3 gal OB fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crossroads

Vessel Name
Crossroads
Vessel Make
North Pacific 34
Ive got to replace my 3 gallon OB fuel tank due to cracking. In the past, Ive removed it from the dinghy before tilting up the RIB on Weaver davits. Are there any portable tanks out there that seal well enough to leave it in the vented forward locker while tilted?

Is this as bad an idea as I first thought?

Thanks.

Yes, bad idea.

Ted

I used to have a 3 gallon gas tank for the dinghy on a previous boat. We put on a Seawise davit that tilted the dinghy up on it’s side. The 3 gallon tank was shaped like an L so that when it was tilted the gas would flow up into the tip of the L tank with the filler on the up end. It never leaked since the gas never came up near the filler. We had the tank strapped down semi permanently. It worked great. I got the tank from a dinghy shop in San Diego.

For something that light you should be able to make a gimble mount. Maybe put some simple shim under it for when you are using the dink, it will take the pressure off the mount when you hit a wave.

pete

Yes, that is the one. The raised L portion lets some fuel into it as you tilt the boat up so it won’t leak out the filler. Mine worked great.

Well, it may have been a different brand tank, but it was shaped like the one in your link.

Yes, they work great for a tilting dinghy hoist.

Ive got two of those, both came with Tohatsu motors. One is cracked, the other is severely UV faded. Both say Tohatsu on the side, but both say manufactured by Scepter on the bottom.

Im going to try tilting with a new one. Ive got a leak detection system (of sorts) built in...my gas grill is mounted three feet away:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom