Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 115
5.0kw Westerbeke no power

I realize I probably need to give more info for help but I don't think I have much.

Started the gen I think perhaps under load (my bad) and as soon as it started it bogged down hard for a few seconds then came back up to normal RPMs but no power output now and making a very slight whining noise that it did not make before.

Also slight smell of burning electrical.

I am going to call the mechanic tomorrow but trying to satisfy my own curiosity in the meantime.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Technical Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,194
These are pretty well known for burning out stators. A rewind may be in your future. Need to do winding resistance checks to confirm. Could be a failed capacitor, but rarely does that cause a burning smell.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
These are pretty well known for burning out stators. A rewind may be in your future. Need to do winding resistance checks to confirm. Could be a failed capacitor, but rarely does that cause a burning smell.
Thanks Ski
informative as usual
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 115
What is typical cost for a new stator?
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: SWFL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonzy1 View Post
What is typical cost for a new stator?
Tomorrow call Broward Armature in Ft Lauderdale and tell them what happened.
Sorry I cannot remember the phone number.
__________________
Archie
Irish Lady
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Ft Myers, FL
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
STB
Guru
 
City: .
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,646
The parts cost for me Kohler 6EOD 6kw genset's stator was about $1500, which seemed steep to me. Not sure if your Westerbeke will fall in that ballpark or not.

But, I think I have seen rewind services for about $500.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
The parts cost for me Kohler 6EOD 6kw genset's stator was about $1500, which seemed steep to me. Not sure if your Westerbeke will fall in that ballpark or not.

But, I think I have seen rewind services for about $500.
Gothca
Thank you
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 115
mechanic was out there today. Back end is shot.
Does 3,000 for the back end complete sound rt?

I think I may be looking at around 5k to do the whole job.
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
STB
Guru
 
City: .
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,646
Between parts and labor, the mechanic charged me about $3k to replace my rotor and regulator.

For that kind of money, I might have done it myself, but I actually got $5k off of the boat for it being advertised as new and non-working. That $5k covered the rotor-regulator and also moving the exhaust to decrease likelihood of ingestion as recommended by the generator mechanic. If figured I'd let someone else do it and get to the other items of the refit myself.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,586
Broward armature rehabbed my 8.0 KW generator end fr $2500 2 years ago .
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Broward armature rehabbed my 8.0 KW generator end fr $2500 2 years ago .
I will for sure tomorrow
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Between parts and labor, the mechanic charged me about $3k to replace my rotor and regulator.

For that kind of money, I might have done it myself, but I actually got $5k off of the boat for it being advertised as new and non-working. That $5k covered the rotor-regulator and also moving the exhaust to decrease likelihood of ingestion as recommended by the generator mechanic. If figured I'd let someone else do it and get to the other items of the refit myself.
he said 3000 for the part I thought
maybe he meant all in but I dont think so
will find out tomorrow
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012