40' to 50' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't check in on Trawler Forums very often and reading this thread reminds me of why.

So the OP's big sin was that in post #1, he stated what he wanted to do with his trawler.

Several years ago, I had a minister contact me from BC and he wanted a trawler for ministerial work in Central America. I sold him a boat that was in Newfoundland. Once he got to Central America, he started a website with pictures of his ministering to locals in areas not easily accessible by land. His crew was his wife and 2 children (maybe 10 & 12?). While I was skeptical of his goals, I would occasionally check his website and I gotta tell you, I was impressed with his success in meeting his goals. We never discussed religion, just finding an appropriate boat for his purpose. Not sure the OP deserved getting 5 pages of mostly unrelated responses to his request for help from this group.

Tough group here. Surprising and disappointing.

Judy

Judy I would have to agree with you many of these folks I have felt like they are my brothers and sisters for the past 5 years and this thread has certainly shocked me to see some of the responses

I went back and reread every one of Thor’s posts. I didn’t see him proselytizing. I did see him making expressions of his own faith in the language of his faith community. I never read anything that was an attempt to make converts of TF members.

There seem to be some TF members who are exceptionally uncomfortable if someone is open about their faith. Thor’s comments have related to the idea of a boat search and have been more on-topic than many of our rambling discussions. For many, using the language of faith is not meant to be provocative, coercive, or evangelical. It is simply an inherent part of their language and is as natural as breathing. Think of it as almost a dialect.

Maybe Thor will recognize that some are made uncomfortable and annoyed by it and try to modify his language? Maybe others will try to exercise tolerance as well. Communities of all kinds work best when individuals try to avoid being excessively annoying, and try to avoid being easily annoyed.

Thanks

Cary Grant was awesome. Who else from old Hollywood fits that billing? He was also in a movie called Houseboat. Was that a trawler? How’s that for changing the topic?

It was not a displacement hull LOL

Judy I would have to agree with you many of these folks I have felt like they are my brothers and sisters for the past 5 years and this thread has certainly shocked me to see some of the responses

I think there's one important difference in how various of us see this. Some see it as religion vs. non-religion and as a war between religion and not. Others see it as the introduction of religion into a boating forum vs. sticking to boating.

Some feel those disagreeing with posts by the OP crossed the line and others including religious members felt his posts crossed the line, but then that's the entire reason of not discussing religion or politics or social issues in certain places.

Some take it as a personal affront when someone starts talking about God providing them a boat. Others take it as a personal affront when someone questions the motives of the person talking about a boat for religious purposes.

You end up seeing various views and, it's true, you find out things you wish you didn't find out about others. The reality is it all could have been easily avoided by not introducing religion into the discussion.

I admire those who use their religion to do good things for others. I might even like hearing about your religious practices in another place. In that time and place we might be willing to discuss our religious views which we would never discuss in this forum and might well surprise you.

The same thing that you find has happened to you in this thread has happened every time politics has been introduced into the forum. We find out things about others here we wish we didn't. If you got into political discussions with some of those here you think share your religion you'd then be shocked and disappointed. Social views fall into the same areas of guaranteed conflict.

Community rules say "discussions about politics, religion and weaponry are likely to be closed or removed if they turn into flame fests and are only permitted in the Off The Deep End Forum."

There's a reason for that.

We don't participate in facebook and one of the reasons among many is learning things about acquaintances we'd really prefer not to know. These are people one may interact with regularly and find to be pleasant but if one read their facebook posts find them to be filled with ugliness and hate. I have relatives who present themselves as loving and kind and religious and who I grew up loving. However, I've heard such despicable views from them that I no longer want anything to do with such hateful people.

This forum is for boating discussions. Anytime it strays the potential of what you've felt from this thread is there. I would add one thing. You really haven't learned about those you've known 5 years in this thread. You've gotten snippets, perhaps those you find offensive. However, you haven't sat down with them to really understand each other. You haven't had an in-depth discussion to understand each other's views. You have no background. No person can be summed up in 140 or 280 characters or in a single post on a forum. They may not be the sweet loving souls you thought they were but also not the hateful soul you've seen in their post.

Threads get off topic all the time. When they stray to dental care of to anchors or to favorite coffee, damage isn't done. When they stray to religion or politics, damage is often done.

I will be glad to discuss my views with you in private, but not on a public forum.

I think there's one important difference in how various of us see this. Some see it as religion vs. non-religion and as a war between religion and not. Others see it as the introduction of religion into a boating forum vs. sticking to boating.

Some feel those disagreeing with posts by the OP crossed the line and others including religious members felt his posts crossed the line, but then that's the entire reason of not discussing religion or politics or social issues in certain places.

Some take it as a personal affront when someone starts talking about God providing them a boat. Others take it as a personal affront when someone questions the motives of the person talking about a boat for religious purposes.

You end up seeing various views and, it's true, you find out things you wish you didn't find out about others. The reality is it all could have been easily avoided by not introducing religion into the discussion.

I admire those who use their religion to do good things for others. I might even like hearing about your religious practices in another place. In that time and place we might be willing to discuss our religious views which we would never discuss in this forum and might well surprise you.

The same thing that you find has happened to you in this thread has happened every time politics has been introduced into the forum. We find out things about others here we wish we didn't. If you got into political discussions with some of those here you think share your religion you'd then be shocked and disappointed. Social views fall into the same areas of guaranteed conflict.

Community rules say "discussions about politics, religion and weaponry are likely to be closed or removed if they turn into flame fests and are only permitted in the Off The Deep End Forum."

There's a reason for that.

We don't participate in facebook and one of the reasons among many is learning things about acquaintances we'd really prefer not to know. These are people one may interact with regularly and find to be pleasant but if one read their facebook posts find them to be filled with ugliness and hate. I have relatives who present themselves as loving and kind and religious and who I grew up loving. However, I've heard such despicable views from them that I no longer want anything to do with such hateful people.

This forum is for boating discussions. Anytime it strays the potential of what you've felt from this thread is there. I would add one thing. You really haven't learned about those you've known 5 years in this thread. You've gotten snippets, perhaps those you find offensive. However, you haven't sat down with them to really understand each other. You haven't had an in-depth discussion to understand each other's views. You have no background. No person can be summed up in 140 or 280 characters or in a single post on a forum. They may not be the sweet loving souls you thought they were but also not the hateful soul you've seen in their post.

Threads get off topic all the time. When they stray to dental care of to anchors or to favorite coffee, damage isn't done. When they stray to religion or politics, damage is often done.

I will be glad to discuss my views with you in private, but not on a public forum.

Brilliant post.

I would add one thing. You really haven't learned about those you've known 5 years in this thread. You've gotten snippets, perhaps those you find offensive. However, you haven't sat down with them to really understand each other. You haven't had an in-depth discussion to understand each other's views. You have no background. No person can be summed up in 140 or 280 characters or in a single post on a forum. They may not be the sweet loving souls you thought they were but also not the hateful soul you've seen in their post.

I was thinking about this again the other day. While we learn about forum members to a certain degree, it is different than being able to interact with them face to face over an extended period. We all project a persona to the people around us. If you are with someone long enough you get past the mask and begin to get a better understanding of who they truly are.

On a forum, folks tend to create a personality, much like an avatar. It is how they wish to be viewed by others. We learn a lot about the avatar, but not necessarily about the person behind it. I have to say, that I REALLY like most of the avatars that folks project on TF. Even if they are idealized versions of themselves, it tells me about their ideals, tells me about what they think is important in social interactions.

I’ll use BandB as an example. They value their privacy so we know little about them. That doesn’t matter. BandB may not actually be the educated, successful, generous, fun-loving and loving couple that comes across in their posts. The could really be some overweight 50 year old woman living in her Mother’s basement with a good imagination and exceptional research skills. It doesn’t matter to me. I get pleasure and useful information from their posts.

This post is REALLY off-topic and not relevant to anything. All it does it is demonstrate that dhays is really just an OVOID (Old Verbose Overweight Ignorant Dude).

Last edited:
I was thinking about this again the other day. While we learn about forum members to a certain degree, it is different than being able to interact with them face to face over an extended period. We all project a persona to the people around us. If you are with someone long enough you get past the mask and begin to get a better understanding of who they truly are.

On a forum, folks tend to create a personality, much like an avatar. It is how they wish to be viewed by others. We learn a lot about the avatar, but not necessarily about the person behind it. I have to say, that I REALLY like most of the avatars that folks project on TF. Even if they are idealized versions of themselves, it tells me about their ideals, tells me about what they think is important in social interactions.

I’ll use BandB as an example. They value their privacy so we know little about them. That doesn’t matter. BandB may not actually be the educated, successful, generous, fun-loving and loving couple that comes across in their posts. The could really be some overweight 50 year old woman living in her Mother’s basement a good imagination and exceptional research skills. It doesn’t matter to me. I get pleasure and useful information from their posts.

This post is REALLY off-topic and not relevant to anything. All it does it is demonstrate that dhays is really just an OVOID (Old Verbose Overweight Ignorant Dude).

Dave - Don't be Bitter... Reconsider!

I’ll use BandB as an example. They value their privacy so we know little about them. That doesn’t matter. BandB may not actually be the educated, successful, generous, fun-loving and loving couple that comes across in their posts. The could really be some overweight 50 year old woman living in her Mother’s basement with a good imagination and exceptional research skills. It doesn’t matter to me. I get pleasure and useful information from their posts.

Wifey B: Overweight? :angry: 50 year old? :mad:

Your point is so on target about forum avatars although not sure most are targeting their ideal or better than they are. Some represent themselves poorly as they don't filter what they say. It's a lot easier to be rude and difficult when not facing the other person. Many post not as if they're talking to people but as if they're talking to numbers or paper or something. Some assume tough guy personas online when in person they're far more gentle.

Behavior in the real world in controlled by our need to protect ourselves. You don't blast your boss like you might someone online over some subject, because you need the job. You select your words far more carefully in your social settings.

I think of one person in particular who was fairly universally disliked here and run off and yet those I know how have met him in person speak very highly of him. Not sure what he was trying to prove but he failed.

I think back to when I first read Oliver's posts and then suddenly found out he was 14. Still one of my favorite dudes but his knowledge far exceeded what expected and he was probably accepted for his expertise easier here than those here might have done in person. Here we only saw a small facet of the totality of Oliver. The forum didn't get to know the teen.

As it applies to this thread, I think if we'd all been sitting around talking in small groups, many of the posts would have been replaced by far more careful wording. Most care more about not offending others than comes across online.:)

Yes, excellent points. Once disadvantage is that online posting can mess with our social filters at times.

Behavior in the real world in controlled by our need to protect ourselves. You don't blast your boss like you might someone online over some subject, because you need the job. You select your words far more carefully in your social settings.

Far too often we just interact with our environment.

To French-speaking if there are some out here, «Trop souvent, nous ne sommes que le produit de notre environnement».

Far too often we just interact with our environment.

To French-speaking if there are some out here, «Trop souvent, nous ne sommes que le produit de notre environnement».

En ce moment les systèmes environnementaux de notre Terre se détériorent résultent de nous-memes

Brilliant post.
(By BandB)

But we still luv yah Dave, even if you're OVOID - most of us are that a bit, I suspect.

And yes, BandB summed up rather well just why we mods are kept on our toes. But we appreciate the degree of self-moderation that often takes place as well.
:)

En ce moment les systèmes environnementaux de notre Terre se détériorent résultent de nous-memes

Bonne expression Mr. Oldbie! :)

«The great question, whether man is of nature or above her».
Near-forgotten US congressman George Perkins Marsh, 1801-1882, considered by some to be America's first environmentalist.

I apologize to Thorhooked for the digression.

Reactions: Art
This is getting too 'way off the subject' for me.

Back
Top Bottom