Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #121
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I can enjoy things quickly and with speed and give me more time to do other things as well. My wife isn't terribly satisfied with that however.
Wifey B: I don't like not having a plotter or radar or anything I can look at to see where I am and the traffic around and the direction and check things out. So, I just have to sit and do nothing. Well, not nothing. I do find things to do. We're supposed to try to go to sleep right after dinner, but I don't know if I can. Need to because there is no tonight, tonight.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #122
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I know I'm a little late joining this party and to be fair I do have a boat that cruises about 17 knots. I prefer this because if I have to get someplace fast because of weather or other I have the ability to do so. We go to the Bahamas cruising at 17-18 knots and once there usually go at 7-8 knots. Once we were almost to Georgetown when a hurricane made a turn and headed to where we were, we left early in the morning, stopped in Nassau for fuel and continued on to Chub, next morning we left for Miami. Speed was a wonderful thing to have on that trip.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #123
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
My old Viking will still do it's advertised 27 k. At that rate, it's burning fuel like a DC-3. 13-14 k is a comfortable "cruising" speed if you don't care about fuel burn.

Normally - trawler speed (7-8k). Able to sneak up on wildlife and hold a low decibel conversation, while sipping fuel. If I had a little more rudder surface, it would be perfect all the time. As it is, as long as I don't have a following sea, we do trawler speed.

Quoting (I think) from an old Greyhound ad - "Getting there is half the fun." Or more.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #124
Guru

Wifey B: Rode one horse power means of transportation today. Walk at 4 mph, slow trot around 10 mph and gallop around 25 or 30 mph. Rode about 3 hours. Fuel required was some hay, a couple of carrots, some feed and about 2 gallons of water. Very efficient.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #125
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Rode one horse power means of transportation today. Walk at 4 mph, slow trot around 10 mph and gallop around 25 or 30 mph. Rode about 3 hours. Fuel required was some hay, a couple of carrots, some feed and about 2 gallons of water. Very efficient.
Yes, but the labor maintenance costs or personal hours, is exponentially greater than most boat engines.....and then there's mucking out the stall. Like so many things, better to rent than to own.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #126
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
So, where are we? I am leaning towards a semi-displacement, with a good sized ER. I want 2 heads, preferably separate standup showers in each, but I would compromise with only one separate standup shower. This is the set up we currently have on our boat and it works fine, even when we have guests overnighting. I would prefer a raised pilot house, with side doors for easy exit to assist with lines when needed. We want an island master bed, something we don't have now. Other considerations - one or two engines? I am not a fan of an aft cabin where the cockpit is raised. I like the cockpit at water level, with easy access to the swim platform. Well, where do I go from here? What boats should I be researching? I am thinking 43 to 50', and controlling price with age of boat. Price is kind of up in the air, but I would think at least $300k, with room to go up if I fall in love with the perfect boat, a Unicorn.

Thanks again for all the input.

Jeff

You can get everything on your list in a Cheoy Lee trawler. The original ocean going trawlers. But they are scarce as hens teeth.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #127
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Yes, but the labor maintenance costs or personal hours, is exponentially greater than most boat engines.....and then there's mucking out the stall. Like so many things, better to rent than to own.

Ted
Wifey B: Or just ride at the grandparents of a friends home in Spain. They have acres and acres and stables and pastures. We have city sized lots in FLL.

Tomorrow we get out on the water. Never been on the Med.

Only two days on the water. Boat on water has 7200 hp.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #128
Guru

It's the exhaust that worries me. Seinfeld had an episode with Kamer driving a handsome cab in NY.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #129
Veteran Member

City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Per factory input, our Borg Warner Velvet Drive trany can withstand free wheel rotation. In addition to keeping it at slow speed for sake of the trany I also switch engines running time about every 30 to 45 minutes. Can't be too careful IMO.

Check with your trany mfg to see if free wheeling in OK.
I never thought about the transmission when running on one engine. I guess I better look into this now. But, I was always concerned about free wheeling melting the shaft seal. Especially if you don't have a crossover hose between your port and starboard shaft seals, the spinning shaft will burn up your ahaft seal without having the water to cool it down.
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #130
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
I never thought about the transmission when running on one engine. I guess I better look into this now. But, I was always concerned about free wheeling melting the shaft seal. Especially if you don't have a crossover hose between your port and starboard shaft seals, the spinning shaft will burn up your ahaft seal without having the water to cool it down.
Melted "dripless" shaft seal will likely happen if you have dripless shaft seals. I stopped using those many years ago due to failure potential of sinking boat as well as no free wheeling without heat damage when there was no functioning crossover hose... which, when crossover is installed, creates another "dripless seal" failure point.

You can always lock tight the shaft from non running engine. Locked prop creates a bit more drag than free wheeling prop. Also, will take a bit of time/effort to lock the shaft so it can't get loose - plenty of inventive options to accomplish that. You might be lucky and invent a simple, quick action, fool proof and affordable "lock-it-tight" shaft binder that can be patented and sells like crazy! Only one I've read about costs a bit, some effort to install.

SHAFT LOK INC. Since 1979: http://www.shaftlok.com/
Marine Shaft Lock, Boat Propeller Shaft Brake. “Shaft Lok”keeps propeller shaft from turning. For boat owners with Twin Engines slow down and save BIG on Diesel.
Email:Shaftlok.ix.netcom.com
New Berlin, Wisconsin 53151 USA
Contact Anne:
Phone: 262 786 6800

For packing a standard stuffing box... you might want to visit:

Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #131
Veteran Member

City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I agree that when the engineers converted actual horse power to engines, they underestimated the efficiency of a well taken care of horse!
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #132
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Can you just put the transmission in gear? Surely the compression will keep the prop from turning.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #133
Guru

I needed to lock the shaft one and used a large vice grip to lock down on a two inch sharft and tied it off with some 1/4 lines. Did over 200 mikes with no problems. Easy fix.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #134
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Going slow

I love cruising at 7 or 8 knots, much more enjoyable, and the boat is "liveable" while cruising.

However, I can only do that alone or with buddies. When "Admiral" is aboard, its 16-17 knots, she want to get there!
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #135
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
It's the exhaust that worries me. Seinfeld had an episode with Kamer driving a handsome cab in NY.
The exhaust was a problem when he fed the horse Beefaroni IIRC
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #136
Guru

Howard

Really? Your going to blame the Beefaroni? LMAO
Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #137
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The Admiral has a great saying: In a go-fast boat you have to hurry to get where you're going; in our boat, we're already where we're going.
'Tip of the hat' to your Admiral. An outstanding observation and one which I intend to abscond.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #138
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
'Tip of the hat' to your Admiral. An outstanding observation and one which I intend to abscond.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 AM   #139
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Art, "appropriate", in one of its meanings, would be more, well, appropriate, than abscond. But as a true grammarian,Al resisted adding "with" after "abscond", which might have worked but would offend by ending the sentence with a preposition...
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 AM   #140
FF
Guru

"Locked prop creates a bit more drag than free wheeling prop."

Depends , multiple experiments have given multiple results.

A locked prop is easier on the tranny , shaft bearings and stuffing box .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote