Old 07-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #241
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
What if you are sitting in the marina bar one day and mention to friends that you'd love to go fishing tomorrow, but you can't afford the gas. Then a friend pipes up and says "We'd like to go fishing too, how about we all go together and split the fuel?". Is that legal if you hold a captains ticket and its your own boat? How about if you don't have any licenses at all?

Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #242
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
What if you are sitting in the marina bar one day and mention to friends that you'd love to go fishing tomorrow, but you can't afford the gas. Then a friend pipes up and says "We'd like to go fishing too, how about we all go together and split the fuel?". Is that legal if you hold a captains ticket and its your own boat? How about if you don't have any licenses at all?
I would consider that legal, but some would not. The problem is that paying was a requirement to go, so does it remain voluntary?

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #243
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would interpret that as frieds having fun whether the owner is a licensed captain or not.

Now if at the bar and said aloud,and the discussion started up with strangers....gray in my book ...if all they did was buy the gas. Personally, I would lean towards it being outside the intent of the law.

A big part of it is.... do the people boarding the boat have reasonable information or expectation of the captain's abilities?

My question to the USCG about whether a person needs a license to run a boat for pay, when hired by the owner and the passengers are just family and friends was ducked for years. What. I did get eas a squeaky no as the family and friends were not oaing passengers. They put their trust in the owner to pick a good person to drive and the pay is really secondary.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #244
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
What if a group wanting to use my boat rent the boat from me, the boat owner. And, then at some point, because I am aboard when they leave the dock in my rented boat they simply ask me to pilot my own boat that they rented with me aboard... even if I have no captain's license.

Being that they are boat renters they too could captain the boat if they wanted.

Additionally, I could have a clause in the boat rental contract where it is mandatory that I be aboard if the boat is to leave the dock. Not necessarily acting as captain or not acting as captain mind you... just that for the rented boat to leave the dock I must be aboard my rented boat.

Then it seems that this legal boat rental supersedes the need for me having a captain's license as the boat renters would have paid me a rental cost only for the boat itself. Then while I'm mandatorily [per boat rental contract]aboard the boat they may ask me if I would captain my own boat for no pay as a captain.

What say ya??!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #245
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
What if a group wanting to use my boat rent the boat from me, the boat owner. And, then at some point, because I am aboard when they leave the dock in my rented boat they simply ask me to pilot my own boat that they rented with me aboard... even if I have no captain's license.

Being that they are boat renters they too could captain the boat if they wanted.

Additionally, I could have a clause in the boat rental contract where it is mandatory that I be aboard if the boat is to leave the dock. Not necessarily acting as captain or not acting as captain mind you... just that for the rented boat to leave the dock I must be aboard my rented boat.

Then it seems that this legal boat rental supersedes the need for me having a captain's license as the boat renters would have paid me a rental cost only for the boat itself. Then while I'm mandatorily [per boat rental contract]aboard the boat they may ask me if I would captain my own boat for no pay as a captain.

What say ya??!!
No. The minute you captained it, you became a charter. This one is very clear and discussed on a lot of CG published documents.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #246
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

What say ya??!!

Do you have insurance that covers you renting the boat?
Do you have your rental assigned to a valid business ID?
Have you been inspected as a rental boat?

All are required where we are.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #247
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Do you have insurance that covers you renting the boat?
Do you have your rental assigned to a valid business ID?
Have you been inspected as a rental boat?

All are required where we are.
All are required where we are.[/QUOTE]

That post I placed is just a premise.

Yes... needed increments for renting a boat would be covered.

According to # 245 makes it seam that my premise would not be thought well of in court of law.

Not really a big concern of mine because I'd not bother to do that anyway!

I do love to make premise on things though!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #248
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
We can play the "what if" game forever. If your involved in any situation that may result in a law suit you will the best maritime attorney you can find, not your regular attorney no matter how hood he may be but one who specializes in maritime law which is very complicated and has its own nuances. I have a good friend who does this for a living and some of his stories are really odd and don't make sense to most of us. Oh, and gave plenty of money because he is very well paid.
Bigsfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #249
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2geer View Post
Briefly saw 13+ knots SOG coming out of the Old Port in Montreal last week with the monster current running up there now. After that experience, I felt quite comfortable landing back at 7+ . We were passed by numerous express cruisers, fishing boats and even a few people on bicycles (Chambly Canal). My wife and I enjoy the slow boat and wouldn't have it any other way.

Dave Geer
M/V Stout kk42-087
Just east of Montreal the current increases in what I believe are called the Richelieu Rapids. With minimum RPMs the Gps told me we were going 14.6 kts. I felt I was out of control and was not very happy.

Different with trawler I guess. I used to have runabout (twin engine jet boat) that did 50 mph.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #250
Guru

If a guest onboard offers to contribute to fuel I usually say " costs no more for fuel with 4 or 6 onboard than 2"
But, I do appreciate efforts some guests make with food and drinks contributions. We had one guest for a weekend who virtually victualed the boat for the weekend, too generous, but appreciated.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #251
Veteran Member

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
It will be a new world, but not painful. I have been cruising long distances in a sailboat for years on the Great Lakes at 6.5 knots hull speed, usually less than that while motoring or sailing. Even so, you still get there. Now I have a GB32, just bought it and look forward to the fact that I will go steadily at 6.5 knots, not have to tack any, nor raise and lower sails. On long stretches, you sit on the deck with your e-reader, watch a movie on your electronic device, or even better enjoy the clouds. Somehow, 50 miles seems to go by in a blink. Main thing is to plan your trips, get up early so you do not get caught anchoring after dark, and know the charting of where you will pull in by heart. You will love it.
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #252
Veteran Member

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Go for it. Just plan your trips so you get to anchorages before nightfall. In the meantime, reading, watching a movie on your device, or whatever will make the trip go by in a blink.
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #253

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
........... If I was in a hurry, I'd travel by automobile or airplane.
Exactly. I have said that same thing many times.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #254
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandbanksbayfield View Post
It will be a new world, but not painful. I have been cruising long distances in a sailboat for years on the Great Lakes at 6.5 knots hull speed, usually less than that while motoring or sailing. Even so, you still get there. Now I have a GB32, just bought it and look forward to the fact that I will go steadily at 6.5 knots, not have to tack any, nor raise and lower sails. On long stretches, you sit on the deck with your e-reader, watch a movie on your electronic device, or even better enjoy the clouds. Somehow, 50 miles seems to go by in a blink. Main thing is to plan your trips, get up early so you do not get caught anchoring after dark, and know the charting of where you will pull in by heart. You will love it.
While you're lounging during cruise... I hope someone acts as spotter. AP is so person at helm does not need to steer. AP was not intended so all visuals stop for extended periods. At least a spotter should be on duty; preferably at helm per chance abrupt action[s] become needed.

Just sayen!
Old 01-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #255
FF
Guru

"With minimum RPMs the Gps told me we were going 14.6 kts. I felt I was out of control and was not very happy."

That "minimum RPMs " is scary , most boats require speed thru the water to stay under control.

20K is not more dangerous than 14.6 , if you are in control.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #256

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Back to Al's original question

Quote:
When fishing, the unspoken standard is to split fuel, bait and launch costs evenly. It probably grew out of friends going out together in smaller boats who want to pitch in on the expenses so the boat owner doesn't absorb all the costs. I never quote a figure, but if pressed, will share the day's fuel cost. At $10 per hr, it rarely exceeds $50 total for the day. If someone brings lots of great bait, I won't take their offered fuel $$.

Do folks in other parts of the world see it the same? __________________
Al
Yes, Al. that's the way it has always been here in St. Petersburg, among me and my fishing friends.

(This thread has seen more drift than a day spent drift-fishing the flats.)
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #257
Veteran Member

City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
I believe without a commercial license it is illegal to take money from friends fishing on your boat.
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #258
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
I believe without a commercial license it is illegal to take money from friends fishing on your boat.

My understanding is that sharing the cost of fuel with your friends is not a problem. Making a profit from your friends by fishing would be a problem.

As always, keep in mind that I know less than John Snow.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #259
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My understanding is that sharing the cost of fuel with your friends is not a problem. Making a profit from your friends by fishing would be a problem.

As always, keep in mind that I know less than John Snow.
Friendly cash transfers... with no paper work... verbally termed "gifts"... is not a problem. IMO
Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #260

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
One aspect of power boats I never see discussed here is wake making. As former cruisers in a 28' Yawl which our outboard 9.9hp auxiliary would push at 6-kts, we are very pleased with our Albin-25 which will steam along at 8 knots all day while kicking up only a very mild wake and while burning only a bit over 1/2 gal/hour. What's not to like?

Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote