Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #141
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Locked prop creates a bit more drag than free wheeling prop."

Depends , multiple experiments have given multiple results.

A locked prop is easier on the tranny , shaft bearings and stuffing box .
No doubt!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #142
Guru

City: LI or Fla
This is actually not true, spoke to the manufacturer and their displacement speed dripless seals don't even have a cooling line to them, they are perfectly fine, so a water cooled one for planing boats are fine if displacement and engine off (running on one), I've had that situation a couple of times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Melted "dripless" shaft seal will likely happen if you have dripless shaft seals. I stopped using those many years ago due to failure potential of sinking boat as well as no free wheeling without heat damage when there was no functioning crossover hose... which, when crossover is installed, creates another "dripless seal" failure point.

SHAFT LOK INC. Since 1979: http://www.shaftlok.com/
Marine Shaft Lock, Boat Propeller Shaft Brake. “Shaft Lok”keeps propeller shaft from turning. For boat owners with Twin Engines slow down and save BIG on Diesel.
Email:Shaftlok.ix.netcom.com
New Berlin, Wisconsin 53151 USA
Contact Anne:
Phone: 262 786 6800

For packing a standard stuffing box... you might want to visit:

Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #143
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If I was in a hurry, I'd travel by automobile or airplane.
That is my stock answer when people ask me about travelling in a trawler. When thinking about a trip or cruise, I figure one hour by car equals one day by boat (my boat).
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #144
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Rode one horse power means of transportation today. Walk at 4 mph, slow trot around 10 mph and gallop around 25 or 30 mph. Rode about 3 hours. Fuel required was some hay, a couple of carrots, some feed and about 2 gallons of water. Very efficient.
What was the 'exaust' factor? Any condensation from the 'tailpipe'?
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #145
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A locked (stopped) prop on an airplane is considerably less drag than one freewheeling.

But I've never heard that for boats. Density and compressibility may make it different I suspect.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #146
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
My experience on sailboats was the the prop was always locked when underway by putting the motor in gear. Doesn't work with hydraulic transmissions like the VD though.

I seem to remember seeing dedicated shaft locks on some racing sailboats and some had little windows in the hull to see that the feathering prop was aligned up and down and not fouled. Before any racing it was someone's job to crawl under the cockpit and check it.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #147
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
What was the 'exhaust' factor? Any condensation from the 'tailpipe'?
Wifey B: Corrected your spelling. Long move on from the 1 hp. Yesterday and today were 7200 hp. Could not possibly have gone from Barcelona to Valencia to Palma to Ibiza to Barcelona with 1 hp or even 100 hp all in two days. Covered about 560 nm in two days. Docking now. Good thing sunset here is around 9:30, sunrise around 6:15. An hour and a half more daylight than home. Omg it was fun.

I know some here have traveled the world, but this is new to me. One day a boat of our own to this area but for now we just had two marvelous days. The more I see of Spain, the more I fall in love with it. I'd read, I'd seen pictures, but nothing does it justice. Makes me realize too how little of the world I've seen and how much there is still to go. Enough for many lifetimes. And the people, everywhere so nice.

And the boat we were on came really close to my dream boat. It was a 119' AB. WOT was 47 knots and cruise around 35 knots. Seas were perfect. Well, the Belearic Sea to be specific. I'm just a kid with my eyes and mouth open in amazement. I just got a taste of it this time. And the wonderful thing is now I dream of returning here even more and then seeing the rest of Europe.

Sorry, I'm just not an 8 knot girl.

Did get sort of freaked out as we were leaving Ibiza. They explained to me and then I looked it up, a four hour party on a catamaran with 200 or more people. So they all go out on a catamaran and get drunk, then return and have free admission to all the clubs. Am I the only one who sees this as a bad idea? Something tells me this makes Bachelor in Paradise seem like a kids' show.

Name:  ibiza-boat-party-all-inclusive-in-ibiza-204753.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  40.6 KB

We must be old because we went to the old town, the Necropolis, the museums, the cathedrals, and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. This was what we went to see.

Name:  109019_Spain_Ibiza_Cathedral_iStock_000011103797XSmall.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  20.3 KB

Yes, they're just photos I found, not ones I took.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #148
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Wifey B: Corrected your spelling. Long move on from the 1 hp. Yesterday and today were 7200 hp. Could not possibly have gone from Barcelona to Valencia to Palma to Ibiza to Barcelona with 1 hp or even 100 hp all in two days. Covered about 560 nm in two days.

Hmmm... your tour of Spain didn't take much longer than the lunch I had in Barcelona one time.

Touring at Mach IV!

My eyes don't work that fast...

-Chris
Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #149
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Hmmm... your tour of Spain didn't take much longer than the lunch I had in Barcelona one time.

Touring at Mach IV!

My eyes don't work that fast...

-Chris
Wifey B: We just have the week this trip, mostly on land, but two days on the water. Just enough to see enough to know what we really want to see next time or the time after, enough to get the flavor and feel. We've seen a bit of the cities, driven through the country side. We've spent days on an unbelievable estate. Our best friend and CEO's mother was born here and we get to see where she grew up. We even got to meet her nanny. It's the mother's parents who live here and invited us and it was only fitting we came to visit them since my hubby mercilessly badgered them into their first real visit to FL which they've now returned to several times. Just now about to eat dinner though at nearly 10:00 pm. They eat late here but not as late as we are tonight.

Next time every port will get several days. And then Spain is just a start.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #150
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
WifeyB

Sounds like a great trip, well except for the zoo on the catamaran, Spain has great food and wine but going too fast you miss the relaxing Spanish life style.

Are you planning on shipping your boat over for the season or will you rent a yacht?

Enjoy.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #151
Art
Guru

Photos Wifey... Photos... Please!!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #152
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
WifeyB

Sounds like a great trip, well except for the zoo on the catamaran, Spain has great food and wine but going too fast you miss the relaxing Spanish life style.

Are you planning on shipping your boat over for the season or will you rent a yacht?

Enjoy.
Wifey B: We have no idea. Our plans to this point have been to cross and then keep a boat there a couple of years. Plans could change and become buying a boat there or something. Could ship but one day we do want to cross the Atlantic. We could charter but I don't think we'll choose that option.

We've enjoyed the relaxing Spanish life style. We've been relaxed. We never feel the speed at which we're moving that others observe. Today has been leisurely, time ashore in each location we've been to. A fast boat made time for other things possible. Traveling on the water is always relaxing, just wish we could have taken the helm. I so wanted to drive that boat.

We figure just the Mediterranean countries would take two seasons because of Schengen limitations. 90 days in a Schengen country, then 90 out routine.

Yeah the catamaran think was freaky. I don't mind at all being on a boat with my minimally clad friends, but being crowded onto a boat with a lot of stranger bikini's and trunks and drunks, no thanks.

We've enjoyed the great food. Haven't had any of the wine yet. Don't know if we will one evening or not. Bottled water, flat, please. That's our standard order and they just stare in shock.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #153
Guru

WifeyB

Well at least your suffering through all this. LOL
Old 06-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #154
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Uh-oh...."Spain is just a start." I suspect a round of world exploration is on the menu.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
WifeyB

Well at least your suffering through all this. LOL
Wifey B: Yes, we're out in the garden, strolling some, relaxing. Waiting to go to bed. Turning down dessert offered. This place is unbelievable. The disappointment of the owner's life though is that neither his daughter nor his granddaughter wants to return to live here. His daughter did for a while after her husband died but she wasn't happy, just not what she wants.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #156
Guru

Many times kids want to strike off on their own without the influence of their parents, other kids want to live with their parents until the kids reach SS age.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #157

City: Toledo, OH
Hi,

I went from a Baja 322 to a Mainship 34 pilot. Which translates to going 70mph to 16mph. This is my first season with the new boat. Do I miss the speed, sure, but I had 12 people aboard for a short cruise last week and we could carry on a conversation and didn't need sippy cups for our drinks.
mcaudell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #158
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaudell View Post
Hi,

I went from a Baja 322 to a Mainship 34 pilot. Which translates to going 70mph to 16mph. This is my first season with the new boat. Do I miss the speed, sure, but I had 12 people aboard for a short cruise last week and we could carry on a conversation and didn't need sippy cups for our drinks.
Oh for the days when Bucyrus, Ohio was brimming with the competition between Baja and Checkmate. I miss seeing the water filled with them. Those were the days. We are going to have a fast boat again one of these days.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #159
Art
Guru

Quote:
Oh for the days when Bucyrus, Ohio was brimming with the competition between Baja and Checkmate. I miss seeing the water filled with them. Those were the days. We are going to have a fast boat again one of these days.
My buddy recently sold his <100 mph 27' Fountain. That baby was fun! Drank gasoline like I eat chocolate... too damn fast and often way too much!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #160
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Drank gasoline like I eat chocolate... too damn fast and often way too much!
LOL! Man Art, I am going to steal this one!

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote