2021 Cruising Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Lets make one or two assumptions.

Actually just the one BIG one.

The vaccines take hold, regulations are relaxed to the extent that we can cruise unhindered. Let's just pretend that we are in 2019 (or unlimited in 2021).

What are your cruising plans for next year?

For us?

A couple of local cruises from St Augustine to Cumberland Island in January and February.

Then three months in the far Bahamas late February through May.

Home for a month. Visit the children.

Then the Down East Loop July through September.

After that, pull back on the boating even though we would not normally, just to focus on more family stuff that we have missed this year. Even a trip to Ireland and the UK to see people that we have missed.

And then just relax in the fall.

Ready to go again in 2022.

Last edited:
The Kitlope, Foch Lagoon, & the Estevan Group (and points in between)...all north coast BC...with no time constraints...I'm retired now :D

Inside Passage - lots of wandering around in BC and SE AK.

Gruissan, France to Malta via the Italian coast, taking in Corsica, Elba, Sardinia and Sicily. This was supposed to have been 2020's trip.

And yes, Menzies, you are right. It's a BIG assumption and a BIG "IF".

Hard to say. As the "new norm" is work from home, I may have to revert to working 5 days a week, as opposed to my normal 7 on 7 off.

I used to take 84 hours (1 week) off, and get three weeks time off and I still had every other week to use the boat. If I work from home, I take 80 hours off I get two weeks off and only boat on weekends and evenings. Makes a difference with a slow boat. If I am 5/2, I may forward deploy to Okeover, Lund, or Saltery Bay, to give me more weekend time.

If the border opens, it changes my plans as well, as the hoards will be back in the summer.

Either way, putzing around Desolation Sound area, up to the Broughtons isn't the worst thing.

Ideally, I do the "work from home" thing all winter and spring, and have the boat projects to keep me busy in the evenings. Soft opening of the border, and I return to 7/7 for the spring, so I can get 3 weeks off in spring, summer, and early fall for optimal cruising.

If the economy really turns bad and I am unemployed, well that opens up more lengthy cruising options. :). Maybe, I'd go visit MurrayM...

...Maybe, I'd go visit MurrayM...

Kitimat in itself is no cruising destination, but I call it the little city at roads end perched on the Edge of Paradise.

Lots of wisdom on TF regarding primo spots off the Inside Passage treadmill on BC's north coast, and quite a few off of the Douglas Channel system that not many venture into.

Not sure what's going on this spring/summer/fall regarding our daughter who will be all edumacated up and hitting the Environmental Management work scene. We used to sea kayak in two month segments, so might be 'off line' for several months at a stretch.

Let me know when you're planning to round Cape Caution :thumb:

There is #WFH and #WFB, working from boat. There is a powerful cell tower in Desolation Sound. Just saying..

Kitimat in itself is no cruising destination, but I call it the little city at roads end perched on the Edge of Paradise.

Lots of wisdom on TF regarding primo spots off the Inside Passage treadmill on BC's north coast, and quite a few off of the Douglas Channel system that not many venture into.

Not sure what's going on this spring/summer/fall regarding our daughter who will be all edumacated up and hitting the Environmental Management work scene. We used to sea kayak in two month segments, so might be 'off line' for several months at a stretch.

Let me know when you're planning to round Cape Caution :thumb:
I've spent a few winter/spring months in Kitimat in the Eurocan days.

I would like to visit sometime when the sun is present, whichever week in August that is.

There is #WFH and #WFB, working from boat. There is a powerful cell tower in Desolation Sound. Just saying..
The dichotomy of 7 days at work and 7 days at home is a wonderful thing.

I find WFH distasteful enough. Wouldn't want to contaminate the boat with WFB.

I've spent a few winter/spring months in Kitimat in the Eurocan days.

I would like to visit sometime when the sun is present, whichever week in August that is.

Good thing you didn't come this August...maples turning red, elderberry bushes going yellow, alder dropping leaves, rain, drizzle, rain, bucketing, repeat.

Good thing you didn't come this August...maples turning red, elderberry bushes going yellow, alder dropping leaves, rain, drizzle, rain, bucketing, repeat.

Then again, there's no better time to wander around in a rainforest than in the rain, except maybe in the snow.

Hopefully the coast of Maine provided my wife can get the time off. I am not likely to be able to resume work travel until fall so will be able to work anywhere.

Should she not get significant time we will likely do Nantucket, Vinyard and Cuttyhunk. Also Block Island for race week (hopefully it will not be postponed)

Hoping to get up in the Broughtons.
Always passed them by except anchoring one night.
Since I was a young man I’ve had Kawatsi Bay pegged as a destination.
The same people were running it in 04 per my old Waggoner Guide.
That’s good to see. Perhaps the pancake man is still at Shawl Bay.

My assumption is that the "BIG if" isn't applicable until the second half of the year, and that the first half will be status quo, but hopefully healing. With that in mind, we plan on Puget Sound until mid May, then north to SE AK. I don't think we will be able to get out early enough to run up to PWS. If the "BIG if" comes true, then we will enjoy BC southbound, and probably winter over in BC. Or maybe head to Mexico. Too soon to tell.

Lets make one or two assumptions.

Actually just the one BIG one.

The vaccines take hold, regulations are relaxed to the extent that we can cruise unhindered. Let's just pretend that we are in 2019 (or unlimited in 2021).

What are your cruising plans for next year?

For us?

A couple of local cruises from St Augustine to Cumberland Island in January and February.

Then three months in the far Bahamas late February through May.

Home for a month. Visit the children.

Then the Down East Loop July through September.

After that, pull back on the boating even though we would not normally, just to focus on more family stuff that we have missed this year. Even a trip to Ireland and the UK to see people that we have missed.

And then just relax in the fall.

Ready to go again in 2022.

You plan to leave FL in July and do the Down East Loop (2,700 miles) and get back to Florida in September? That's 5,000+ miles.

Ted

My assumption is that the "BIG if" isn't applicable until the second half of the year, and that the first half will be status quo, but hopefully healing. With that in mind, we plan on Puget Sound until mid May, then north to SE AK. I don't think we will be able to get out early enough to run up to PWS. If the "BIG if" comes true, then we will enjoy BC southbound, and probably winter over in BC. Or maybe head to Mexico. Too soon to tell.

We expect to be on the same program, with the exception that we are starting in Mexico. Hope to see you out there somewhere.

Brought my daughter home from Seattle to Ashland before Thanksgiving. She taught 3rd Grade for 450miles down I-5. Work has certainly been redefined.

You plan to leave FL in July and do the Down East Loop (2,700 miles) and get back to Florida in September? That's 5,000+ miles.

Ted

Down East Loop ends in New York. Not Florida. But, yes, I believe a DEL is doable starting mid-summer and ending mid-fall.

You do not believe that is doable?

Last edited:
A return to Nantucket, an offshore, overnight fishing trip or two, and we were thinking of checking out fishers island this year.

Nothing crazy as we're 9-5 working stiffs with only a couple weeks per year

Down East Loop ends in New York. Not Florida. But, yes, I believe a DEL is doable starting mid-summer and ending mid-fall.

You do not believe that is doable?

Yes I understand that it ends in New York. I was assuming you were going from FL to NY, doing the Loop, and then bringing the boat back to FL, maybe not by the end of September.

Have done some research on doing the trip including information from a few who did it. First it's a lot of distance to cover with a large part in open water. It's my understanding that the navigation around New Brunswick and Nova Scotia is moving from safe harbor to safe harbor. This may limit the miles you cover each day. Then there are weather days when you won't move. Finally, there are a lot of interesting places to see in coastal Nova Scotia. So some day are given up for sightseeing. If you traveled from Jacksonville up, did the Loop, and returned by October 1st, that would be around 5,000 miles in 93 days or 54 miles everyday on average! Imo, it doesn't leave enough days for bad weather in the Gulf of ST Lawrence, the Atlantic around Nova Scotia, and the sightseeing. Keep in mind that the mid Atlantic and North will average more than 50% bad (very rough or stay in harbor) days after Labor day, on average. So it could take a while from Maine to Florida, especially if you plan to stay outside from Cape May, NJ south to FL.

How many miles per day do you normally cruise?

My initial thoughts were to head into the Gulf of St. Lawrence around the beginning of July.

Ted

Here's praying the vaccine settles things down. In August my longtime hiking buddy (he is a Pulmonologist in charge of the ICU's at Jackson's two largest hospitals), and our wives, are hiking the Tour de Mt Blanc. 112 mile jaunt around Mt Blanc, through France, Italy and Switzerland. Nights in lodges/B&B's... My buddy was about to retire when Covid hit - he will be ready for the hike, and much of the LOOP with us :thumb:

Then,
Departing Columbus MS on TennTom for the LOOP early Oct 2021. Leave boat in FL for holidays, come back Feb 2022 and head to the Bahamas for 3-4 weeks, then head north for the remainder of the LOOP.

Yes I understand that it ends in New York. I was assuming you were going from FL to NY, doing the Loop, and then bringing the boat back to FL, maybe not by the end of September.

Have done some research on doing the trip including information from a few who did it. First it's a lot of distance to cover with a large part in open water. It's my understanding that the navigation around New Brunswick and Nova Scotia is moving from safe harbor to safe harbor. This may limit the miles you cover each day. Then there are weather days when you won't move. Finally, there are a lot of interesting places to see in coastal Nova Scotia. So some day are given up for sightseeing. If you traveled from Jacksonville up, did the Loop, and returned by October 1st, that would be around 5,000 miles in 93 days or 54 miles everyday on average! Imo, it doesn't leave enough days for bad weather in the Gulf of ST Lawrence, the Atlantic around Nova Scotia, and the sightseeing. Keep in mind that the mid Atlantic and North will average more than 50% bad (very rough or stay in harbor) days after Labor day, on average. So it could take a while from Maine to Florida, especially if you plan to stay outside from Cape May, NJ south to FL.

How many miles per day do you normally cruise?

My initial thoughts were to head into the Gulf of St. Lawrence around the beginning of July.

Ted

Our Down East Loop trip was 10 weeks, Starting and ending in Gloucester, MA. We weren't rushing, but also weren't smelling all the roses. We had weather days on the outer St Lawrence as well as along the Nova Scotia coast, but no more than anywhere else, I'd say. Those are just the more exposed areas.

The area where there are limited stopping points forcing you to make specifically defined runs each day is along the St Lawrence down stream of Montreal. It's tidal at that point, so you need to ride the currents in your favor. The Canadian tidal book is worth every penny. Also brush up on your French. East of Quebec not many people speak English.

If your boat will fit, I'd highly recommend the Rideau up to Ottawa, then the Ottawa river down to Montreal. It's a real treat, and also bypasses the most commercial part of the St Lawrence seaway. But if you do that, make a day or two side trip from Kingston through the 1000 Islands region which is the beginning of the St Lawrence Seaway. Just run down, then come back and take the Rideau Route. But the Rideau is a 5' controlling depth, and they want to know in advance if you are over 4'. We were fine with 3' 10" draft and 47' length.

On, and you will only have access to 30A 120V power most of the time, so be prepared to deal with that. 50A was rare.

Our Down East Loop trip was 10 weeks, Starting and ending in Gloucester, MA. We weren't rushing, but also weren't smelling all the roses. We had weather days on the outer St Lawrence as well as along the Nova Scotia coast, but no more than anywhere else, I'd say. Those are just the more exposed areas.

The area where there are limited stopping points forcing you to make specifically defined runs each day is along the St Lawrence down stream of Montreal. It's tidal at that point, so you need to ride the currents in your favor. The Canadian tidal book is worth every penny. Also brush up on your French. East of Quebec not many people speak English.

If your boat will fit, I'd highly recommend the Rideau up to Ottawa, then the Ottawa river down to Montreal. It's a real treat, and also bypasses the most commercial part of the St Lawrence seaway. But if you do that, make a day or two side trip from Kingston through the 1000 Islands region which is the beginning of the St Lawrence Seaway. Just run down, then come back and take the Rideau Route. But the Rideau is a 5' controlling depth, and they want to know in advance if you are over 4'. We were fine with 3' 10" draft and 47' length.

On, and you will only have access to 30A 120V power most of the time, so be prepared to deal with that. 50A was rare.

Appreciate the information!

The Rideau, Ottawa, Ottawa river, and lake Champlain, were going to be this summer's trip and too much to see to also include the Down East Loop. Plan to spend more time than most on the South shores of Nova Scotia through Cape Cod when doing the Loop.

Only hiccup I see is that French stuff. :blush:

Ted

We’re moving to the upper Chesapeake in April and will cruise the bay extensively for two or more months then may head north to Long Island Sound then Block Island/ Newport then the coast of Maine.

Appreciate the information!

The Rideau, Ottawa, Ottawa river, and lake Champlain, were going to be this summer's trip and too much to see to also include the Down East Loop. Plan to spend more time than most on the South shores of Nova Scotia through Cape Cod when doing the Loop.

Only hiccup I see is that French stuff. :blush:

Ted

That would be a nice smaller loop. I'm been in Champlain in a smaller boat, but never transited in a larger boat.

Starting 30 Dec '20 - just getting safely down 560 miles of Tenn-Tombigee twists in a (shudder) gasoline-powered 44-foot (shudder again) houseboat. What are we thinking? At least we will be isolated a bit longer waiting for our geezer vax.

When Covid is over, and we feel safe to travel there are BIG changes for us. But... That won’t be for 2021 cruising season unfortunately.

First and foremost I get to finally pull the plug on my “day job”. I am only part time now, to keep insurance and pension, but it still hinders our travels.

That frees us up to go, to do, whatever we want as our business is set up to be run from anywhere with internet.

If, and here is the big If... If I can get my wife to go, my intention is to make the big journey south from Alaska.

She promised to go as far as Seattle. I am thinking I would prefer to do the Seward to Seattle portion myself, and have her join up for the trip south from there. We love wilderness cruising but I could easily burn her out with another 1500 NM of it.

The Sea of Cortez is calling my name. :) Only 3600 miles away.

Last edited:
Are there skippers in the Sea of Cortez dreaming of cruising to Seward?

Fishers Island and Westerly are also on the list. Summer 2020 was a challenge seemed like every week we had a new issue to contend with. Went 4 years with no major issues then they all hit at once. Doing a lot of preventative maintenance this off season so hopefully we are in good shape for 2021

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom