Old 06-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
33 Pacemaker diesel-a decent deal?

While we are hauled out for bottom painting at Chesapeake Cove Marina in Deltaville Va, I snapped a couple of pictures of this Pacemaker Iíve noticed thatís been for sale for a while. It seems like a decent price for a twin cabin diesel ďtrawlerĒ. It seems to be in pretty decent shape on the outside and ready to go with a later model radar, a gas grill and a Walker Bay dink with Weaver davits. If anyone is thinking about dipping their feet into the trawler lifestyle, this one seems to me like it might be a good one to consider without a huge investment.
Weíre going back tomorrow to finish our boat so Iíll grab the ladder and climb up to take some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5880.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	103477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5881.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	103478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5883.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	103479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5884.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	103480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5885.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	103481  

Name:	IMG_5887.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	103482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5888.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	103483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5879.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	103484  

Old 06-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Looks like a headache to me at any cost. You could pour a million bucks into it and still have a 50 year old Pacemaker. I wouldn't be worth the asking price If they gave it to you IMO.

GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Fair Play
Vessel Model: 1960 Taley 40' cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Looks like a headache to me at any cost. You could pour a million bucks into it and still have a 50 year old Pacemaker. I wouldn't be worth the asking price If they gave it to you IMO.
So glad you are able to tell from a couple of pictures the shape a boat is in and what it needs.

Yes, it's a $25k boat and will never be worth a lot but the OP posted it in case someone was looking for a cheap boat. May be a prize or a pig but not everyone is looking to drop a small fortune on a depreciating asset. If you're not interested, don't look. Your comment reeks of snobbery
alesnloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesnloggers View Post
So glad you are able to tell from a couple of pictures the shape a boat is in and what it needs.

Yes, it's a $25k boat and will never be worth a lot but the OP posted it in case someone was looking for a cheap boat. May be a prize or a pig but not everyone is looking to drop a small fortune on a depreciating asset. If you're not interested, don't look. Your comment reeks of snobbery
Ha ha thanks...yes to me it seemed a bit petty to critique my post since I was just throwing it out there in case someone was looking for a cheap way to get into boating. If nothing else, it's always fun for me to look at pictures of other boats to get fresh ideas for ours! I was checking out the way the radar is mounted with a hinge at the base. The hardware for the antenna mount alone must've been $1000. I guess they used the folding option for the loop since the for sale sign says it's been done twice already. Who knows? Maybe it's a turn-key boat someone did the loop in a couple of times and now want to let it go! I bet the owner would be happy for any offer!
We'll see tomorrow when we go back what the decks and interior look like. We're not in the market but like I mentioned, I always like looking at what others have done.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:57 AM   #5

City: MalmŲ
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
My Dad had a 1968 34' Pacemaker DCMY, which he kept on Lake Ontario in Rochester, NY. He bought it used when it was about 7 years old. It certainly had a lot of room for the length and a very nice ride in choppy seas. However...

It was wood (mahogany), with all the rub-rail and transom dry rot problems experienced by many fresh-water Pacemakers of that era. While I know the boat in question here is fiberglass, I just wanted to let you know that my Dad's boat spent more time on land with work being done on it than in the water...and this was not only due to the wood. So many things seemed to need an excessive amount of attention. My point? If I were considering this 1971 Pacemaker for purchase (or gift), I would look it over with a fine-toothed comb. Possibly even have it surveyed. I think Pacemaker would still have been in the early part of the learning curve with fiberglass construction at that time. If they didn't do any better at caulking joints in 1971 than in 1968, I would be concerned about leaks and weak superstructure (if balsam core were used, for example). I am no Pacemaker expert, but I spent so much of my time back then helping my Dad repair things on a Pacemaker of that era that I felt obligated to say something here. For what it's worth, the gas engines (I think they were Crusaders) were never any problem...but the fuel tanks were.

So, while GH41 is being raked over the coals here for the wording of his post, I couldn't agree with him more. The prospective new owner would need to give SERIOUS consideration as to the size of the "expense stream" he would be buying. If he's clever at fixing and repairing things, with some marine knowledge and lots of time, it might be a good deal. If all the work needed to be done by a boat yard and other contractors, then deep pockets and a lot of patience would be required.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Guru

So today after we finished our boat we drug the ladder over and climbed up on the Pacemaker.
Hereís what we foundClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5896.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	103549
Kind of a cool bridge with molded-in steps to access it on both sides

Name:	IMG_5898.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	103550
Below was stuff piled everywhere but decent electronics at the lower helm. Zero rot around the windows and no evidence of water damage. The windows must have been replaced because the paint looks new and they have the screens...something I wish I could say about our boat!

Name:	IMG_5902.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	103551Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5903.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	103552Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5904.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	103553Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5906.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	103554
The generator seems to be a later model one but the engines are probably original. They actually look good but I donít have a clue what make they are. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5907.JPG
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	103555Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5908.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	103556Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5909.JPG
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	103557

Aft stateroom has good space with 2 bunks but my gripe is the wet head. We like a separate shower. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5912.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	103558
Old 06-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Guru

Name:	IMG_5918.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	103559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5920.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	103560Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5919.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	103561
The decks seem ok and not spongy. It has an anchor windlass but anyone can see itís the wrong anchor!
Old 06-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Looks like the BMW/VM Motori engine. Hard to get parts for. A bit of a deal killer there.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
Guru

Ok , Iíve had my fun & am done with looking at other peopleís boats ...now itís time for us to start using ours!
I just thought it might be fun to showcase a boat that we happened across. Itís not exactly what we wouldíve wanted when we started shopping older used trawlers a few years ago but we might wouldíve given it a shot if it was available when we were looking, though Iím not too sure about the engines it has.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Looks like the BMW/VM Motori engine. Hard to get parts for. A bit of a deal killer there.
Yeah for real! I would have to think hard about purchasing a boat with engines I've never even seen before.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Boom
I trust the owner gave permission for the boarding and posting pictures.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #12

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Boom
I trust the owner gave permission for the boarding and posting pictures.
I doubt it. Looks like he is trespassing and impersonating a yacht broker. I can hear it now... Officer, I just drug my ladder over there to have a look and decided to take a few pictures and post them to help make a sale. The whole story sounds like BS to me.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think Boomerang is in the marine trades, so might have a clue.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #14
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Shawn

I think you did a good thing. Owner never needs to know. Don't think he'd care anyway... there's nothing bad to report. And, you just may have sold the boat for him. You helped for the sale at very least.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
Guru

Sunchaser, the boat wasn't locked , it's not listed by a broker and it has a big for sale sign hanging from the transom so I figured there was no harm done by me peeking inside and taking a couple of pictures. I'm friends with the owner of the yard where it's on the hard and most folks in the area know me. I didn't go digging through lockers or drawers; the only hatch I opened was the engine hatch. I wouldn't have a problem with folks looking at our boat if it were for sale!
Old 06-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #16

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
I doubt it. Looks like he is trespassing and impersonating a yacht broker. I can hear it now... Officer, I just drug my ladder over there to have a look and decided to take a few pictures and post them to help make a sale. The whole story sounds like BS to me.
You have got to be kidding! What a BS post you wrote! Someone in the marine trades takes the time to post a boat for sale with no negative or positive opinions and with no underlying motives and that's your contribution to the thread? Sit down!

David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote