Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Member
 
City: Port Angels, WA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Rebecca Rose
Vessel Model: 1969 Grand Banks 32
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Southern Ocean is no charmer either.

The icebreaker I was on, lost the top 39 foot landing craft that was nestled with another that were lashed down 30 feet above the waterline...on the trip before mine. Thankfully my 4 crossings to Antarctica were fairly calm in comparison.

Only place on earth where the wind doesn't encounter land circling the globe. Another place where it gets ugly fast, and doesn't have to be record heights to be really ugly.

It is funny Boat, what fears can do and how different they can be.
What ships and years? I did trips to sea ice in the late 70's to the 90's on the Burton Island, Westwind, Glacier and Polar Sea and Star
__________________
Advertisement

spinoeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #22
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,799
Artic Winter West 83 Polar Star, Deep Freeze 84 Glacier, Arctic Summer East 85 Northwind, Arctic Winter West 86 Polar Sea. Not positive of the dates, but real close in calendar time.
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #23
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,212
I think the largest seas I have been in were around 30' in a good blow crossing the Gulf of Alaska between Unimak Pass and Cape Flattery. That's a good fair distance, especially with two barges in tow. I have also seen swells that large with no wind to speak of rolling in off the ocean towards WA, near Cape Flattery coming up the coast from Astoria, OR with a tow.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:07 AM   #24
Guru
 
City: Canaveral
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
We were going out of Sebastian inlet to do a night dive. Everything was going good till we got about 7 miles out.

What kind of diving are you doing 7 miles out of Sebastian? Sounds like you're reaching into the Gulf Stream. How deep is the bottom there?


(I used to live in Merritt Island. Pop still does)
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:13 AM   #25
Guru
 
City: Canaveral
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
I think the largest seas I have been in were around 30' in a good blow crossing the Gulf of Alaska between Unimak Pass and Cape Flattery. That's a good fair distance, especially with two barges in tow. I have also seen swells that large with no wind to speak of rolling in off the ocean towards WA, near Cape Flattery coming up the coast from Astoria, OR with a tow.
That's about the largest I've experienced, although the average wave height was more likely in the 20's. Cruising south from Cape Flattery on my way to California. 34nm out. The Wood Freeman gave up the ghost so we hand steered for days in that crap.

Funny thing is we had this huge sea-lion chasing us. I never thought they would head that far out to sea. I suppose he was looking for some fish-gut handouts, or perhaps directions back to nice dry land
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:29 AM   #26
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,212
When we checked in with the traffic system at Tofino, they said they didn't notice us in the sea scatter! Skipper who got seasick pretty easy, managed a laugh and told them, "that's because we've been down inside it all night!"
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #27
Guru
 
North Baltic sea's Avatar
 
Country: Finland
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 940
https://youtu.be/PmlTk_3NN_g

Nice video how elastic big ships is high seas...

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #28
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
https://youtu.be/PmlTk_3NN_g

Nice video how elastic big ships is high seas...

NBs
Amazing what steel will take. Ore carriers on the Great Lakes have a passageway almost the length of the ship on each side of the cargo bays and on a 1000' ship in weather it looks like you're looking down a twenty foot piece of hose while someone twists it. Thanks for the video.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #29
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,734
Reading some of your stories almost makes me embarrassed to share mine. I've been in six foot swells off the coast of Charleston. I didn't get seasick until I went below deck. Came up to toss my lunch over the rail and almost immediately felt better. I still lost my lunch.
__________________
What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #30
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Reading some of your stories almost makes me embarrassed to share mine. I've been in six foot swells off the coast of Charleston. I didn't get seasick until I went below deck. Came up to toss my lunch over the rail and almost immediately felt better. I still lost my lunch.
Good lord don't feel embarrassed just because you're smart enough to avoid that stuff. I'm a bit embarrassed at hating being in city traffic and not being able to swallow asparagus (that's when I toss lunch). Don't tell anyone this but even after over fifty years I still get sick on occasion.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #31
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Country: New England
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Good lord don't feel embarrassed just because you're smart enough to avoid that stuff. I'm a bit embarrassed at hating being in city traffic and not being able to swallow asparagus (that's when I toss lunch). Don't tell anyone this but even after over fifty years I still get sick on occasion.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #32
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
I hope that's a thumbs up for getting sick and not asparagus.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Stuart FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,291
Now just imagine having to go into the hot engine room to change a filter in those conditions. And that’s when it’s most likely to happen. Ugh.
__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #34
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Good lord don't feel embarrassed just because you're smart enough to avoid that stuff. I'm a bit embarrassed at hating being in city traffic and not being able to swallow asparagus (that's when I toss lunch). Don't tell anyone this but even after over fifty years I still get sick on occasion.
I can't get past the look of asparagus and I have eaten some pretty unusual dishes before. Oh yeah, my small rural town has built up over the past 25 years. I can't stand it. They have had to install two red lights to stop traffic jams.
__________________
What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #35
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I can't get past the look of asparagus and I have eaten some pretty unusual dishes before. Oh yeah, my small rural town has built up over the past 25 years. I can't stand it. They have had to install two red lights to stop traffic jams.
We have one stop sign and I dread the day they put in a second one. You're from down where they eat that okra stuff aren't you? I spent a week in Beaufort NC back in the late eighties at the Beaufort docks and there was a great little restaurant there with the best coffee and hushpuppies, I must have gained five pounds that week. The waitress got me to try okra and it didn't go down well no matter how hard I tried.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #36
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Now just imagine having to go into the hot engine room to change a filter in those conditions. And that’s when it’s most likely to happen. Ugh.
I always change Racor filters before a blow and give the engine space a quick go around for anything adrift or a budding problem, better to be topside when lunch comes back to visit. Of course vomiting isn't the primary reason I do it.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #37
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
We have one stop sign and I dread the day they put in a second one. You're from down where they eat that okra stuff aren't you? I spent a week in Beaufort NC back in the late eighties at the Beaufort docks and there was a great little restaurant there with the best coffee and hushpuppies, I must have gained five pounds that week. The waitress got me to try okra and it didn't go down well no matter how hard I tried.
Yep. Okra is a southern thing. I love it so it must be an acquired taste.
__________________
What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #38
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Yep. Okra is a southern thing. I love it so it must be an acquired taste.
Probably like lobster is for me.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #39
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Yep. Okra is a southern thing. I love it so it must be an acquired taste.
Wifey B: We're both southern but city southern. Hubby's relatives were rural southern and all ate Okra and Squash and other stuff like that. Not either of us. No way.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #40
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilitas View Post
The OP’s hubris aside, it reminds me of this vid I found before thinking about the thread of “heavy seas.” Here’s a ship we all own, with it’s bow 70’ high chopping the top 10” off waves and throwing it 400’ back. Great video:

Will that plane left out on deck be OK?
I doubt salt water baths could be good for them.
__________________

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×