3M security film on boat windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
I wonder if anyone has practical experience with 3M's security film?

My interest stems from scratches in the glass courtesy of the boat yard, which I should have required the yard to fix but didn't. I'm curious if application of the security film would make these very fine scratches that are only visible when the light hits the window just right invisible. I think so, but are there other opinions? Additionally, this product would seem to be an enhancement for off shore use, strengthening the glass against whopper wave damage.

I'll probably try a sample to see what it does to the scratches, but opinions are welcome as well as practical experience.

I have not used that product, but other films over the years have had their own issues with scratching and - eventually - adhesion issues at the edges.

I looked at the link you provided, and that film seems little different than the film already present in laminated "safety" glass (which 3M also makes). And, as far as I can tell, neither of them adds strength - they just keep the broken pieces together. So I wouldn't say that the film itself strengthens glass.

That's just my guess - maybe someone else knows more.

Delfin said:
My interest stems from scratches in the glass courtesy of the boat yard, which I should have required the yard to fix but didn't. I'm curious if application of the security film would make these very fine scratches that are only visible when the light hits the window just right invisible. I think so, but are there other opinions?

Never used that product but have buffed scratches out of glass and chrome with a product I found once at a plumbing store.

Nothins Finer is the product name. I've never found it anywhere since my initial purchase many years ago. I suspect it was a locally made short run product. The base ingredient is oyster shell ground to an almost talcum powder consistency.

I wet it and make a paste to buff with.

The product is applied to the inside. It strengthens the windows as well as capturing broken pieces if it does break

The product is applied to the inside. It strengthens the windows as well as capturing broken pieces if it does break
I am questioning "strengthens" here - their literature says "tough and tear-resistant", but the videos show the glass shattering easily enough - it's just that there's still a membrane behind it that things (like people!) cannot appear to easily penetrate.

The true security film increases the strength by increasing the tensile strength of the glass. I used to install the product and we would have a non filmed piece of glass and you would hit it with a bat and it would break even a light hit. With the film you had to hit it substantially harder to cause a crack. It was a good way to demonstrate. The glass retention is an added benefit

LLumar Window Film Smash & Grab Lab Test - YouTube

The true security film increases the strength by increasing the tensile strength of the glass. I used to install the product and we would have a non filmed piece of glass and you would hit it with a bat and it would break even a light hit. With the film you had to hit it substantially harder to cause a crack. It was a good way to demonstrate. The glass retention is an added benefit

LLumar Window Film Smash & Grab Lab Test - YouTube

I like the fact that they used a guy who was obviously just paroled from San Quentin for the pretend thief.

Can the material be applied to the outside as well, or is it non UV resistant?

to work it has to be on the inside. if the force being applied is from the outside. It is available in tinted as well if you want to go kill two birds with one stone.

Carl,

There is a company in Tacoma that has a name like Gioet and they specialize in fine car products and I know they have a glass polishing product. I tried to Goggle "gioet" but it didn't bring up a hit so I have the spelling wrong.

I'm in Port McNeill right now so I don't have access to their catalog but maybe you can find them. I'll bet they have something that will polish out that glass. I think you'll need their little buffer to do it right.

Ron

Thank you Ron, Refugio and all. I have Griot's bookmarked. I also have a sample of an exterior film made by 3M coming as well and I'll let you know how that looks. I am curious if this type of product could be used offshore in lieu of storm covers.

Thanks again...

I'm curious if application of the security film would make these very fine scratches that are only visible when the light hits the window just right invisible.

Don't know how it would work in glass , but for scratched plastic (plexiglass , lexan) the floor wax for flooring that is not supposed to "need" waxing does great.

Back
Top Bottom