Old 10-16-2022, 07:59 PM   #1

City: pawtucket
36 or 42 GB classic single or twins?

Im a noob yes, ive been out of the water for a bit over 20yrs. But ive been on the water with friends and some work here and there (yes im an auto mechanic and specialize in electrical)

Ill be purchasing a GB within the next month. Ive got about 6-8 to go and check out all over. (east coast to the missi to florida to maine)

My question is this, ive been aboard both and im wondering what people think of those 2 and what comparisons there are between the 2. I know people will tell me what about a marine trader or whater,,, Doc gave me a certain amount of time so i dont have time. Please skip the "if you get this model or that model youll get this and that" im getting a 36 or 42 gb classic. PERIOD!!

Im not much of pack rat and i dont really make messes. I will be 99.9% solo on all my runs (possible loop journey for my last hurrah)

Ive been lurking on here for a few months and things are getting serious with me now so i got to get the ball rolling. Your opinions on fuel between the single and twin. Maintenance and working on the twins between the 36 and 42. I replaced a port starter on an early 80's and it wasnt too fun but not too bad. but still a pain.

Wondering what the differences are between the singles and twins while underway. I know the docking aspect of them,,, if i get a single 100% bow thruster. Ive got the boats kinda lined up already. All late 70's and early 80's.

My only real fear is the fuel tanks. I know they are expensive to replace. There is an 85 that im looking at that the owner told me he gets his scoped every year to get a good idea on how well his tank is holding up. Any info on this would be much appreciated as well. (my opinion is thats a tough call either way but what do i know)

So yeah, if you guys dont mind taking a few minutes i really appreciate it. Remember im only doing this for a couple to 4 yrs at max. I want what i want because i just do. Knowing im probably not gonna see 50 i want to at least say i did what I wanted to do,,, wrong or right! If its sooner,,, fill the tanks and sail to europe. ( out of everyones way)

thanks again guys
Eli27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
which boat you get or even single, or twin should be secondary on your priority list

given that you need to get on the water ASAP i would choose the boat thats in the best condition for your budget and is ready to sail.

Having said that my personal favorite is a single engine with a Truster.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Scrimshaw
Vessel Model: 1990 GB 42 Classic
New 42' owner here - I agree with other posters - find a well maintained boat - ready to sail/cruise and buy it. Single with thruster versus twin is likely to be a discussion with no end!

The 42' has a lot of room - definitely a plus if you expect to have sleep-aboard guests. However, at least in the PNW - there are places where it's too big and harder to get slips, mooring balls, etc (a 42' is really 45' LOA).

We looked at 6-8 boats before settling on the one we purchased - sometimes its the small things - like queen walk-around versus twin beds in the main cabin. Or whether you feel like having just one escape door in the salon is fine versus 2.

As for fuel tanks, leaking windows, and other classic GB issues - get a good survey.
jwag956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:22 PM   #5

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli27 View Post
Im a noob yes, ive been out of the water for a bit over 20yrs. But ive been on the water with friends and some work here and there (yes im an auto mechanic and specialize in electrical)

Ill be purchasing a GB within the next month. Ive got about 6-8 to go and check out all over. (east coast to the missi to florida to maine)

My question is this, ive been aboard both and im wondering what people think of those 2 and what comparisons there are between the 2. I know people will tell me what about a marine trader or whater,,, Doc gave me a certain amount of time so i dont have time. Please skip the "if you get this model or that model youll get this and that" im getting a 36 or 42 gb classic. PERIOD!!

Im not much of pack rat and i dont really make messes. I will be 99.9% solo on all my runs (possible loop journey for my last hurrah)

Ive been lurking on here for a few months and things are getting serious with me now so i got to get the ball rolling. Your opinions on fuel between the single and twin. Maintenance and working on the twins between the 36 and 42. I replaced a port starter on an early 80's and it wasnt too fun but not too bad. but still a pain.

Wondering what the differences are between the singles and twins while underway. I know the docking aspect of them,,, if i get a single 100% bow thruster. Ive got the boats kinda lined up already. All late 70's and early 80's.

My only real fear is the fuel tanks. I know they are expensive to replace. There is an 85 that im looking at that the owner told me he gets his scoped every year to get a good idea on how well his tank is holding up. Any info on this would be much appreciated as well. (my opinion is thats a tough call either way but what do i know)

So yeah, if you guys dont mind taking a few minutes i really appreciate it. Remember im only doing this for a couple to 4 yrs at max. I want what i want because i just do. Knowing im probably not gonna see 50 i want to at least say i did what I wanted to do,,, wrong or right! If its sooner,,, fill the tanks and sail to europe. ( out of everyones way)

thanks again guys
Good question, but likely to get answers all over the spectrum. I have a GB 36, single screw/engine. I hunted for it. My girl and I would like a GB 42 with a single screw, island double/queen, with stabilization. Stabilization is not available in most GB's, so I would live with the rest of what I want. A single screw is also rare in a GB 42, but supposedly available from time to time in the PNW. If anyone knows of one for sale, please advise asap. I just hate not being to get around the engine room with twins in a 42, or even the single in a 36. I have to hire out so much stuff to 20-40 year-olds 'cause they can get around down there. At 71 years, I cannot. So I guess age and flexibility is an issue. I'm half-way handy, so if I could get there I could do it. Twins makes that impossible for me.

And the island berth is really enticing. The double berth against the hull is really difficult to both change sheets, and for someone to get out of the bed in the middle of the night over someone else.

Why pay twice for two tractor engines, about the most reliable engines in the world, when one will do? If you are coast wise, you only need one engine and some reasonable tow in coverage, which I have never needed in my lifetime. If you're crossing oceans, maybe a different approach.
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero II View Post
Good question, but likely to get answers all over the spectrum. I have a GB 36, single screw/engine. I hunted for it. My girl and I would like a GB 42 with a single screw, island double/queen, with stabilization. Stabilization is not available in most GB's, so I would live with the rest of what I want. A single screw is also rare in a GB 42, but supposedly available from time to time in the PNW. If anyone knows of one for sale, please advise asap. I just hate not being to get around the engine room with twins in a 42, or even the single in a 36. I have to hire out so much stuff to 20-40 year-olds 'cause they can get around down there. At 71 years, I cannot. So I guess age and flexibility is an issue. I'm half-way handy, so if I could get there I could do it. Twins makes that impossible for me.

And the island berth is really enticing. The double berth against the hull is really difficult to both change sheets, and for someone to get out of the bed in the middle of the night over someone else.

Why pay twice for two tractor engines, about the most reliable engines in the world, when one will do? If you are coast wise, you only need one engine and some reasonable tow in coverage, which I have never needed in my lifetime. If you're crossing oceans, maybe a different approach.

That is one of the downfalls, all the GBs im looking at are double berthed. i dont really plan on doing anything serious off shore. Just putt around the loop for 6-12 months and just see some of America from a different angle.

My other issue is pricing. Ive seen such huge swings in pricing. Not sure if the 100k is worth it but the 80k is for fairly the same boat but would i be totally out of line offering 70k to the 100k knowing the 80k will sell for 70k.

Not sure what the formula is for negotiating on boats of this price range.
there is a 42 for 139k down the road from me but then in maryland the same boat is 89k. I feel like if i told the 139k ill give you 85k id be slapping him the face. Where as the 89k will probably say yes to bank check in hand of 80k. Ya know?!?!
Old 10-16-2022, 10:56 PM   #7

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
I'd vote for a 36 with a single and stall shower. Here's why:
-the 42 is a big boat and would be a challenge at times for the "average boater" to singlehand
-42 probably has more space than you need
-42s pretty much all have twins, it's rare to find a single so you'll have more cost maintaining twins
-I think 42s have plenty of space to do maintenance on both engines
-42 has more overall expenses that may not be worth it for your needs
-twins in a 36 is pretty tight, too tight for my taste
-since you are mechanic I am assuming you could keep a single engine in top shape which would minimize breakdowns and the fear of only one engine
-I think changing fuel tanks on a 36 single would be less expensive than a 42 with twins
-Stall showers are a plus for living aboard or extended cruising
-nice to have a thruster in a single but can be added for around 10k. I'd pick the best overall boat first then figure out what needs to be added like a thruster. I'd rather buy a solid boat with no thruster vs. boat with thruster that has rot or a ton of deferred maintenance.

Good luck on your search!
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
I'd vote for a 36 with a single and stall shower. Here's why:
-the 42 is a big boat and would be a challenge at times for the "average boater" to singlehand
-42 probably has more space than you need
-42s pretty much all have twins, it's rare to find a single so you'll have more cost maintaining twins
-I think 42s have plenty of space to do maintenance on both engines
-42 has more overall expenses that may not be worth it for your needs
-twins in a 36 is pretty tight, too tight for my taste
-since you are mechanic I am assuming you could keep a single engine in top shape which would minimize breakdowns and the fear of only one engine
-I think changing fuel tanks on a 36 single would be less expensive than a 42 with twins
-Stall showers are a plus for living aboard or extended cruising
-nice to have a thruster in a single but can be added for around 10k. I'd pick the best overall boat first then figure out what needs to be added like a thruster. I'd rather buy a solid boat with no thruster vs. boat with thruster that has rot or a ton of deferred maintenance.

Good luck on your search!

I have to admit i am considering the 36 for exactly what you said. I can take a look at the engine and say ya know what,,, lets change all the hoses and coolers and belt just to be on the safe side along with changing all fluids and be done with it.

I was think of that only for sole purpose of the only thing i need to worry about engine wise (hopefully) is changing oils.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:08 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
You would be happy with either. Running solo 99.9% of the time I suggest the 36. It has what the 42 has but you do not need the extra space. I had the 36 for wife and I as it was my bucket list boat to get. But it was too small for two of us when weather kept us inside. Then when we had another couple, too crowded. The 42 option did not enter the picture as the walk around deck takes do much livable space. I have operated single screw but prefer the twins without thruster.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Condition can vary widely which should explain the price range for seemingly same model (emphasis on 'should' - crazy market out there). Unfortunately, pictures are nearly meaningless - you simply have to go out and see the boats.

Sounds like there is an early expiration date stamped on you for some reason. Condition of the vessel will have a much greater impact on your cruising happiness than whether its 36 or 42 footer, single or twin.

But to answer your question, given a choice, I'd go with a single 36. There is plenty of room and they really are a sweet handling boat. Second would be a 42 footer which invariably comes with twins. Last choice would be a twin 36 footer simply because engines are tight. But I would take a great condition 36-twin over an average condition 42 or 36-single. Well maintained boats also sell well when the time comes

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:41 AM   #11
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
We are very happy with our 36 that we have owned for 4 years. It’s a single Lehman 135 with 3300 hrs. At 66 years old I still do all of my own work. Easy accessibility was a must. Has the original tanks and decks which are in good shape. Uses well under 3 gallons of fuel per hour cruising at 7.5 to 8 knots. Changing fuel tanks if the time comes will be much easier with just one engine in the way. The boat handles very well without using the bow thruster. We enclosed the flybridge on 3 sides which in my opinion takes away from the look but adds a nice additional living space. Having chartered several 42’s and 36’s, both singles and twins, we knew that the 36 single was the right boat for us. As Peter stated above condition is everything when looking at a 40 year old boat. When this one became available we jumped on it.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli27 View Post
My other issue is pricing. Ive seen such huge swings in pricing. Not sure if the 100k is worth it but the 80k is for fairly the same boat but would i be totally out of line offering 70k to the 100k knowing the 80k will sell for 70k.

Not sure what the formula is for negotiating on boats of this price range.
there is a 42 for 139k down the road from me but then in maryland the same boat is 89k. I feel like if i told the 139k ill give you 85k id be slapping him the face. Where as the 89k will probably say yes to bank check in hand of 80k. Ya know?!?!

There isn't really a formula. The boat is worth to you what it's worth -- to you. The boat is worth to the seller what it's worth to the seller, usually more because they're often a bit overly proud of their baby, or at least hope to maximize their return.

(If there's a "Covid tax" applied, the seller may have tacked on some "get rich quick" money. AKA they ask an "I really want to keep it" price.)

That said, sellers often don't want to price themselves out of the market, so even if they're asking price is high, it may well be within the bounds of reason and not overly ghastly. After all, some (many?) buyers actually DO want to sell their boat.

You'll just have to evaluate each boat on it's own merits. How's it look, how well has it been kept... relative to other similar boats? (Ranking sometimes helps.) Does it have the features you want? Et cetera...

There are LOTS of threads here on single vs. twin engines; you could review those.

FWIW, were it me, I'd choose the larger boat, with walk-around bed and minimal stairs. Depends on condition. The rest is just details.

-Chris
Old 10-17-2022, 07:07 AM   #13
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
I am terribly sorry to hear of your bad news but admire your plan to enjoy the rest as best possible.

I would prioritize a boat that currently in routine use above all else. Some great loopers sell their boat immediately upon completion. I would ensure the boat has a fresh oil change, water impellers, belts and just take off. I would avoid any major preventative projects, you don't want to find a surprise and end up waiting for parts.

I would request that the current owner run the boat with you for at least one day to cut your learning curve and see that the boat is functional, make it a condition of the offer and demonstrate your sense of urgency with an immediate deposit.

Every boat could use some improvement or repair but you just need it to be sound. If the boat runs smoothly (not running hot, good oil pressure, smooth drive line) and there are no surprises underway, I would close without a survey and insure with Progressive who don't seem to require them. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone one else but your situation is different Blisters, soft decks, minor window leaks, old electronics are not a concern for you, they can be someone else's problems and can be lived with for another year. Best of luck.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:09 AM   #14
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Size-wise, I'd definitely look at both a 36 and a 42 in person. There's a huge size difference between them. And later models of both (after some time in the late 80s) are slightly larger than the earlier models.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #15

City: Port Hope
With your intention to single hand, you may want to choose a boat that has a port side door to allow quicker access to the port side. These are mostly standard on 42's, hit or miss on 36's.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A 42 looks just like a 36 but everything is bigger, and uses twice+ as much fuel. A 36 is big enough for a couple to loop in comfortably so solo will be spacious. Go single with your needs and qualifications. As said above, quality over quantity.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:06 AM   #17
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Our boat was the highest priced boat that we looked at. It was in very good condition and very well maintained. I knew I wasn’t going to find skeletons all over the boat. We paid asking price then and there. If we did pay too much it has paid us back already in use and enjoyment. There are a lot of variables in condition with a 30-40 year old boat and a lot of boats on the market that will suck you dry. Saving 20K up front could cost you double that quickly. If you find a good one buy it. Sounds like we live in the same neck of the woods. If I can be of help send me a PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You say you have already done a port side starter. What could be any more awkward to get at than that? I haven't yet, and I have had my twins for 28 years. Access to the off side stuff just doesn't happen that frequently, so really is a spurious argument against twins, outweighed 100 to 1 by the better maneuverability advantages of twins. Fuel economy depends way more on how fast you go. Keep that stern wave under control and you will get almost the same mpg with either. Some with twins are always succumbing to the temptation to use that extra speed, so use a lot more fuel.
Tanks fail. There are fixes that don't break the bank and fixes that are silly expensive. Until you have that problem, rely on your survey.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:26 AM   #19
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
You say you have already done a port side starter. What could be any more awkward to get at than that? I haven't yet, and I have had my twins for 28 years. Access to the off side stuff just doesn't happen that frequently, so really is a spurious argument against twins, outweighed 100 to 1 by the better maneuverability advantages of twins. Fuel economy depends way more on how fast you go. Keep that stern wave under control and you will get almost the same mpg with either. Some with twins are always succumbing to the temptation to use that extra speed, so use a lot more fuel.
Tanks fail. There are fixes that don't break the bank and fixes that are silly expensive. Until you have that problem, rely on your survey.
Single vs twin suitability really depends on the boat. On some boats twins fit well, on others they're squeezed in. Some boats are better powered with one setup vs the other, others used smaller twins and are appropriately powered either way. It really depends.

A GB36 isn't a particularly wide boat, so I could see twins being a tight squeeze, especially without knowing off-hand what else is stuffed into the engine room. At the same time, I've got no issues with access to my twins (and a single wouldn't be that much better in my boat). But my boat is almost 1.5 feet wider than a GB36 (closer to 1 foot for the later widened versions IIRC). And I don't have tanks or anything mounted outboard of the engines, so there's about 2.5 feet of space to work on each outboard side (and about the same between the engines).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
We have a 36 single. I can easily work on the engine and pull the tranny in under two hours.

It has a bow thruster, which I use a lot. It takes a lot of shifts out of the tranny.

You will have a tough time moving a 42 around by hand, a 36 is much easier. For one person a 36 is plenty big.

Look for a well maintained boat. Hours are not as critical as maintenance.

You will know it when you see it.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote