Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

43 Jet Tern Marine

Hope I am posting this in the right place. Would like to get any opinons on Jet Tern Marine boats? Things like quality of build *any serious problems. Thanks
peapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

RE: 43 Jet Tern Marine

I love my 2007 48 foot Selene. It seems from what I have gleaned from research that the pre-2005 builds had issues that Jet Tern was slow to accept responsibility for but that were not really major (as in structural). More of warranty complaints. For example, I have a handful of blisters on my 4 year old boat. Had I had them when it was new as some others did, I would have wanted them corrected.

Have you joined the owners site as a guest? Lot of honest information there.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for getting back so soon and I will check out the owners group. Sure seem a little early to have blister issues. Have you taken your Selene off shore I am looking for a live aboard for the coast of Maine and Canada up to Newfound land and also the Great Lakes. We would be living on her full time mostly anchoring out. Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

Yes it is early to have blistering issues but rather than worry about trying to get warranty work performed I figure spending a couple of hundred bucks with a local fiberglass guy is much easier. It's one of the reasons I would never buy a new boat of any kind - I couldn't stand having to live with problems until I was able to get to a warranty location. I am happier to fix it myself or pay.

I don't want to give the impression Jet Tern ignores customers. One owner recently had an exhaust riser on one of his engines break a weld on a boat that is a few years old. JT paid a god portion of this repair.

We live on the east coast and boat in the Atlantic all the time. Our travel takes up up and down the coast and out as far as Nantucket which often is an ugly trip. It handles rough water wonderfully (with stabilizers) - even our dogs and cat put up with it and don't abandon ship at first chance. We plan to spend 6 months a year on board and find the 48 a very livable boat. We anchor out or (in busy harbors) pick up a mooring 90% of the time.

Dave
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

I've several friends with new Selenes. Commissioning/build glitches usually center on electrical systems. Another common issue is*assurance of*commissioning costs and responsibilites.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Guru

Are you planning to purchase a new 43 Selene?

We have a 1999 Selene 47 (hull #1) and have used the boat extensively, including off shore. Recently we took the boat to the Bahamas - 850 engine hours - with no problems at all!! We have experienced 10-12 foot seas and 35-50kt winds --- not by choice--- and th boat has handled all conditions better than the crew!! We do have stabilizers and would suggest these are required on this type of hull configuration.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We would be buying used I feel a lot of the bugs are worked out of a new boats after a few years. Stabilizers seem to be the only way to go and most owners have them. what type are you running and how are they holding up?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 AM   #8

I have a Wesmar system and it works great for stabilizing and trim.

Dave
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
Guru

We have Niaids and same as above, no problems. Incidentally, we have also had no issues with hull or blisters on what is now an 11 year old boat. make sure you buy your 43 with fins already installed. Installation is costly and I think you may have difficulty fitting them spacewise into the 43 after the fact.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote