8D Battery Hoist Beam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greysailor

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
2005 Defever 44
With all the recent posts regarding folks replacing their heavy 8D batteries, thought I'd post the hoist/beam/trolley I fabricated last year when I replaced my old 8Ds with GC cells. Sorry for the poor lighting in back of the shop...
The hoist allowed this 65yo sailor to singlehandedly lift the 8Ds, trolley them over the engines, and set them down on engine room floor, to be later hoisted up through floor hatch using a step ladder and ratchet hoist. A similar design for your boat may save someone's back if your batteries are outboard of twin engines as on my Defever 44.

The first picture shows the hoist beam with the left end that would sit on top of the fuel tank, the right end would be C-clamped to the engine room floor hatch support beam (ceiling of engine room). A sturdy (300lb rated) fiberglass stepladder was positioned in the main salon straddling the open floor plug, with a ratchet cable hoist (come-a-long) attached to the top step. The third picture shows the right side of the beam and the path of the hoist cable around a 4" sheeve on its way to the trolley block. The second picture shows the left end of the beam with the trolley block that rolls along the beam, and the restraining line that controls movement of the trolley block.

Other than a few 6013 welding rods and paint, everything came out of my scrap iron pile....Wife refers to me as "Rube Goldberg" more than she likes!:blush:

Anyhoo.....hope this helps someone!

Attachments

• 20180409_102534.jpg
    20180409_102534.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 20180409_102550.jpg
    20180409_102550.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 20180409_102600.jpg
    20180409_102600.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 216
I got the same results by offering two young strong guys a case of beer.

Yep, probably so....
Call me a control freak, but I didn't want 2 YSGs dragging 4 200lb batteries over my engines/Racors. Besides, even young backs get hurt lifting heavy items in odd positions. I did enlist some help to offload the batteries to the dock and into my truck.

Hmmm, that was part of the price for me buying new batteries from this company. This time, instead 2X8Ds that needed to be lifted over the engine, on the AT it was it was 2X4D to scoot over to the center of the tank room, lift up and walk them to the dock. Those young men didn't even work up a sweat this time.

Last edited:
... Those young men didn't even work up a sweat this time.
Don`t need a sweat to pop a disc and have back problems for the rest of life.

When I got rid of 2 4Ds from my sailboat, my son and I just lifted them up and carried then up the companionway ladder and off the boat. However, it was a bit of a stretch and I wouldn't have wanted to do it with 8Ds.

On Kinship, I was able to use the crane on the boat deck to lift them out of the boat and onto the dock. The hardest part was lifting them into the back of my explorer. Wish I'd had some help there.

I just don't understand 8D's being an option. GC batteries give comparable amp-hours in the same space.

I just don't understand 8D's being an option. GC batteries give comparable amp-hours in the same space.

I think the issue may be that people use the same 8D for both a start and house battery.
If you replace the 8D with two GC batteries you’ll have a better house bank, but you won’t have the 1100 to 1400 CCA required to start your diesel.
So for some the priority is to have reliable starting capacity and charge the house bank more often.

BTW I think greysailor’s hoist idea is an excellent solution for those of us that can’t or shouldn’t lift heavy objects.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom