55ft steel trawler 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralsy

We have have expanded our search for a live aboard trawler beyond just looking at fibreglass and wooden trawlers to now include an interesting custom steel hulled trawler that is currently for sale.
I can find very few reviews or input about this kind of boat. Any thoughts out there? Thanks!

Attachments

• 55' PASSAGEMAKER LONG RANGE DISPLACEMENT CRUISER PACIFICA[31410].pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,194
I don’t know much about steel construction but it looks very nice.

I like the lines, the JD power, the dual stabilization. How is steel on the resale market where you are?

I like the lines, the JD power, the dual stabilization. How is steel on the resale market where you are?

Not really sure about the resale potential. I do know that this boat has been on the market for awhile. So obviously hasn't sold. But this could be due to the fact that it wasn't price correctly. I've heard that the apparent build price was between 2.5 and 3.0 million. The price now is around 1/3 of build price

If you can establish an exit strategy for your budget, most likely resale, I recommend looking at maintenance and insurance costs.

I know nothing about your used boat market. Steel resale seems very weak in North America, and acceptable to good in Europe. I’m not steering you away, just adding something to be aware of.

It sure looks like a boat worth closer review. We have one of those John Deere 4045s, and paravanes also. The JD is efficient and common, the paravanes a delight at anchor.

Speaking as a former fisherman, steel is my preferred material. I've seen steel boats that have grounded, pounded by waves, and come off with minor damage. A wood boat would have been toothpicks and fiberglass probably would have been beyond economic repair.
If you're planning on remote places and the reefs of the South Pacific, steel is what I'd pick. But just using it for a liveaboard, local cruising, steel is more maintenance (depending on the paint system) than fiberglass.

If you can establish an exit strategy for your budget, most likely resale, I recommend looking at maintenance and insurance costs.

I know nothing about your used boat market. Steel resale seems very weak in North America, and acceptable to good in Europe. I’m not steering you away, just adding something to be aware of.

It sure looks like a boat worth closer review. We have one of those John Deere 4045s, and paravanes also. The JD is efficient and common, the paravanes a delight at anchor.

Will definitely look at insurance and maintenance. Everything is relatively newish and has very low usage, which could be both good and bad. Maintenance will be rust issues on the inside and normal maintenance on equipment. Paint job is important. Absolutely no rust runs to any outside surfaces. Inside I'm not sure but looks relatively clean where i could see. No visable insulation on inside hull except in chain locker but like I've mentioned I need to further inspect these areas. A good survey will hopefully find any issues. Thanks for your comments. ?

We have have expanded our search for a live aboard trawler beyond just looking at fibreglass and wooden trawlers to now include an interesting custom steel hulled trawler that is currently for sale.
I can find very few reviews or input about this kind of boat. Any thoughts out there? Thanks!

Have a look at some Selene yachts on boatsonline Au. Very good boats at very attractive prices

Have a look at some Selene yachts on boatsonline Au. Very good boats at very attractive prices

Yeah have seen them. The $445,000 has been for sale for ages and I wouldn't want it as too many problems and the $850,000 one won't come down in price and will probably go to the USA. Prices are great for USA buyers as the exchange rate makes it attractive to buy here. But for us Aussies the Selene are very expensive atm.

Question - is North America resale on steel boats weak because they are steel, or because they are often one-offs or very limited production runs? Europe has several production builders in steel so different market dynamic.

Here is a very good post about steel boat maintenance:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=703657&postcount=20

Our prior boat was a 42' fiberglass sail boat. I'm convinced that maintaining a steel boat isn't a lot different than maintaining a f/g boat. With steel, you just have to keep paint on her, which is a lot less work than repairing, waxing & polishing f/g. And, unlike fiberglass repairs, almost anybody can paint! The previous owner recommended going around the exterior once a month and taking care of any rust by simply grinding it out with a dremel, etc., putting a dab of rust converter (like Corroseal) on it then painting. Maybe an hour or two of work?? For marina dings, etc., our rub rail is made from 2" half pipe welded to the hull. If we rub against pilings hard enough to scrape paint off, a few swipes with a brush and all is well again. Bolting on a rubber or wooden rub rail would eliminate even that, but I've never really felt the need. For the bottom we have always used Ameron ABC-3 bottom paint. It is rated as a 5 year commercial ship paint and is a lot less expensive and more effective than your typical West Marine offerings. We typically haul and paint every 4 years. Each time we haul I feel like we could have gone at least another year! At haul-out, zincs are checked and if needed, new ones are welded on. Most yards have someone who can do simple welding so it's no big deal. Early on I thought about having bolts welded to the hull so I could change zincs underwater by just removing a nut/lock washer, but our zincs seem to last a very long time so I've never gotten around to that. Last month we just completed a top to bottom paint job where the overhead, deck house sides, topsides and bottom were aggressively sanded, a handful of rust spots ground to bare steel and prepped with inorganic zinc chromate primer, the entire boat painted with 2-part Bar-Rust 235 epoxy and then top coated with Amercoat 450 HSG urethane paint especially formulated for steel. Paint on a steel boat is typically rolled on so it's fast and easy. In 18 years, it's the first time we've done more than just partial painting where needed, but we decided it was time to do the entire boat so the next owner would have a "new" exterior and a new bottom! Hope this helps.

That post is from this thread:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/robt-beebe-49-10-passagemaker-steel-sale-40536.html

That thread contains discussion of steel vs fiberglass, etc.

That looks like a very nice boat, lots of nice features. I do know this boat has been on the market for quit a long time. With boat prices crashing right now the $850,000 seems high.
If you have researched the cost of owning such a vessel you know the present owner is facing those exact costs and has been for some time.

If it was me, (Of course it isn't, WAY out of my league) I would make the "ridiculous offer " and start from there.

pete

So boat prices are crashing? Can you point me to some of the post crash prices? I’m always looking around/dreaming of a bigger boat, but haven’t noticed prices crashing. Have seen some price adjustments of around 10% so far on a few boats I’ve looked at online, but don’t consider that a crash.

That looks like a very nice boat, lots of nice features. I do know this boat has been on the market for quit a long time. With boat prices crashing right now the $850,000 seems high.
If you have researched the cost of owning such a vessel you know the present owner is facing those exact costs and has been for some time

pete

So did you hear the "crashing market" news from a broker or a person that actually has data vs. trying to stimulate business?

HOLLYWOOD

The big yacht brokers (Yachtworld, etc) are making an effort to hold prices high, but there are commissioned salespeople involved with them. Ebay prices also seem to be high (As is usual) but private sellers seem to be becoming more realistic.

Talk to your marina owner about boats in his yard that are for sale, I think you will find some bargains.

pete

If pictures are current it looks like a great boat. I’ve cruised both steel and fiberglass boats and would consider:

Any places where you cannot access the steel? Boats also rust from the inside out due to salt water (anchor locker, leaks in machinery spaces, bilges, behind ballast) and due to condensation on the inside.

Is the hull insulated? What type and what is the coating system underneath the insulation?

Rust under wood. Teak decks are very nice but accessing rust underneath is not easy.

Maintaining to work boat quality is considerably easier than yacht quality.

Ask about the engine duty rating. A base 4045 is around 80 hp. Higher hp is gained by programming the ECU and and/or adding peripherals. Changes most likely lower the duty rating. Deere has M1-M5 ratings with reduced load/run-time recommendations as hp is increased. I currently have twin 6068TFM75’s, M1 rated at 150 hp, in a boat about the same size and displacement. Models are detailed in below brochure:

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/static/production.zmags/grT_pdf_82b4f4e6dbf67c63eda0cf697736c5df

A competent and comprehensive survey is critical.

Take a look at books about steel boat construction and maintenance.

Good luck!

The big yacht brokers (Yachtworld, etc) are making an effort to hold prices high, but there are commissioned salespeople involved with them. Ebay prices also seem to be high (As is usual) but private sellers seem to be becoming more realistic.

Talk to your marina owner about boats in his yard that are for sale, I think you will find some bargains.

pete

I believe that the full ecconomical effects of covid19 hasn't been seen yet. Here, most people are in a kind of holiday mood. It's when businesses are able too operate as usual and people can go about without tight restrictions again and when companies start reporting financially, then imo we'll see either panic selling or not. Boat list prices seem to be not far off where they were before the lockdown but my impression is that owners seem to be a little more flexible when it comes to offers, if they receive them.

Any places where you cannot access the steel? Boats also rust from the inside out due to salt water (anchor locker, leaks in machinery spaces, bilges, behind ballast) and due to condensation on the inside.

Agreed and don't I know it!

I owned a steel Burger. Great quality boat, right? Well down in the cabin area the over/under washer-dryer was in a closet but the unit could not fit through the door, so I could not get behind the unit. I even removed the molding and it would not fit. Crazy. Anyway, take a guess at the amount of corrosion in the steel hull plating underneath the unit. Shipyard cut the steel plate out of outside while I stood fire watch inside the entire time.

Agreed and don't I know it!

I owned a steel Burger. Great quality boat, right? Well down in the cabin area the over/under washer-dryer was in a closet but the unit could not fit through the door, so I could not get behind the unit. I even removed the molding and it would not fit. Crazy. Anyway, take a guess at the amount of corrosion in the steel hull plating underneath the unit. Shipyard cut the steel plate out of outside while I stood fire watch inside the entire time.

Definitely something I'll have to further investigate when i next inspect the vessel. Last / first time inspection was to quick and I didn't really know what to look for except the usual. I guess I was kind of blinded by the bling ?

And don't forget to look inside the deep crevices of the bilge. Two spots I always find trouble:

First at the packing gland(s) - there should be drip boxes with automatic pumps in them. Don't drain to the bilge.

Second is under the shower drain sump/pump. Screen clogs with hair. Water drips everywhere.

And as a bonus... of course the chain locker is a never ending source of trouble.

And don't forget to look inside the deep crevices of the bilge. Two spots I always find trouble:

First at the packing gland(s) - there should be drip boxes with automatic pumps in them. Don't drain to the bilge.

Second is under the shower drain sump/pump. Screen clogs with hair. Water drips everywhere.

And as a bonus... of course the chain locker is a never ending source of trouble.

Thanks for the heads Up. During our inspection in the engine room, I noticed about 1 - 2" fluid ( I think water but not sure if salt or fresh). Noticed that there was a garden variety hose and nozzle attached near the engine, so asumed they wash down the area with fresh water. See photos of the engine room on attachment (3rd last photo shows the hose / nozzle) looks like it's saltwater. Let me know if the attachment doesn't open.

Attachments

• ENGINE ROOM.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 169

Packing glands replaced with PSS dripless ones.

Pictures indicate a well laid out engine room with quality installation and in good condition.

Photos look good. Funny how they installed a spare engine [emoji846]

(Yes, I’m a “singles” guy)

Question - is North America resale on steel boats weak because they are steel, or because they are often one-offs or very limited production runs? Europe has several production builders in steel so different market dynamic.

I think both of your suggestions are possible. I have seen some very nice boats by Real Ships, Kristen, along with some more focused Benford and Buehler designs, languish on the market. The makes manufactured in Europe don’t sell quickly here in NA in most cases either. I don’t suspect there is anything wrong with the vessels.

Last edited:
Before you buy, inspection should include NDT testing to determine steel plate and weld integrity. Be sure you investigate and understand testing methods, technician certs and costs to complete the work.

The engine room pictures opened up perfectly on my "Apple"

That engine room is an absolute work of art!! Just beautiful!!

The entire boat is beautiful, the price is definitely right.

Just buy it already.

pete

What is extremely important is who was the builder. I would find out what yard actually constructed the boat.
7500 liters represents approximately 1900 gallons of fuel based on her 2700 nautical mile range and assuming there's approximately a 10 to 15% reserve you're achieving about 1.6 nautical miles per gallon at cruise. That is a little lean for a medium size passage maker. That being said their estimated cruising speed of eight knots if backed down to 7 - 6 1/2 would more than extend the nautical miles per gallon .
That being said if you can afford it – it’s not a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom