Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #61
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
I was on the FB of a 32 GB over the weekend. My call as captain would be 4 people max (700 lbs?). Less as the water gets choppy. 0 under many conditions
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #62
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
After all this discussion, I would guess any lawyer will have a field day in the unfortunate event that somebody is actually hurt as a result of bridge overcrowding on this vessel!!!
Chris,

A lawyer would have a hey day if anyone is hurt on a boat, regardless of the cause.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
I was on the FB of a 32 GB over the weekend. My call as captain would be 4 people max (700 lbs?). Less as the water gets choppy. 0 under many conditions

Based on....?
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #64
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Wag
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #65
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
Based on prudence and commonsense, I`d say.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #66
Guru

There will always be people who push things to the limits. This is fine when it is ONLY their own lives at stake. Trouble is many times stupid actions by one person cause harm to many people. Then there are people who encourage others to take stupid actions that they might not be prepared to take for themselves. We may have some of both answering this posting. The OP obviously wants to stretch the limits and is seeking confirmation that it is OK to do so. There is no prudent way to do what he is proposing---ipso facto he is taking unnecessary risks with others well-being.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #67
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
There will always be people who push things to the limits. This is fine when it is ONLY their own lives at stake. Trouble is many times stupid actions by one person cause harm to many people. Then there are people who encourage others to take stupid actions that they might not be prepared to take for themselves. We may have some of both answering this posting. The OP obviously wants to stretch the limits and is seeking confirmation that it is OK to do so. There is no prudent way to do what he is proposing---ipso facto he is taking unnecessary risks with others well-being.
Ipso facto, you apparently didn't read post #40.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #68
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Many years ago when my daughter had just graduated from law school, we all met on my 42' Ocean Alexander sedan. All 9 of us were up on the fly bridge as we were going out the channel for a whale watching outing. When someone yelled "thar she blows on the port side" I started to turn to port when I felt the boat starting to lean uncomfortably to starboard. I quickly turned the boat to a straight ahead course and the boat righted itself. Too many people on the fly bridge for that boat! 8 people on a GB 32 fly bridge? I wouldn't do it!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #69
Guru

You are right. Missed #40 in all the clutter!!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #70

[QUOTE= Anyone know a good way to calculate this without just going out to see how far it tips? [/QUOTE]

Realistically, that IS how you do it. All the engineering ahead of time just gets you an estimate which, in most 'serious' cases, must be backed up by data from an inclining test on the completed vessel so the true center of gravity location can be confirmed. Once that's established then all the naval architecture calculations based on the hull shape can predict how the boat will behave and react to changes in that CG location.

Without hull lines or curves of form for a GB32 hull AND a very good estimate of the actual weight and CG location, it's just going to be a guess.

Getting a pro to run these estimates will take time and cost money, and require information that may take more time and money to obtain. If GB doesn't have something on file, an 'official' answer is unlikely.

Boatdesign.net may have some reasonably good explanations of the experiments and the math, if anyone's interested to that extent. And I would still search through whatever GB owners' communities there may be to get some relevant input.

Not that random TF members who own XYZ boats don't have relevant input, mind you.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Ipso facto, you apparently didn't read post #40.

And, IMHO, completely misread the spirit of post #1.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #72
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Chris,

A lawyer would have a hey day if anyone is hurt on a boat, regardless of the cause.
Good point. Maybe we can get the OP to put 8 or more lawyers on the flybridge.... Its a start !!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #73
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscritchett View Post

Getting a pro to run these estimates will take time and cost money, and require information that may take more time and money to obtain. If GB doesn't have something on file, an 'official' answer is unlikely. ...
Believe it is unlikely the professional will assume any liability. Basically, it's all on us owner-operators to bear liability. (Regardless, it is much more comfortable for me to be at deck-level, and I will not tolerate people on the Coot's roof while underway.)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #74
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Believe it is unlikely the professional will assume any liability. Basically, it's all on us owner-operators to bear liability. (Regardless, it is much more comfortable for me to be at deck-level, and I will not tolerate people on the Coot's roof while underway.)
I would not tolerate anyone on a flat roof of a boat with to guard rails... at any time.

That's why flying bridges have sides and a front, usually with hand rails on all top-surface areas. Flying bridges are usually really safe... flat roofs usually are not
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #75
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
If you had a 50' boat with 15' beam then the FB would probably be spacious enough to comfortably [and safely] accommodate up to 8 people max. But you don't. In your case, I believe four persons should be max for many reasons. Have the passengers alternate position in boat.
Hi Art, your comment is the one I was looking for. Daily during the cruise ship season, passing our home several times a day is a 50 foot "Crew Boat" I will call it, with up to 20 persons on the topside. Way too many folks. While there is equal space within the cabin area, unless it is horrid weather with rain and wind, all the passengers ride on top. I have witnessed the captain seeing sea life such as whales, sea lion, seal or eagles, making an announcement as to where the sighting is. The full rush of the folks to that side of the vessel produces a huge tilt, enough at times to cause me to wonder if common sense on passenger placement has been misplaced. Scary, yet in 15-20 knot winds with 3 foot seas, this operation continues.
So while 8 on the bridge seems to exceed common sense, one could gamble. However, it would not be this boater,
With a 28'X9.6'x4' boat such as ours at 12-13.000# the captain decrees no more than three while at sea in ALL conditions, more if on the anchor or at the float.
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #76
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Hi Art, your comment is the one I was looking for. Daily during the cruise ship season, passing our home several times a day is a 50 foot "Crew Boat" I will call it, with up to 20 persons on the topside. Way too many folks. While there is equal space within the cabin area, unless it is horrid weather with rain and wind, all the passengers ride on top. I have witnessed the captain seeing sea life such as whales, sea lion, seal or eagles, making an announcement as to where the sighting is. The full rush of the folks to that side of the vessel produces a huge tilt, enough at times to cause me to wonder if common sense on passenger placement has been misplaced. Scary, yet in 15-20 knot winds with 3 foot seas, this operation continues.
So while 8 on the bridge seems to exceed common sense, one could gamble. However, it would not be this boater,
With a 28'X9.6'x4' boat such as ours at 12-13.000# the captain decrees no more than three while at sea in ALL conditions, more if on the anchor or at the float.
Al-Ketchikan
Al - Funny how as we age "cautionary-common sense" continues to become more pronounced. Guess it's due to mentally recording life experiences and keeping our eyes open.

Regarding something like too much top-heavy weight on a boat: Natural mechanical-engineer ability to think things through plays a part in decisions made. Not too hard to realize that if we ourselves are carrying 100 lbs. on our shoulders for too long there is too good a chance we may encounter a rough footing and topple over. Whereas carrying same weight at waist height may make our back hurt but our chance of falling due to weight displacement is greatly diminished. 8 people on 32' boat's fly bridge while tied at dock between two finger walks or two other boats is maybe be OK. Out of slip... 8 on fly bridge... no way Jose!

We have originally built-in seating for 5 on our 34' x 12'6" beam hard chine Tollycraft with low cog due to twins, gen set and 2 100 gal tanks. I have had 4 on top in very calm seas and while anchored in protected area... always dispersed side to side. Don't remember ever having 5; that many would get crowded too . Vast majority of time there are only two on FB while traveling.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #77
Guru

City: Trenton
8 people on a flybridge? Only if 7 of them are supermodels.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #78
Guru

Most of those models only weigh 100lbs!!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #79
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Most of those models only weigh 100lbs!!
Wifey B: Supermodels typically between 5'9" and 6'0" (except Kate Moss at 5'7") and weigh between 120 lbs and 140 lbs. Most start modeling around 16 years old and weigh between 110 and 120 at that time.

People tend to underestimate the weight of the average person which is problematic for elevators and flybridges. Now the tiny 5'1" teen probably does weigh 100-110 lbs. But the average woman in Brazil and France is 138 lbs, Sweden is 147 lbs and US is 165 lbs. Average US Man is 195 lbs so out the window goes your estimates based on 150 lbs. as the average US adult is 180 lbs. Average Brazilian man is 160 lb and French man is 170 lb and Sweden is 180 lbs. Average height in US if 5'10" for men and 5'4" for women.

WHO is working to ban underweight/anorexic models. In fact, standards would call for a 5'10" model to weigh at least 129 lbs to be allowed on the runway. A BMI under 18.5 would be banned.

Gisele Bundchen 126 lbs.
Adriana Lima 135 lbs
Kate Moss 121 lbs
Lara Stone 132 lbs
Alessandra Ambrosia 119 lbs

Some of the other supermodel measurements would surprise you too.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #80
Guru

OK, I stand corrected!!
So only 3 super models allowed on bridge with captain.