200Amp Alternators on Lehman’s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwestby

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nostra Casa
Vessel Make
C&L Puget Trawler 44
Some shiny new bling added to the Lehman’s, 200 Amp each engine going through a Victron charge manager into a new 1500 Amp hour Lithium battery bank. Solar on bimini also being added. Excited to see the speed of recharge with this setup.

Nostra Casa
1979 44’ Puget Trawler

IMG_2927.jpgIMG_2928.jpg
Pictures attached

Greetings,
Mr. k. Staaap!!! I can't look

iu

WAY too nice! They must be 135's. I can't see the infamous 120 fan belt "trapping hose" from the expansion tank.
What is the large black hose just aft of the injection pump?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. k. Staaap!!! I can't look

iu

WAY too nice! They must be 135's. I can't see the infamous 120 fan belt "trapping hose" from the expansion tank.
What is the large black hose just aft of the injection pump?

They are 120’s, just have it off while installing. Will zip tie a spare serpentine belt before reconnecting the cooling system. The black tubes are furnace ducting taken down for better access changing out engine mounts.

Some shiny new bling added to the Lehman’s, 200 Amp each engine going through a Victron charge manager into a new 1500 Amp hour Lithium battery bank. Solar on bimini also being added. Excited to see the speed of recharge with this setup.

Nostra Casa
1979 44’ Puget Trawler

I need to replace the old (dead) Ample Power unit that I had dedicated to the house bank...interested in the specifics on your new alternators...brand, model number, seller for your new units. Also the source for the serpentine pulley set. Thanks

Wow - that's a ton of charging capacity! I thought I was hot stuff with my single 100A Balmar on top of the stock unit on the other engine. Great that you have a bank that can accept all those amps. Let us know how it works!

BTW, are those really FL120s? I don't see any coolant, fuel, ATF or oil leaks, and all the paint looks perfect. I think that pulley set would die of embarrassment to be seen on one of my engines!

Is taking out the amount of power from the front of the engine your new alt set requires approved by the engine builder?

According to the Quickstart High Ouput Alternator website, an alternator consumes about one horsepower per 25 amps. So, a 200 HP alternator vs a 100 HP alternator would demand just four extra HP. I rather doubt that Lehman would know the difference.
Is taking out the amount of power from the front of the engine your new alt set requires approved by the engine builder?

Curious on if and how you plan to hook up both alternators to the same battery bank. I've never gotten a what I thought was a qualified answer, but there are those that say whenever you hook up 2 alternators to one bank, one of them will sense the voltage output from the other and go into idle mode contributing very little as if the bank was fully charged.

Curious on if and how you plan to hook up both alternators to the same battery bank. I've never gotten a what I thought was a qualified answer, but there are those that say whenever you hook up 2 alternators to one bank, one of them will sense the voltage output from the other and go into idle mode contributing very little as if the bank was fully charged.
I can't answer for the OP but I know of two solutions. Balmar Centerfielder or Wakespeed WS500. I'm in the early planning stages for upgrading alternators and putting the output from both into the house bank. I'm planning on using the WS500.

After reading an article somewhere I decided to just direct both alternators to charge house bank. The only test was to note the amp charge rate before on each and after combining. The Alt already charging house bank did not change, the other went up to same level. They both reduced rate of charge equally. Unscientific, but it seemed to recharge house bank faster.

Please add a complete detailed build. This is valuable info for many of us.

Congrats on knocking it out.

Please add a complete detailed build. This is valuable info for many of us.

Congrats on knocking it out.

We are using the Balmar Altmount kit incorporating the Centerfielder going to house lithium bank. I will post a full system layout

Don't you worry about having potentially 400 amps flowing. You can weld 1/2 steel with that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom