Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
49 Marine Trader Pilothouse

Looking at at 49 MT. Does anyone know how long the salon is from the galley counter to the salon door? I am currently in Iraq working and on the hunt for a larger boat and this one has been raised to the top of the list. if anyone has good info on them please share.

Thanks,

Chris
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: 49 Marine Trader Pilothouse

Look for Charles on here. He used to own and cruise an MT49PH. I am sure he can answer every single question you have. Luckily he still hangs around here even after the sale of the boat. He's a good dude and his wife makes good gumbo!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
8'2". NOte that nothing in these vessels was exactly "standardized"
*Old Stone, *What is that instrument panel for in the end of your galley counter?
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
8'2". NOte that nothing in these vessels was exactly "standardized"
Carl:

If my interior looked like yours, I think I'd be in heaven. That's as nice an interior as I've ever seen! The look is so cozy, not to mention "salty." Extremely well done!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #5

Thanks Carl, is there anything in particular I should look for? I know that all were not built exactly the same but I have heard that the house is wood encapsulated with fiberglass and the windows are of particular concern on all MT's. All that I have found says the hulls are bulletproof. I really love the lines of this boat and think it would make a very good long term cruiser. My wife and I want to do the loop and Bahamas. I also would like to be able to drop my Carolina Skiff J12 on the top deck and build a fiberglass enclosure to haul my Harley while doing the loop. possible or not? I would really like to tap the knowlege of the MTOA but I cannot justify the expense just to research. I know it's not much money but....The one I am looking at is a 1979 MT Pilothouse in Baltimore, MD.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
*I just like to build "homey" interiors, since I live aboard.
__________________________________________________ _____________
*Carl:

If you were in the boat interior business I'd retain you for a remodel of my own boat. I like your use of dark woods, green upholstery, etc. The boats you have done have a very "solid & elegant " look to them and appear to be much larger vessels. Again, very well done!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Chris, Amy and I just toured a MT49 in Pensacola. Owned by a former Mercedes dealer in Atlanta. Our dream boat is the DeFever 49 but this looked close and we were in the area so we checked out. Manuel and his wife met us at the dock and gave us the lowdown. The actual salon is pretty short compared to most pilothouse layouts of this size boat because of the HUGE u-shaped settee in the pilothouse. They didn't compromise on the galley for that big pilothouse so they had to take it out of the salon.
KenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Never mention her in the FORUM because she is a coastal cruiser, not a trawler.
No need not to mention. Many of us on this forum have "trawler" style boats whose capabilities put them firmly in the coastal cruiser bracket. I think of mine as a Bay and sheltered water cruiser.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"Many of us on this forum have "trawler" style boats whose capabilities put them firmly in the coastal cruiser bracket. I think of mine as a Bay and sheltered water cruiser."

In this one aspect the Euros have a realistic rating system that could help folks keep a less emotional view of their boats use.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #10

Thanks again Carl, Yes I was aware of fuel tank issues but not the wood rot possibilities that you mentioned. If purchased it would be a couple of years before any extensive cruising so I would have ample time to shake her out. I am not adverse to a somewhat project as I am retired military but still work six months a year overseas.(building up cruising kitty) but not into a full-blown rebuild. There are a few other boats out there that the Admiral likes and require nothing; but the lines of this boat have me mesmerized. The outdoor spaces and lay-out are great. My Father is in Baltimore and is going to give it a once over and let me know if it's worth looking at.