.

For most displacement boats waterline length is key to speed , weight is key to power required to get to that speed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #34
Guru

We run our 36' (40' OA) semi-displacement trawler at 8.5 knots, with the speed accurately ascertained by runnin' the measured mile monthly, before every Predicted Log contest.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #35
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
We were dirt hotelers recently in Astoria. I pulled up ship finder and saw some boat named Alaskan Sea Duction on AIS just up river. You should reach out to them having a similar boat name and all.
That is us at our winter dock! We are upriver about 40 miles or so...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
But then sometimes we run at 20 knots.
When I first bought Sandpiper, we topped off the fuel & water tanks, had 5 adults on board & went for a sea trial. The photo below shows the speed results. It does not, however, show the mpg! Suffice is to say I've never seen this speed again but I do run at 15-17 knots frequently. At 8 knots, she's about 1 mpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	74590  
Old 03-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #37
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The waterline length to speed ratio only works for pure displacement vessels, many on this forum aren't displacement hulls. They just operate them as displacement vessels at displacement speeds.

My 30' hull has a less than 30' waterline length, since it is a double ender. I can run 7 knots (1 gph) or 5.5 (.42 gph) but the true "happy speed" is somewhere in between where the harmonics of the engine are disagreeable. At 7 knots it's a wet ride in any kind of chop, at 5.5 I am floating in a happy little bubble on the surface.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Peconic
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Atlantic Prarie 30 LRC
Nobody has mentioned the formula for hull speed for displacement boats = 1.34X the square root of your waterline.
1Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I can run 7 knots (1 gph).
That is awesome!

This is almost double nmpg my 17 foot key west, all of maybe 1200 lbs.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #40

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Islander's hull speed calcs. to 7.76 kts. I find I like 1400 - 1600 rpm cruise which is usually between 6-7 knots. My boat is semi displacement and I have seen 12 kts @ 2200 rpm but the engines are working hard. Over time, running my usual cruise speeds I find I'm burning between .8 - 1.4 gpm fuel per engine which seems right in line with most Perkins 4-236s I've heard of in similar boats.

Kevin

tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote