Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
4 Deer rescued at sea by Alaskan boater

This is a heart-warming story of man and animal.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: 4 Deer rescued at sea by Alaskan boater

A great story - thanks for sharing!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Couldn't agree more - that was great and with a good ending.
flagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

It's funny how often deer will cross*channels from one Island to another.* Most recently this summer we were anchored*in Padella Bay near Anacortes, crabbing and had a doe and fawn swim under the bow of the boat. They were*heading from Saddle Bag to Hat Island probably 1.5 miles.**

Another time we thought we were seeing a deadhead with branches drifting across our bow, only to discover as we got closer it was a large buck with*horns swimming across the channel.

LB
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Interestingly, that same week end that Tom (our dock neighbor in Juneau) saved those deer, we saw two other deer swimming from Admrialty Island towards* Douglass Island.* They were mid channel, and at first looked like logs, but closer examination proved them to be deer.* I headed their way, but my wife's daughter insisted we leave them alone and not harass them, so I headed away. About that time, they changed their minds, and headed back to Admrialty.* No idea if they made, but I imagine they did.*

We have also seen swimming moose, bears, and even wolves in Alaska.* I guess sometimes the pasture really does look greener on the next island.......Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:
We have also seen swimming moose, bears, and even wolves in Alaska.*
On*many of our floatplane trips to SE Alaska we reserve a Forest Service cabins*on a lake in*Misty Fiords National Park.* These cabins come with an aluminum skiff and the Beaver is big enough to let us carry a 6hp outboard in addition to all our other stuff.

We were out on a lake fishing one time*when we spotted a bear swimming across the lake.* We motored over next to him, shut off the motor and rowed along beside him about twenty feet away.* Other than glancing at us every now and then the bear ignored us and kept*paddling along at an easy pace*on the same course.* It was pretty impressive to watch an animal this big at such close range*chug so*effortlessly through the water.* As he approached the shore we veered off and back into deeper water so as not to disturb his climbing out or to give him (or her) an opportunity to charge us one he got his footing.* He plodded out into the grassy flat on shore and shook hiimself like*a giant dog, sending a huge shower of water in all directions.* Of course, I didn't have a camera with me.....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
4 Deer rescued at sea by Alaskan boater

While fly fishing on a tributary that flows in to Hood Bay, (Admiralty Island)

My wife and I saw these Brown Bears working their way up stream. (in our direction) A sow and 3 cubs. I had been catching Dollies like crazy but thought I'd better leave the shoreline to the bears and so I retreated into the high grass. I had my Cannon digital SLR and layed down in the grass and shot these pictures.

1) Notice the little runt on the extreme right.

2) Mom doing a little fishing

3) Getting too curious

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 16th of December 2011 10:31:04 PM
Attached Thumbnails
img_0105.jpg   img_0109.jpg   img_0101.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Walt;

Greaat shots. I hope you had a very long lens and an exit strategy for when the sow got wind of your position. The only time I was ever that close to a Grizzly, I had the advantage of being with a companion who I could outrun. Luckily the bear never got wind of our position.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
koliver wrote:
I hope you had a very long lens and an exit strategy for when the sow got wind of your position.
******* Keith:

******* I had a telephoto lens (not the best) but the Brownies were no more than 30 yards from us. The sow knew we were there but didn't view us as a threat since we were laying down in the grass, shooting both video (wife) and stills, (me). Here's a shot of my wife with the bears in the background. Although the photo makes it look like they were far away, they were not. Much like watching a point after attempt or a pass in football. The distance of the kick/pass looks much farther on TV than it really is. I'll admit to my heart pounding like it was going to jump out of my chest. After I shot the photo of the young boar that was looking at us, he started to move in our direction. I stood up and in a sharp voice, said NO! He scampered back to the water's edge to join the sow and other cubs. Not once did the sow show any concern for us being there. I shall not attempt to repeat that in the future.

My wife's & my hobbies include lots of wildlife photography. We have hundreds of photos of mule deer, elk, prong horn, bear, (black & grizzly) white tails, black tails, javalina, etc.

I have hunted a lot of big game in my life but there's nothing harder than trying to get a great photo of a wild animal.
Attached Thumbnails
renee & bears.jpg   young buck.jpg   black tails.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote