2006 Mainship 34t Hard top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mud skipper

Vessel Name
Do Over
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34 T
Hello Everyone!
Been hanging around here several years (figured it was time to say Hi).
We bought our Mainship in Oct 2018. It has twin 240 HP Yanmars with 900 hours.
The boat has the original canvas that needs replacing, so this was the perfect time to build and install a Hard top.
So i went out and bought myself a Harbor Fright pipe bender, pipe roller and notcher. I have a Miller Econotig And figured i would give it a try.

Attachments

• KIMG0078.jpg
    KIMG0078.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 25
  • KIMG0119.jpg
    KIMG0119.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • KIMG0125.jpg
    KIMG0125.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 24
  • KIMG0127.jpg
    KIMG0127.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
Impressive! What are your plans for the cover? Have you considered adding mounting pads for antenna or lights?

Man, that looks sweet. What are you going to use for a skin?

Very nice, watching...:popcorn:

I think I'm going to skin it with white on white .065 aluminum. I did a job about 30 years ago with it and it still looks great. Yes i have thought about mounting for the Radar and antennas.

Attachments

• KIMG0138.jpg
    KIMG0138.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 25
I did one with Stamoid heavy. It held up 10 years. The white is a bear to keep clean. If you do aluminum I would suggest you don’t buy coated. Better to Variprime and Awlgrip

While you are building you might think about adding alum awning rail around the edges. https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Aluminum-96

If you are planning on adding curtains now or its a possibility in the future it would make a clean install. Kedder welt slides into the track and you or any canvas shop can attach anything you want now or later.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm also looking at this one. I have a sample piece and it fits nicely on the 2" pipe.
https://www.sailrite.com/Flex-A-Rail-White-45
That rail also works well. Only downside I'd say is the attachment screws are small and a little tedious to install. Get & use the specific screws to avoid an interference with the welt. Also get one or more of the bits as they are not common.
If you add curtains the kidder welt is easier to work with & slide in place that the vinyl welt... worth the extra $.
https://www.sailrite.com/Keder-Awning-Rope-Tape

I wouldn’t use the vinyl keder rail. Besides the issue with the screws, it uses #4 screws, that are used to attach it, the vinyl rail over time will sag between the screws. Use an aluminum keder rail, you can use reasonably sized screws that you can actually get a good sized tool on. It will hold your side curtains over time without sagging. You don’t need to use the rail in the corners. The keder strip that slides into the rail will help keep the side curtains supported in the corners where the rail stops at the curve. I did this on my hard top. The aluminum keder rail stops where the hardtop starts to curve at the corners.

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the replies.
I used 3/4 " ID pipe welded to 1/4 x 2 1/2" flat stock to make the hand rail down the center.

Attachments

• KIMG0132.jpg
    KIMG0132.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 25
Making good progress.
All the aluminum sheets are in place, and secured with 5200 and 3/16" aluminum rivets.
It's weight is 240LBS.
One concern i have is, will the heat from the Sun expand and wrinkle the aluminum.

Attachments

• KIMG0152.jpg
    KIMG0152.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 20
  • KIMG0151.jpg
    KIMG0151.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 21
  • KIMG0156.jpg
    KIMG0156.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
  • KIMG0150.jpg
    KIMG0150.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20
  • KIMG0158.jpg
    KIMG0158.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 22
Looking at building something similar on a Nordic tug 32. What you have done looks great.
What did you have into pipe bender and notcher? Have tig, also not familiar at all with the sheets you are putting down. What is that?

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. I have similar aspirations for our Albin, but not sure I'll ever get to it.

Looking at building something similar on a Nordic tug 32. What you have done looks great.
What did you have into pipe bender and notcher? Have tig, also not familiar at all with the sheets you are putting down. What is that?

The pipe roller is from Harbor Freight, $200
The bender was also around $200. I did have to fill the pipe with play sand in order for the pipe not to kink.
The Aluminum sheets I used are .063 and can be bought in many different colors. The sheets are mainly used for the exterior of Commercial buildings. Sign companies also use it because of the many different colors.
As far as the durability of the paint, The marine environment is very harsh, and only time will tell.

Attachments

• KIMG0160_01_BURST1000160_COVER.jpg
    KIMG0160_01_BURST1000160_COVER.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
Not sure I have ever seen the aluminum sign material for sale here in South Dakota at steel supplier. Like it a lot though, pipe bender was extremely cheap as was the notcher. That is a definite for the project. Could also use it for a radar tower build etc. thanks for the post will use the ideas.

I'm on my way to the marina this Morning to meet the Crane operator.
I will be driving very slow, and avoiding the highways.

Attachments

• KIMG0187.jpg
    KIMG0187.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 21
  • KIMG0188.jpg
    KIMG0188.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 21
Hello,

Checking back in on Bimini you built. I am new to doing anything on salt water. Debating using aluminum or stainless pipe for Bimini. How is aluminum holding up?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom