Old 10-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
42 Azimut - italian build.

Checked off so many of the boxes, great social space salon, cockpit, flybridge, two stateroom, good looking boat, etc. Made the offer, now to see if it's as nice as the broker states.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ridge-3589005/
I think this will work as a solid family boat for the next five to seven years until we're looking at the retirement boat. If not, well I have a solid plan B.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Azimut's are laid out well and perform well and the negatives are things encountered under warranty so you're long beyond those. Enjoy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Vessel Model: Carver 450 Voyager Pilothouse
I agree that layout looks very social. I also like the double wide helm chair both on the flybridge and at the lower helm, the skipper will have some company. The blue upholstery is a very cheerful color. Good luck with the purchase.
JT and Estee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Sexy...like a floating Lamborghini.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #5

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Have you read the reviews online?
"complained of handling problems on the Great Lakes in Michigan and complained that he thought the beam was not wide enough and that the props are too close together. He also stated that he had a hard time getting support from the Azimut."

"narrow beam" (not sure why that was said it's 13' 8" for 42 that's about right.)

"I'd say their interior joinery and fittings are NOT way ahead of the others"

"I think they're a bit over styled so they could date more quickly than more conservative designs but the current designs look the biz to me eyes, esp the 53 and 58. FWIW and based on my experience with the AZ46, Azimut do seem to use high quality equipment in their boats; mine had stuff like Kohler genny, Cruisair a/c, Vacuflush bogs, Racor filters, PSS shaft seals etc. No HFL or Whittall **** to be found. My boat had some nice practical features like big enclosed fairleads, fuel fillers in spillage traps, big anchor and chain etc
Like any Italian boats, mine had some stupidities too. The helm ergonomics are not great, as you have pointed out, and fixed helm seats are not acceptable on any boat of this value. But poor helms seem to be a general Italian blind spot so Azimut are not alone. Also another Italian characteristic and it's certainly the case with some Azimuts is a large engine bay but at the expense of a storage lazarette, which is disadvantage if you need to carry stuff. Another Azimut thing are the electric side windows which look great at boat shows but fail as I well know. My favorite bit of bone headed design on my boat was the aft facing fridge in the galley which emptied it's contents on to the galley floor every time the boat went on to the plane, unless the tiny door lock was engaged."

"Joinery.

IMHO the joinery work is not up with the others. If not exposed screw heads they are covered with cheap plastic caps. also many I have seen are mild steel and rusting.

Machinery.

Yes. In some ways over engineered, but not thought about. I've seen major electrical junction boxes mounted inline with poor shaft seals causing water to spray over them. Batteries mounted in nearly impossible to access places (az 47), passerells mounted with seriously poor reinforcement."

But there were plenty that loved the boat.

Good luck, enjoy if your offer is accepted
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Guru

As I tried to state, there are many negative reviews but the vast majority of those deal with electrical problems when new and poor warranty service. On your sea trial, you'll have to judge the ride and comfort. I hadn't seen the review talking about handling problems but would look for that. It does not have stabilizers and would probably benefit from them. It does have Bennett Trim Tabs and used properly they can be used to eliminate or minimize handling issues.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Looks fast even when still! Curious if you plan on running it at planing speed or slower. Seems like a fair price for the pedigree.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

City: Hilton Head, SC
Vessel Name: Mimi's Oasis
Vessel Model: North Pacific 49
Looks like fun

For the price I think it might be difficult to go wrong. Obviously, the engines and other machinery must pass a close inspection. But, if they do, have fun.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Interesting layout.

Hope your survey goes well!

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Cool boat. Its rare to have a lower helm in that style boat, that's a huge plus. Nice to have diesels too.

Good luck

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:58 AM   #11
Guru

Going to be moving forward to sea trial and mechanical. The good news, owner spent 10k on Cat 1000 hour service! Some smaller cosmetic issues nothing 5 boat bucks won't resolve. Moving forward to bring in the professionals. Yeah I read through most of those reviews. Azimut is a large builder with as few complaints I imagine it will fit the bill well. Going to use it coastal cruising, mainly Oregon/Washington.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 10-29-2019, 02:24 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Going to be moving forward to sea trial and mechanical. The good news, owner spent 10k on Cat 1000 hour service! ..
Have you been to see it? There are a number of boats of that ilk, Sealine is another. I hope it works out.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
The good news, owner spent 10k on Cat 1000 hour service!

Must have been major, did you get see a work sheet what was done?

please tell us what cost that kinda $$ at 1,000 hours
Old 10-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #14
Guru

This is odd. Lipets accused me of "raining on his parade" when I volunteered information about the boat he was buying,after having researched and rejected an identical boat to his over build issues.

Ease up lipets. bshillham knows what he`s doing.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipets View Post
Must have been major, did you get see a work sheet what was done?

please tell us what cost that kinda $$ at 1,000 hours
CAT 1000 Hour:

First you do all the 250 hour/annual service, which is:

Check auxiliary water pump and impeller and replace as needed
Check battery electrolyte level and voltage
Check engine belts and adjust or replace as needed
Check coolant system levels and add additive as necessary
Obtain coolant system coolant samples
Check engine air filter and clean or replace as needed
Clean engine crankcase breather
Change engine oil and filters
Obtain oil samples
Replace RACOR fuel filters
Replace engine secondary fuel filters
Inspect all hoses and clamps and replace as necessary

Every 500 hours:

Change engine oil and filters.

On top of that the 1000 hour or 4 year service is:

Inspect aftercooler core, clean and bench test for proper function
Inspect heat exchanger, clean and repair as necessary
Inspect turbocharger, repair as necessary
Replace closed crankcase ventilation fumes disposal filter

That could all easily run $10,000, especially if the heat exchanger or turbocharger require any repair.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #16

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
This is odd. Lipets accused me of "raining on his parade" when I volunteered information about the boat he was buying,after having researched and rejected an identical boat to his over build issues.

Ease up lipets. bshillham knows what he`s doing.

You really have some issues, now your his lawyer?

Forget your meds today
Old 10-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
You really have some issues, now your his lawyer?

Forget your meds today
Not just a hypocrite, but rude and offensive too. TF has an overriding "be nice" rule. Check it out.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 PM   #18
Guru

I have already asked for copies of the 1,000 hour service. Certainly they should have found some major work to spend $10k in the engine room. I had already looked up what the service calls for. My assumption would be cooling system related. When the receipt comes in I'll share with everyone as I am just as curious too.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:08 AM   #19

Based on that receipt you want to check the other engine for same issues as a negotiating point
Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Based on that receipt you want to check the other engine for same issues as a negotiating point
The other engine? The 1000 hour check would have been for both engines. The price is not at all high for typical 1000 hour CAT service.

You point out a selection of negative reviews you found but there are many happy owners of Azimut. Yes, some wiring issues but those should be long worked out. In general quality of build, they would certainly be considered at least equal to Beneteau, which you own. In terms of the ride of this specific model, that's something he'll have to see in a sea trial and I recommend really putting a boat through it's paces in one. If there is no rough water, then create some as all boats do fine in glassy smooth water. I think this may well be a boat that needs stabilization.

I would never buy an Azimut new in the US and that's largely due to the warranty service as administered by Marine Max. However, this doesn't mean I wouldn't consider a used one and through survey and sea trial I would determine if all the problems had been addressed over the years.