The 36th Americas Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More Americas Cup racing today. US v's Italy. See YouTube link above in MVWeeble's post.

So nice to sit in the A/C, out of the weather and watch the race from above .... those lines pass by quickly.
I notice the chase boats are not always keeping up with the sail boats. LOL
The race was basically won at the start. NZ forced the other boat to 'not the best' position to recover. Tactics

NZ are the holders so don't race until the finals. I think you mean UK?

YouTube of full Day 2 of Prada Cup. Light Air racing - anyone who thinks this is a battle of technology and boats only should watch. That said, very difficult to watch as the coverage always has cockpit chatter going so there's a lot of cross talk with the announcers. Sort of like having a conversation in a crowded bar (pre-covid, remember?)

https://youtu.be/RGkeAGPUBl8

Sorry about the "crowded bar" commentary, its just that we are used to living like that down here in New Zealand. There is also live racing on TV One if you want to hear NZ commentators, however that may be blocked in the US. The boat chatter is interesting, at least 5 crew on Ineos contributing to the sailing decisions.
The decision to use the course in close for land based spectators may have to change. There was solid breeze out in the Gulf yesterday. Also in the very light airs the course needs to be wider to allow enough room to gain speed to gybe in particular when just up on the foils.
American Magic have a real stability problem exiting turns at low speed, the bow lifts and they splash. Most likely the rudder elevators too small in a quest for straight line speed. Ineos have changed to a similar main to TNZ and they certainly have more power in the light.

Basically, the US has lost its races because of crappy starts.
The second loss was complicated by poor positioning and this time the weather but, the primary reason, for the loss, was poor positioning for the start.

Yes the US fell off the foils in both pre starts. Really hard to win the start at displacement speeds.

Thanks for the reminder. I was captivated by the last cup. One of the. Most competitive series ever in sports. Absolutely incredible.

The 2017 finals? Competitive?

Wow, Ineos Team UK have just beaten Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, (ie Italy, in case you didn't get that), by 23 seconds so Uk so far unbeaten. Next today will be US against the Prada, I think. Watch this space.

Last edited:
Oh wow, American Magic capsized..!

During a sudden squall while rounding the last mark, American Magic got caught mid tack & bear-away and capsized while leading, handing the race to Prada. :facepalm: :eek: :nonono:
More racing from Next Friday. Beats watching the cricket, I can tell you. :popcorn:

They won't be able to access that video outside NZ Beejay. Well, I couldn't here in Oz anyway. But they probably can here... stuff.co.nz

Last edited:
Quick 2 min YouTube summary that shows the crash. Tough times for USA. Brits sure have come on strong.

https://youtu.be/xLpJeBMyKA4

Had to snag this screenshot. So far, I've been able to avoid a similar fate in my Willard. Screenshot_20210117-042217.jpeg

Amazing they didn't sink.
Got to release the leeward runner....
111 (2).jpg

Pretty sure no one on the crew carries a rigging knife.

There's also a position on the crew called "flight controller." And the Americans combine the tactician with the grinders too.

If you listened to the chatter going into the turn, they were debating the maneuver as it was known to be difficult. Given they were 500+ meters in front on last leg, surprising they didn't play it a bit safe.

Team USA has not done well all week. Starts have been lackluster and some tactical errors. The format does not tolerate any errors.

Peter

The word around the Viaduct is "make sure your batteries are secured properly".
From the size of the hole in the hull it looks to be correct.
It seems Dean Barker was in the leeward wheel, really someone on the other side of the boat should have been yelling for an ease with that squall upon them.
Not sure how the runners are controlled but that failure clearly didn't help.

I used to crew on Star boats. You only forgot to ease the runner once. Amazing how little control you have when the spreader is touching the water :)

Not looking good for the Americans. Wouldn't break my heart to see either the Brits or Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli make it. Later if for no other reason than it's the only long boat name I like. Especially when Francesco Bruni says it. My wife smiles and sighs when she hears it. As long as it stops there, I'm good.....

Peter

Thanks Pete, I just saw the size of the hole in the hull. I have a few pictures that I will upload. Lots of damage unfortunately but they are extremely resourceful so I wouldn't right them off yet. I think they will know better in a day or two.

From NZ News today....quoting US team principal...

"In the public eye, the America’s Cup is known for its wrangles more than its camaraderie but the events of the past 24 hours, when teams instantly sent their chase boats to help save Patriot from sinking, have reinforced to Hutchinson the special qualities of the cup community.

He described it as “an element of sportsmanship that is the highest level”.

“We have had great support from all the teams … everybody has offered up their services to get Patriot back on the water.

“As competitors, the majority of the time we argue with each other about things that are just about racing sail boats, we argue to get our points across.

“But today you could not come across more sportsmanship or more generous teams than we have around us.

“With all the sincerity in the world, they extended pretty much all the facilities for us to use to rebuild Patriot.”

It appears they will not have her ready for the next round robin this weekend, but will have her ready to race in the best of 7 race repêchage later this month where they can still possibly make it through by beating the second placed challenger. The winner of that then sails a series of finals against the first challenger, at present looking to be Ineos Britannia (UK)

I could not think of anything more irrelevant and elitist than the America's Cup.

I did not know they were still running the America’s Cup! There is nothing so wonderful as watching those majestic vessels gliding along neck and neck! Such beautifully designed and elegant creations of the designers eye for beauty and class.

Oh! ......I just googled the current races, please disregard my previous remarks.

I guess y'all don't like Formula 1 Racing either? Top-level racing - not just Yacht Racing - has always had an elitist tinge to it.

Personally, I find sailboats that can achieve 40-kts boat speed in 8-kts of breeze incredible and potentially highly relevant. There was a point in time when boats could not sail to windward. If you think about it, even that's pretty incredible yet we no longer give it a moment's thought as it's just a known capability over the last few hundred years.

Peter

You mean the parade of cars on a track where it is impossible to pass? Where race results are determined by start position? Yeah, it’s boring.

The only exciting top level world racing series is MotoGP, because it is the only series where the vehicles are narrow enough and the tracks wide enough for constant overtaking.

Last edited:
I guess y'all don't like Formula 1 Racing either? Top-level racing - not just Yacht Racing - has always had an elitist tinge to it.

Personally, I find sailboats that can achieve 40-kts boat speed in 8-kts of breeze incredible and potentially highly relevant. There was a point in time when boats could not sail to windward. If you think about it, even that's pretty incredible yet we no longer give it a moment's thought as it's just a known capability over the last few hundred years.

Peter

What is a foiling catamaran constructed from pure unobtanium highly relevant to? Other foiling catamarans? Certainly not to any recreational sailboats other than one-design bouy racing skiffs for multi-millionaires.

What is a foiling catamaran constructed from pure unobtanium highly relevant to? Other foiling catamarans? Certainly not to any recreational sailboats other than one-design bouy racing skiffs for multi-millionaires.

Minor point - they are monohulls, not catamarans.

There's a lot of seemingly exotic stuff that turns out to be useful. Origins of the Internet itself was four universities on a DARPA grant sharing notes....a bulletin board, not unlike TF. Which is why I said potentially relevant.

In 2013's AC (San Francisco), the first year where crew wore helmets, there was a lot of chatter that the campaigns were too expensive and thus stifled competition. I'm sure that if that proves true, they will modulate the technology requirements.

Peter

Today's unobtanium could be tomorrow's mass market. I could give a tour of my tight-budget racing sailboat and trace the lineage of the design, construction and equipment back to AC campaigns of a generation before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom