Old 06-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ss. Perhaps our Mr. thor is of the mind that one catches more fish trolling/trawling than when anchored.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Curious...would you be offering these rides for free, or would those coming aboard have monies available to them for sabbaticals? Is this an ‘industry’ of sorts? Would the vessel need commercial insurance? Do you have a Captains license?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
That’s pretty cool though. A worship service on the water.
When I was a little girl I attended church on a houseboat. The minister was a Shriner too and a magician. Because I learned the books of the bible in order he was teaching me how to eat fire. Okay, actually it was how not to swallow the nasty chemicals that protect your mouth.

Then we left or he died or something... it's been too many years to remember. I believe his name was Ira Levy... it's been a long time.

And often there are boats spreading the word.

That said, thor's initial query would lead many of us to conclude he was seeking a free boat. That's been done/requested FAR MORE than he can imagine. Just because you have a good cause (taking medical supplies to south America or was it Haiti? last time as I recall)

Well, the skeptics among us would quite naturally suspect someone is looking for a free boat. That is experience -- not necessarily related to thor however it does directly mimic previous incarnations of similar requests...

Legitimate questions as to thor's experience have been raised. And frankly running a boat is NOT RELAXING.

I wish you well thor. It's a mighty task you seek to fulfill. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #24

Here’s an experienced purpose-built boat for you. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Curious...would you be offering these rides for free, or would those coming aboard have monies available to them for sabbaticals? Is this an ‘industry’ of sorts? Would the vessel need commercial insurance? Do you have a Captains license?

You raise a good point. At what point would someone need a captains license? Not for taking folks out for a cruise, but if money is involved then likely. Even if it was being operated as a non-profit, I could see them needing a captains license.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhooked View Post
For some reason I'm beginning to get the impression that some of these folks got the impression I was looking for a "Free Trawler". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Would I turn one down, of course not if it were a trawler that met our needs. If this ministry is what God intends for me to do, know beyond a shadow of a doubt He has the power to provide us with the trawler we need. That doesn't mean that I'm not supposed to do my due diligence and look for a Trawler. I find it somewhat humorous that I posted a search on Trawler Forum for a 40 to 50 foot trawler to do the Great Loop. How many thousands of times has this been done on Trawler Forum? But because I mentioned what I intended to do with it some people evidently got the wrong impression as to me looking for one for free. Perhaps I should have been clearer about what God has called me to do.

God Bless
Let's be clear on a couple of things. I asked about your experience and you ignored me, now many others have asked the same.

You also gave no indication at all as to spending money and only after asked you disclosed a $95k budget which is challenging.

And, if the sole purpose was your ministry you wouldn't be buying a boat. You're talking boat to provide your family a great trip and vacation. The fact you're also doing ministry doesn't change that. You don't spend money on a boat to minister to people easily reached by land and the size boat you're talking about will not be a special retreat for ministers.

You also haven't addressed the logistics at all. You can't enter the Erie Canal until Mid may and must leave Chicago by mid September. That doesn't leave a lot of time for ministry in between. You also deal with the same short seasons everywhere except Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi. I did ask your knowledge of the loop.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #27
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Way to go B!

Who's going to take the wheel when the weather gets rough?

That anglican mission boat mentioned earlier has 6' draft which at times will be leaving a mud wake on the loop. It also does not have the required guest rooms for you and your family, plus visitors.

You said that you planned to take 2 years to loop, but the loop is a spring, summer, fall, and get back to FL before it gets too cold deal. How does two years work into your planning? Leave the boat in the northeast, or stay aboard the boat through the winter? If staying aboard, you'll have to have heat and insulation (aka a northern boat) as well as A/C for hot days down south in the spring, summer and early fall days.

Where would you plan to winter over, The Great Lakes? Perhaps haul out for the frozen months and do something else in the meantime? Ask anyone who has lived aboard a boat in the winter, in northern states, with icing on everything, docks, boats, and it is anything but idyllic.

The bigger a boat gets, the draft usually gets deeper too. While the design depth of the ICW is fairly deep 12'-14', there are many places where it is under 6' which is why many Loop postings recommending less than 5' draft for a good loop boat.

Even planing hull boats draw water when you're not on plane, and there are many slow areas of the loop, to prevent shoreline erosion, so you can't plan on getting up on plane and skimming across the shallow water.

Assuming you take on passengers and motor for a week or two, how do they get back home? Uber?
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
If this guy is for real, he has not thought this through.
$90K for a 3 stateroom, loop ready boat? We'd all like one of those.
Is he going to tie up at the fuel dock until his tanks are magically filled?
Marina fees? Yes, the ICW can be run at night if one is both skilled and experienced but, after a while, everyone needs a rest. Plus, he will need to stop, preach and make contact with the local ministers' for the next leg of the loop.
Maintenance? No discussion of his skill and experience. The boat/mechanical/ electronics and other ship's systems will magically never need maintenance/upgrading?
Boating skills? I suspect, little or none. A lot of folks buy a boat and learn as they go but they usually start with a smaller boat and make steps up to larger boats over time.
Navigation skill? Sure, can learn that by reading and practicing.
The need for a licensed Captain for maybe a week or three of intensive instruction and experience, in the confined ICW. This would be for the entire family for they will all take a turn at the helm, running and performing the necessary maintenance every day.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #29

City: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Which brings us to your $95,000 price range. For instance, whether seriously or facetiously mentioned above, you're not going to get a Fleming 65 for that amount. As to what you're doing, not really as relevant as is the fact you need accommodations for 6. I'm not at all grasping how you're going to do the loop and host guests at various ports and still complete the loop in season. Perhaps those you host will stay with you until the next port. Have you studied the loop so you have a good understanding of it? For three staterooms, you will need to be at the upper end of your size range you mentioned or above.

What is your boating experience and your mechanical ability?
BrandB,

Thank you for your concerns, the questions you ask are truly things one should consider before taking off on such a trip. Please allow me to take a moment of your time and try and address each of your concerns individually.

As to the $95,000.00 price range, I had to begin somewhere, that seemed like a good number at the time. The Fleming 65 was a boat someone on Trawler Forum suggested not necessarily one I would choose or am specifically looking for.

As for how we plan to accomplish hosting our guests and doing the loop in a season, you hit the nail on the head. We will, as reservations are made, choose a tentative port and a tentative date to pick them up at the same time we will set a tentative port and tentative date to drop them off. The amount of time they for their sabbatical will depend on the length of time they will be onboard and the distance we will travel. The key word here is “Tentative”, anyone who has traveled very much on the ICW are any other major waterway, will tell you setting a hard-fast schedule will get you in serious trouble. Weather is a constant and can be a deadly factor. As you surely will agree, in many instances one will need to wait for “Weather Windows” to make some open water crossings or sometime just to leave the dock period. Waiting on weather can and will determine distance traveled and destinations will change.

As for studying the loop, we have spent the past 10 plus years studying the loop. Reading everything we can get our hands on and visiting in person with many couples who have successfully completed the loop. We are also members of the ALGCA.

As for boating experience we have been members of Galveston Bay Sail and Power Squadron for the past 10 years. We both have this year completed the course, passed the test and received our OUPV/Six Pack License.

As for mechanical ability. I am a certified diesel mechanic, certified in Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit truck and heavy equipment diesels. Although these certifications are not for marine diesels, a diesel engine is a diesel engine, each brand has it’s own idiosyncrasies which are brand specific. Haven’t spent much time working on Ford Lehman, John Deere, Volvo Penta, Yanmar or Kubota, but unless the boat has been recently repowered it probably will not have a Yanmar or Kubota in it. I have an extensive background in diesel powered AC generators. Am proficient in AC/DC electrical and electronics with certification in Marine Electrical and Electronics from the United States Power Squadron. I am also quite competent in hydraulic applications, plumbing, be it fuel, waste water or potable water. I’ve spent the past few years manufacturing custom Stainless-Steel fuel tanks for everything from trawlers to towboat to ferryboats.
We feel that God has spent many years preparing us for this ministry. We both feel quite comfortable with the skills and knowledge God had blessed us with to undertake such a mission.

Blessings
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #30

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
I do believe that many of you are missing the point. It sounds as if this is his personal money and he is trying to give back/pay it forward as a ministry, not as a way to profit as some suppose. Perhaps along the way he and his wife could enjoy the experiences and building relationships. As believers we are not called to foolishly give all of our money and resources to charity, but to be good stewards of what we are given. Our best to you Thorhooked!
Restitution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
An Advanced Search in YachtWorld turns up 100 or so boats in that size and price range on the East Coast. Thats just trawlers. None of my business what he does with it.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #32

City: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
I do believe that many of you are missing the point. It sounds as if this is his personal money and he is trying to give back/pay it forward as a ministry, not as a way to profit as some suppose. Perhaps along the way he and his wife could enjoy the experiences and building relationships. As believers we are not called to foolishly give all of our money and resources to charity, but to be good stewards of what we are given. Our best to you Thorhooked!
Thank you Restitution for your insight! Thankfully someone finally understands what we are going to do. I've tried and obviously failed miserably to explain.

Blessings
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #33
Guru

Thorhooded, based upon your expressed skill set and experience, sounds like you are well qualified.
Now, you just need to double your available funds and get a mortgage too.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #34

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Northern Sky
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhooked View Post
BrandB,

As for studying the loop, we have spent the past 10 plus years studying the loop. Reading everything we can get our hands on and visiting in person with many couples who have successfully completed the loop. We are also members of the ALGCA.

As for boating experience we have been members of Galveston Bay Sail and Power Squadron for the past 10 years. We both have this year completed the course, passed the test and received our OUPV/Six Pack License.

As for mechanical ability. I am a certified diesel mechanic, certified in Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit truck and heavy equipment diesels. Although these certifications are not for marine diesels, a diesel engine is a diesel engine, each brand has it’s own idiosyncrasies which are brand specific. Haven’t spent much time working on Ford Lehman, John Deere, Volvo Penta, Yanmar or Kubota, but unless the boat has been recently repowered it probably will not have a Yanmar or Kubota in it. I have an extensive background in diesel powered AC generators. Am proficient in AC/DC electrical and electronics with certification in Marine Electrical and Electronics from the United States Power Squadron. I am also quite competent in hydraulic applications, plumbing, be it fuel, waste water or potable water. I’ve spent the past few years manufacturing custom Stainless-Steel fuel tanks for everything from trawlers to towboat to ferryboats.
We feel that God has spent many years preparing us for this ministry. We both feel quite comfortable with the skills and knowledge God had blessed us with to undertake such a mission.

Blessings
Sound like you are better prepared than most.

Good luck with your adventure.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #35
Guru

City: Boston Area
I think if you had stated your qualifications up front you probably would have gotten more useful answers.

I think you might be better off choosing between doing the loop and offering a place of respite and meditation for the clergy. The logistics of it will prove too difficult. I think most small churches are understaffed to the point where the clergy need to find substitute staff to tend the flock while they are on vacation. This takes a great deal of planning and lead time. They may not have the flexibility to adapt to your unspecified schedule. If you aren't there when their vacation time arrives the stress reduction factor may be lost.

Perhaps if you made it known you'd be in Big City #1, for months A,B and C.....then Big City #2 for months D, E, and F and so on it would be easier logistically. If I understand you correctly you aren't looking to transport these people geographically, only metaphysically. That can be done in day trips, short local cruises, or 3 or 4 days in a serene anchorage, which could be planned on a much more rigid schedule.
Also, I foresee marketing being a very difficult problem for a venture like this. In a traditional new business venture you have a promotions budget to "prime the pump" to create demand. Eventually you have enough word of mouth buzz created that customers are looking or you, rather than the other way around. If you are always on the move, none of your previous clients can help you get, or be, future clients. Growing your customer base will be very difficult.

Ideally, if you picked one permanent locations you may be able to serve more people, but not fulfill your mission of completing the loop. Your two missions looping and providing a retreat may not be concurrently practical.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Ok to me it seems most are missing the point but in many ways they do not have the understanding or belief to understand.

A close friend of ours did the loop in a Marlow (way out of our price range) they set aside 7 different weeks for people in the ministry I would not really call the weeks sabbaticals but a time to get away and enjoy.

We spent the first 2 weeks of the loop with them helping get the boat ready and ironing a few kinks out.

Best of luck in your journey!!
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
There are two issues. The first is the typical naïveté of many folks looking to get a boat for the loop, the inland passage to AK, cruising the Bahamas, or a circumnavigation. I started out looking at trawlers with as much or more ignorance as most. Fortunately, TF was helpful and kind in educating me.

The second issue that seems to be tripping people up is Thor’s desired use of the boat. He described his ideas and purpose in the terms he is comfortable with.

FWIW, I am a person of faith. I’ve grown up in the the church and have known many folks involved in ministry. I’ve been involved in religious ministry myself, both here and abroad. I don’t think I’ve ever explicitly stated this in this forum as it has not been relevant to the discussions at hand. I don’t believe I’ve ever commented on anyone’s faith or lack of it. It may come as a surprise that I give about 10% of my income to the church and other religious ministries. That, more than my sailing background, may be why I am such a cheap SOB.

I don’t know Thor and he could certainly be a con out to get someone to pay for a boat and vacation for his family. However, just as I do with other members of TF, I take folks at their word and assume the best until proven otherwise. Also, because of my own religious background, this idea doesn’t seem all that unique.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:26 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I respect what Siestakey's friend did. However, we're not missing the point. The point is the OP's desire for a boat to do the loop, sleep six and all for $95k. I don't know of a Marlow in his price range or a Marlow in that size range with three staterooms although some may have been built in that configuration. We put a lot of effort into finding a loop boat. A 60' Hatteras has three staterooms but won't fit under the Chicago bridge without modification so we ended up with a 65' Sunseeker, not a trawler, and substantially more than $95k.

As to where the $95k is coming from, why he chose to introduce that information I don't know. It only disturbed the discussion and wasn't relevant until he made it so.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In my opinion TF is being particularly harsh to Thor.

There are two issues. The first is the typical naïveté of many folks looking to get a boat for the loop, the inland passage to AK, cruising the Bahamas, or a circumnavigation. I started out looking at trawlers with as much or more ignorance as most. Fortunately, TF was helpful and kind in educating me.

The second issue that seems to be tripping people up is Thor’s desired use of the boat. He described his ideas and purpose in the terms he is comfortable with.

FWIW, I am a person of faith. I’ve grown up in the the church and have known many folks involved in ministry. I’ve been involved in religious ministry myself, both here and abroad. I don’t think I’ve ever explicitly stated this in this forum as it has not been relevant to the discussions at hand. I don’t believe I’ve ever commented on anyone’s faith or lack of it. It may come as a surprise that I give about 10% of my income to the church and other religious ministries. That, more than my sailing background, may be why I am such a cheap SOB.

I don’t know Thor and he could certainly be a con out to get someone to pay for a boat and vacation for his family. However, just as I do with other members of TF, I take folks at their word and assume the best until proven otherwise. Also, because of my own religious background, this idea doesn’t seem all that unique.
Well said D and I have to say I agree. I do not think anyone in the trawler forum knows about our mission work because I have never shared it and after reading this thread I have to say I am glad I have not.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #40
Guru

Thor, I think your stated plans, while honorable, may I suggest might be a bit overly ambitious at this time.
The $90K is a good start. I question the finding a boat at that size that will be 'loop ready' for that amount of money especially without an additional significant mortgage.
I am not saying, it cannot be done for we all know, the Lord works in mysterious ways. But it also says, "The Lord helps those who help themselves." I don't see anyone successfully begging at the temple gates for fuel, dockage fees and maintenance for your boat when some church members maybe struggling for food and place to live. I could not do that with a clear conscious and I would hope, you could not do it either.

Maybe first, buy a smaller boat. A boat you and your wife can handle..... start the loop and see what the reception will be to your final plans of taking other ministerial couples for a week, or more, of travel and study.

Benthic2, I agree with you when you said, "I think if you had stated your qualifications up front you probably would have gotten more useful answers.
I think you might be better off choosing between doing the loop and offering a place of respite and meditation for the clergy. The logistics of it will prove too difficult."

Based upon your stated plan, I think it will take more than 2 years to complete the loop.
If you keep returning to A, that is double the time with no progress.

Dock fees and fuel costs will eat you alive. Then there is the scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.

The crew?? Two young ladies.... Their lives will change, as they mature, and may want to leave, return home to socialize or go off on another adventure. They are not unpaid indentured servants. I am not so sure the parents, of the granddaughter, will be pleased to have their daughter going off for years.
Home schooling is a very real possibility, if one of you satisfy the requirements.