8 Knots - Are you kidding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: I know nothing about roads without traffic. Where would you find those? I wouldn't mind a few laps in a race car or something. Seriously, my car has 530 hp and top speed around 190 and it's never been over about 90 mph and that would have been passing or something. Now, if I was somewhere open and no speed limit, it would be different. Someone mentioned Alps, but it's a long drive to them from Fort Lauderdale. :lol:

Must be a nice car! :thumb:

Must be a nice car! :thumb:

Wifey B: My dream car, although I wasn't happy at all to find out what criminal cheaters they were. Now nearly 5 years old and only around 17,400 nautical miles on it. We don't put many miles on our cars. We have three, all five years old and all with around 20,000 statute miles. Cars don't excite me like boats do. :)

Wifey B: My dream car, although I wasn't happy at all to find out what criminal cheaters they were. Now nearly 5 years old and only around 17,400 nautical miles on it. We don't put many miles on our cars. We have three, all five years old and all with around 20,000 statute miles. Cars don't excite me like boats do. :)

WB - If you would... please explain the bolded portions. TY, Art

WB - If you would... please explain the bolded portions. TY, Art

Wifey B: Porsche/VW diesel cheaters, circumventing pollution laws. :mad:

We have 3 cars we use for personal use, 3 different brands, and all three of them are just under 5 years old and around 20,000 miles on each. Only reason they have that many is we make three to four trips a year to NC and SC. Up to the Lake Norman area, across to Myrtle Beach and back home. We put more miles each year on boats than we do on cars, although down on boat miles this year as the boating on the TN river isn't a lot of miles. Only 8,000 nm year to date. :)

You want fast, fly 10 feet above the boat doing 90 at 200 knts, zoom climb to 1000 feet and barrel roll.

Trying to hit smugglers in the head with landing gear was also kinda fun. :).....took more skill....

In a helicopter?

Wifey B: Porsche/VW diesel cheaters, circumventing pollution laws. :mad:

We have 3 cars we use for personal use, 3 different brands, and all three of them are just under 5 years old and around 20,000 miles on each. Only reason they have that many is we make three to four trips a year to NC and SC. Up to the Lake Norman area, across to Myrtle Beach and back home. We put more miles each year on boats than we do on cars, although down on boat miles this year as the boating on the TN river isn't a lot of miles. Only 8,000 nm year to date. :)

Oh. TY!

In a helicopter?

Naah, probably more like this Falcon :D

DAL_090716_04.jpg

Wifey B: And to me planes are just a necessary evil as a way to travel long distances quickly. No appeal. No desire to pilot. I don't besmirch those who like them, just not my thing. :)

And I know nothing about them. :eek:

"Porsche/VW diesel cheaters, circumventing pollution laws"

But they did keep their customers happy , rather than the Air Police.

In a helicopter?

Nah....by the 80s the USCG pilots were starting to be under too much scrutiny.

I would fly with other government agencies that were full of Vietnam war retreads.

One guy had the use of a fairly high performance Piper twin...not sure who he scared more....me or the bad guys. But you know if they ducked...you were close...if they jumped overboard you did it right....:D

I did love the one bust in the Glades where a bad guy took off on a 3 wheeler down some dike and the Customs helo bumped him into the canal when he was zooming down the road. :eek:

I know....its sll fun and games till someone gets hurt.....;)

Last edited:
"Porsche/VW diesel cheaters, circumventing pollution laws"

But they did keep their customers happy , rather than the Air Police.

Wifey B: Didn't keep me happy. I don't like doing business with criminals. I still love my car but it sure took the joy of ownership away for a while. I was ashamed to say I had one. Just real glad I didn't have diesel. :banghead:

Lots of testosterone and estrogen is this thread! :rofl:

For some, just adrenalin, and just doing what they like or work or both.

Just idle chatter bout thangs that don't really matter - too much, that is!

Well... you may be a good girl on traffic filled roads in general... but, having read many of your posts... I'm not believing for a minute - that same "good girl" exists on roads that are vacant of traffic! :lol:

Sooo.... I am a good boy on roads when there is traffic... but... when no traffic exists, my 1967 Wildcat's recently professionally rebuilt factory stat 430 cid, 360 hp. 500 ft. lbs. torque muscle car engine loves to be let loose and simply GO!!! :thumb:

149 mph was top end original mfg stats for my car stemming from road tests during year of production. From a few relatively mild engine and exhaust modifications I believe she has about 25 added hp. Meaning she now has about 385 hp. total. I've buried the speedometer a few times on desolate flat roads. Though I didn't dare hit GM's mfg stats of 149 mph top end. Know for sure I had her in the high 130's!

It was never possible to really run a car out very long or safely if you had one that could reasonably perform. Around here we run the cars at National speedway, Limerock or Bridgehampton (until it was closed). You get a completely different feel when you are at a track where there is no reason to hold back and the cars there make yours look sloooow. It is very fun and it is very humbling to see what a car can do when really prepared for going fast.

Alligator Alley at 0200 hrs. Let it fly.

Gee, Port, that boat looks great. Hard to believe it is now 6 years since we went on the venture with you building that from scratch.:thumb:
+1 :iagree:

You'll never get a straighter road with practically no traffic, just watch out for gators heading across the road. A friend of mine hit one in his Vett, he lived but totaled the vehicle. It was a mess. :banghead:

I had Two audi/vw diesels turned in. Although the settlement was reasonable- a judgemade them do it. Less convinced VW/Audi would have done so on their own accord.

I find peace, happiness, and delight at all speeds but enjoy my surroundings the most at < 10 knots.

It was never possible to really run a car out very long or safely if you had one that could reasonably perform. Around here we run the cars at National speedway, Limerock or Bridgehampton (until it was closed). You get a completely different feel when you are at a track where there is no reason to hold back and the cars there make yours look sloooow. It is very fun and it is very humbling to see what a car can do when really prepared for going fast.

Of course my 50 yr. [1/2 Century] old, 4,500 lb., 1967 "Luxo-Muscle-Car" Wildcat is slow compared others....

However - This land-yacht-beast with power everything, AC and comfortable seating for six can do 0 to 60 in in just under 6 seconds... with 1/8 tank gas and spare tire removed from tank. Also, acceleration in passing gear from 50 to 75 mph is impressive while she keeps roaring ever more powerfully to and including past 100 + mph.

As to where I take my old Cat baby through her paces: We Live in the Country! There is a nearly two mile mile straight stretch of really good condition two lane pavement that is just three minutes from our house. We most often drive on it to get to home or when leaving our area. Often there is not one vehicle in sight. Matter of fact, for the purpose of street rod races, there is a designated 1/4 mile marker and 1 mile marker on that straight, level, good condition stretch of road. Like I said - "We Live in the Country!" :D :thumb:

We do greatly enjoy our 50 yr. [1/2 Century] old, 4,500 lb., 1967 "Luxo-Muscle-Car" Wildcat!! Often "Sunday Drives" are taken. Although others exist... There are none others we've seen on the road since purchasing her in 1998. She's a Very recognizable "Class Act Automobile"!

Heck, had my dads stock 1970 or so Delta 88 with the 455 in it to 109 mph. It was still accelerating with a full tank of gas an 5 big guys in it.

Of course my 50 yr. [1/2 Century] old, 4,500 lb., 1967 "Luxo-Muscle-Car" Wildcat is slow compared others....

However - This land-yacht-beast with power everything, AC and comfortable seating for six can do 0 to 60 in in just under 6 seconds... with 1/8 tank gas and spare tire removed from tank. Also, acceleration in passing gear from 50 to 75 mph is impressive while she keeps roaring ever more powerfully to and including past 100 + mph.

As to where I take my old Cat baby through her paces: We Live in the Country! There is a nearly two mile mile straight stretch of really good condition two lane pavement that is just three minutes from our house. We most often drive on it to get to home or when leaving our area. Often there is not one vehicle in sight. Matter of fact, for the purpose of street rod races, there is a designated 1/4 mile marker and 1 mile marker on that straight, level, good condition stretch of road. Like I said - "We Live in the Country!" :D :thumb:

We do greatly enjoy our 50 yr. [1/2 Century] old, 4,500 lb., 1967 "Luxo-Muscle-Car" Wildcat!! Often "Sunday Drives" are taken. Although others exist... There are none others we've seen on the road since purchasing her in 1998. She's a Very recognizable "Class Act Automobile"!

Yes - I agree - I used to drag on rural streets when younger with various 70's cars like my 67 GTO. I still like a lot about those types of cars but they are woefully slow, cannot turn and have no stopping power compared to any newer cars.
When you do hit the race course with anything like those that I owned they show their limitations within 30 seconds and parts begin to fail before the 3rd run or the 3rd lap dependent upon your event. We began to build more purpose build cars some of which were homebuilt vehicles and they ran much faster but still could not compare to 'factory' sponsored vehicles. The only point I make is that even my 'fast' cars some purpose built with 700+ hp were not really competitive to folks that take racing seriously. But it was and is very fun to run at speeds much higher that most might think and have it all legal.

Speed alone isn't all that much fun to me. Every time I fly on a commercial airliner I am traveling much faster than on any car I've been in. Being a cautious soul, I start to think about all the potential pitfalls of driving very fast in a car. Hitting an alligator at speed is just one example. Mechanical failure is another. Bad things happen at high speed if something breaks.

However, I've done solo road trips where I have maintained an average of 100mph for hours at a time. Not terribly smart, but I didn't feel comfortable pushing it any further even though my car would have been perfectly happy with it.

What I found I really enjoyed was racing my car in Autocross. There you can drive the car to the absolute limit and beyond. The limit is this case is the limit of its ability to accelerate, brake, and decelerate and my ability to control it under those conditions. If I exceed that limit badly I lose control of the car and spin. Typically no damage other than cone rash. Top speeds depending on the course are typically those that you hit on the freeway, 60-80mph. It is also fun because it is competition. You are driving against others in a system which tries to minimize the differences in the cars so that you are competing based on driving skill.

Dang that is fun.

You'll never get a straighter road with practically no traffic, just watch out for gators heading across the road. A friend of mine hit one in his Vett, he lived but totaled the vehicle. It was a mess. :banghead:

They don't call it Alligator Alley for nothing... remember the "olden days" when it was a two lane road with shoulders that sloped immediately down into swamp. More dangerous to drive but no cops as they had nowhere to sit. Although nice and wide these days the alligators are still there.

They don't call it Alligator Alley for nothing... remember the "olden days" when it was a two lane road with shoulders that sloped immediately down into swamp. More dangerous to drive but no cops as they had nowhere to sit. Although nice and wide these days the alligators are still there.

Raccoon, Squirrel, Deer, Skunk, Coyote, Bobcat, Mountain Lion - Here! And, in that order of general appearance. See one Mountain Lion. Two Bobcat. A few Coyote. Many, many of the rest!

In general the time most of them will pass the road is dusk. Mid day very very seldom. Mid night not too much. Early morning seldom.

Speed is relative. Relative to how much money you have. I'll go slow.

Or worse, how much you can solicit. A few years ago, I was asked to go deep sea fishing by a friend. He said we would have to chip in for fuel. I said, of course, that's utterly reasonable. We get to the boat, a sixty foot sport fish.

We then proceed to blast out of the harbor, through the inlet, swamping everything in our way like we going on a critical rescue where lives were at stake, as we charge to our first fishing spot, ten miles or so offshore. The rest of the day consists of fishing for approximately 30 minutes, then blasting full throttle to the next fishing spot, over and over again, doing at least 30 or 35 knots. One of the men has his sixteen year old son on board. He is vomiting over the gunnels pretty much non-stop the entire trip. (If he ever gets on a boat of his own volition again, I would be surprised).

We quickly catch our limit of snapper, (two apiece), at which time I figure we are in for a leisurely cruise back to the slip, sipping on beers and savoring the just completed fishing experience. I mean, that's would I would do if I were driving.

Wrong!!! We immediately go full throttle back home, again blasting through the inlet, washing smaller boats who dare to not flee, ashore until we thankfully pull up to the pier and refuel. I then discover that my portion of the fuel cost for this morning of fun is $200. I do the math, $100 per fish. Then I find it is customary on this boat to give the owner half of the catch. Okay. $200 per fish.

As I walk away, I am asked, "We will probably go out tomorrow. Would you like us to call you?"

I replied, "No thank you. I couldn't stand that much fun two days in a row."

Should have reported him for running an illegal charter unless he was a licensed captain and the boat met whatever charter requirements that were necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom