So 2023 cruising season begins!!!

https://seattleboatshow.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:36 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Wow, all those exhibitors, and I could only come up with 4 that I was remotely interested in checking out . . .
Old 01-12-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well, save you entry fee then. It is also about atmosphere and just having fun....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Wow, all those exhibitors, and I could only come up with 4 that I was remotely interested in checking out . . .
I've never understood the concept of paying to enter a place where everyone tries to sell you something.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You are paying a small fee so you can gather information in two hours that would otherwise require days and gallons of fuel to acquire.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I remember going to the Seattle Boat Show in the Kingdome. That was a big deal back then.

Saw my first Sam Devlin Boat there: Czarinna. I was hooked, new drug. Was like first fusion ignition reaction.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:59 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Yep, times have certainly changed since the KIngdome shows!
Old 01-13-2023, 05:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
I've never understood the concept of paying to enter a place where everyone tries to sell you something.
Sometimes the cost of entry is worth the access to the "boat show specials", also known as significant cost savings on equipment. And they have stickers!!
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #9
Guru

City: Los Angeles
For this crowd, Anacortes is a better fit just 3 months later:
https://anacortesboatandyachtshow.com
Old 01-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
I think the same thing every time I got to a county or state fair.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Spirit Bear
Vessel Model: North Sea Trawler
We don’t sell anything! I speak as the voice of the Pacific Northwest chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society. We are fortunate to get a “leftover space”, usually in front of a loading door, we usually display a couple mahogany runabouts. This year you will see a 1958 Chris craft “silver arrow “ , their first adventure with a fiberglass decked boat, and tail fins! We will have our kiddy boat there, “Bobber “. Do you remember the one out front of the grocery store that you put a nickel in? Bring your grandkids for a free ride!
Ron Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:31 AM   #12

City: Cincinnti, Ohio
Quote:
I've never paid to get into a boat show. Sign-up on a lot of email and/or VIP lists. Inquire about buying boats from exhibitors prior to the show and they send you free tickets. The wife and I have also been to many after hours private parties.

We don't buy. But its just good FUN.
drblank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:49 AM   #13
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
You are paying a small fee so you can gather information in two hours that would otherwise require days and gallons of fuel to acquire.
Exactly! It’s also a voyage of discovery for new products to the market as well as for stuff you didn’t know you needed.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #14

Some (including Seattle Boat Show) also have an in-water aspect with new and for-sale boats. Last time we went on many fascinating boats either confirming that they were not for us ... or that we wished we hadn't seen LOL (new Fleming). Great way to tour many real vessels and meet many brokers and manufacturers with virtually zero expectation or pressure.
sjisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:47 PM   #15

Vessel Name: Sababa
Vessel Model: Maritimo 52
I’ve visited both the docks and the exhibit hall now and there wasn’t much to interest me from a trawler perspective.

Most of the boats afloat are go-fast pleasure palaces, many of them with cheesy euro-style interiors full of shoddy join work and sharp corners with no hand holds and lots of fabric upholstery that you know is going to look ratty in a few years. There were boats I just couldn’t figure out like the Greenline and the Apollonian with two big engines and tiny fuel tanks that wouldn’t get you past Nanaimo at their advertised cruising speed. I literally couldn’t get an answer about range from the Greenline rep.

The North Pacific guys had a nice boat for its target use and there was a pretty ten year old Krogan that wasn’t for sale. The Aspen cats are clever and the way Ranger managed to shoehorn a basement with a laundry and a freezer under the hydraulically lifting dinette in their new 43 was impressive, though not impressive enough to overlook the iffy fit and finish and the IPS drives.

The exhibit hall was 95% devoted to ski and fishing boats, personal watercraft, and related kit. Very little to interest a long range cruiser. I see more cool new stuff for our set on an average trip to Fisheries Supply than I did at the show. Latest stabilisation tech, solar and power systems, nav and comm electronics, pick any product category that people tend to chat about on these forums, mostly wasn’t there.

Despite the overall disappointment, I was glad to have the opportunity to make a late entry in the “most creative uses for Mantus rail clamps” that their rep told me about. (See my rescue block and tackle setup below). And I did pry out of the Aspen Cat guy that they have some preliminary drawings for 45 and 50+ foot versions floating around, though no current plans to move to production. So not a completely wasted trip.
Attached Thumbnails
A4CDDC75-3959-4783-8F1B-9EACB650095C.jpg  
Sababa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:13 PM   #16

I went to the floating exhibits today and agree that there was very little for trawler folks. Two American Tug 49s and that was about all (well, and a Fleming 65). Much less than some other years and events. I did enjoy seeing Aspen's new semi-catamaran dinghy.

On the other hand, I also somewhat take that as good news about the strength of the trawler market. There's nothing to show!

I remember in 2019, I think, when the Nordic Tug rep had no boat to show, just a table -- and they haven't been back since, as everything is selling so well. Similarly for KK, Selene, Nordhavn, American Tug, Helmsman, etc -- seems that if they are there at all lately, they have a brokerage boat or an off-market vessel just to be there. I do respect the ones who show up somehow, because it's nice to meet folks.

Still I feel ok about going. Good reason to look forward to Trawler Fest
Old 02-08-2023, 06:40 PM   #17

I forgot to mention the American Tug 485. I love that boat. Got a tour of one from a couple tied up across the dock from me at Baranof Warm Springs in the summer of 2021. They had a new Nordhavn building and I told them to call me when it was time to unload the tug, but sadly they didn’t follow through. The rep who was on board the show boat knew who I was talking about and said that boat sold within thirty minutes of hitting the dock. Sigh.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:22 PM   #18

Agreed about AT 485 (and all their boats for that matter). And one of the two 485s there today was particularly nice in my opinion, with custom finish work and details all around.

One bit of news I got talking with Larry Graf at Aspen is that one of the (thankfully few) remaining supply issues is stainless tubing (rails). Delayed, much more expensive, and also almost all produced outside the US now.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:35 PM   #19

I think one was actually a 49 and the other (the one I think you liked) was a 485. The 485 has the step up from the pilot house to the boat deck with seating up there aft of the stack. But for this and maybe a few small other nice touches they are the same boat.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:54 PM   #20

Oh, right! Got lazy on the models. Specifically one of them said "49 Limited" if I recall (don't know what the "limited" part means, all their boats are more or less made to order, I think. Sounds nice, though )