Old 08-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #41

City: louisiana
As of yet no one has mentioned the type of anchor or how much chain the "party boat" captain had deployed. If it was a ROCNA he would not likely have been able to break it free in time to investigate/rescue.

I just had to....sorry!
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #42
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Allow me to be clear here and I do hope I did not mislead anyone in my statement about boarding a settling vessel. I was only answer Rick's question on how I thought the Capt. would be placing he and his crew endanger.

When it comes to boarding a vessel like that, one must look at many different factors, like how much freeboard is left on the vessel. What is the sea and wind doing. How long will it take the USCG to get there. Does the vessel look like it has been at sea a long time or not. God the list will go on.

No one knows what they will do until they are faced with it. As I said, if I believed a person was onboard, believe me I would do everything in my power help them but still it's a 50/50 call. In most cases I would roll the dice. I would like to believe I would and I think most people would! Well I do hope they would!

Anyways. I did not want anyone taking what I replied to Rick in the wrong way.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #43
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 86. the first thing I thought of was "captain got drunk and passed out in the cabin" or some other area not visible from afar. A few gulps of salt water as the vessel was sinking and he's a goner....Hope not. I have no idea what I would have done under similar circumstances. I would like to think I would have investigated or at least put out a securite call.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Where or who made any mention of boarding the other vessel? Why has the wisdom or safety of boarding the vessel even under discussion when the fishing boat captain made a choice to not even approach close enough to ask questions or take a better look.

The entire point of the discussion as I see it is the fishing captain stood off and watched a boat sink without making the slightest effort to even get within speaking distance until after it sank. The only mention of safety originated on this forum.

The speed at which it actually sank beneath the water is completely irrelevant. Some boats flood for hours then "suddenly" sink. It evidently took some time to downflood, at least enough time to be noticed and for the witness to decide to go fishing after convincing himself no one was onboard the vessel.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #45

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Where or who made any mention of board the other vessel? Why has the wisdom or safety of boarding the vessel even under discussion when the fishing boat captain made a choice to not even approach close enough to ask questions or take a better look.

The entire point of the discussion as I see it is the fishing captain stood off and watched a boat sink without making the slightest effort to even get within speaking distance until after it sank.
Well said!
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #46
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
However this story turns out, at this point it doesn't look too good for the fish boat captain. No idea if he'll be liable etc., just doesn't look good. Most of us here have been around long enough to recognize that if something looks weird, there a 50/50 chance that it is, so go over and check it out. You might get an ass chewing for butting in, or you might find someone in real trouble. I have no problem with an ass chewing, but I have a big problem if someone gets hurt or dies and maybe I could have helped but didn't.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote